Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Upstate New York - Canada event information and discussion forum.

Old July 29, 2007   #1
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Default WNY TOMATO PARTY!!!!!! announcement

Hi All,
Mark(Korney19) and I have decided that the WNY tomato party will be Sat. Sept. 8th starting at 1pm.

It will be held on Grand Island rain or shine. Please post here or email me for directions.

Attendees are asked to bring tomatoes to sample. You don't need a lot, in case your garden is small. I don't want anyone backing out because they don't think their tomatoes aren't good enough! Don't worry if they are hybrids or supposedly common. If it tastes good, it tastes good!

Attendees are also asked to bring a dish to eat. If it contains veggies from the garden all the better. But we do need a few deserts. If you do not want to cook, you can bring an alternate item like pop or water. Please let me know what you plan on bringing, so we don't get 10 of the same thing, lol. I will be supplying meat and my husband to cook it! If you want, you can bring beer or wine.

We will definitely have a vote for the tomatoes of best flavor, maybe even do it by type. We could also do ugliest and largest too. All ideas are welcome.

Children are welcome to come. There is a wooden swingset, a hiking trail, and lots of toys. My sis-in-law will be bringing her 4 boys ages 2-9 so there will be other kids to play with.

Mark is still trying to come up with an acronym for the group, because we plan to make this a yearly event. I thought we should decide at the party which name to use. Here's some examples from Mark:
BUFTAG (BUFfalo Tomato Aficionados Group, or BUFfalo (or Buffalo User Friendly) Tomato Associate Growers)
BUFFTAG (BUFfalo Friends & Tomato Associates (or Aficionados) Group)
NFTA (Niagara Frontier Tomato Authorities) (or Aficionados or Associates)(if we get hassled, see next line...)
NFTAG (above plus Group or Growers)
UNYTAG (Upstate NY...)
WNYTAG (Western NY...)
HOPTAG (Heirloom & Open Pollinated Tomato...)
HOPtoWNY (Heirloom & Open Pollinated tomatogrowers of Western NY)(or Hybrid & OP...)
BUFFApalooza
WNYpalooza
BUFTFest (BUFfalo Tomato Fest)
Mine was NFTE for Niagara Frontier Tomato Enthusiasts
If you've got a name bring it.

I'm really looking forward to this. It is going to be lots of fun.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
Old July 29, 2007   #2
dcarch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by remy View Post
-------------Mark is still trying to come up with an acronym for the group, because we plan to make this a yearly event. I thought we should decide at the party which name to use. Here's some examples from Mark:
BUFTAG (BUFfalo Tomato Aficionados Group, or BUFfalo (or Buffalo User Friendly) Tomato Associate Growers)
BUFFTAG (BUFfalo Friends & Tomato Associates (or Aficionados) Group)
NFTA (Niagara Frontier Tomato Authorities) (or Aficionados or Associates)(if we get hassled, see next line...)
NFTAG (above plus Group or Growers)
UNYTAG (Upstate NY...)
WNYTAG (Western NY...)
HOPTAG (Heirloom & Open Pollinated Tomato...)
HOPtoWNY (Heirloom & Open Pollinated tomatogrowers of Western NY)(or Hybrid & OP...)
BUFFApalooza
WNYpalooza
BUFTFest (BUFfalo Tomato Fest)
Mine was NFTE for Niagara Frontier Tomato Enthusiasts
If you've got a name bring it.
----------------
Remy

dcarch (Z6 NY)
Old July 29, 2007   #3
tomatoaddict

How about Mark's BOP-TO-FEST...Buffalo Open Pollinated Tomato Organizers.. Fest..
Old July 29, 2007   #4
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

I forgot a couple...
UNYpalooza (Upstate NY...)
BANFATfest (Buffalo And Niagara Frontier All Tomato fest)

lol.
Old July 30, 2007   #5
Hilde
Tomatovillian™

This sounds wonderful! It will be a lot of fun!

About names: How about...
WUNYTAG? (Western and Upstate New York Tomato Aficionados Group)

I also like NFTE, because it includes many of our Canadian friends that might want to attend.

Hilde
Old July 31, 2007   #6
remy

Dcarch,
That would make a great shirt! I think it might be difficult to write in in a title though there is no heart shaped tomato key on my keyboard.

Mark,
If we had a BANFATfest, I don't think I would be allowed in!

Terry,
I think BOP-TO-FEST sounds like we are having a sock hop. I make too word associations with these titles!

Hilde,
It would be nice to work Canada in somehow.
I'm going to PM you about directions.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Old July 31, 2007   #7
korney19

I think we need a Guest of Honor...

like EARL...
Old August 1, 2007   #8
Hilde
Tomatovillian™

I would love to meet Earl, both the real one and the faux one!

Hilde
Old August 1, 2007   #9
remy

Hilde,
I'm going to do that in a couple weeks! I'm going to CHOPTAG, and I'm assuming someone will have a ripe Earl's Faux.
Hopefully, I or someone else will have a ripe one for our party too.

A note for everyone,
Contest winners will be getting prizes!!! You have to come to win. Prizes will be awarded for best tasting, biggest by weight, and ugliest.
Remy

Old August 1, 2007   #10
korney19

Maybe Hilde can meet both the one and only Earl, and Earl's Faux!
Old August 19, 2007   #11
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Ok...count me in, and I might be bringing somebody else that's just getting into the whole heirloom/OP thing....even more of a rookie than moi. LOL
I'll need directions, could you email or pm them to me? I'll bring some other nibblies. Anybody into dolma's? - they're stuffed grape leaves and vegetarian. I could bring those and some other stuff like baba ghanouj and hummus. Unfortunately my eggplants plants died before I could get any, so will have to suffice with some made from bought eggplant. Anything else needed?

I'm hoping that I'll have some maters actually ripe by then. I was so late getting mine in this year that their only just getting any size to them. Still barely at the setting flowers stage for any of my peppers and only a handful of beans so far. I'm hoping to have some of the "Waterloo County Mennonite Pole Bean" to share with those interested in trying it. If I'm lucky I may even have an real name for it by then. Long story, but its source is from Amish Mennonites here in Waterloo Region by way of the Doon Heritage Crossroads Museum's Mennonite Farmhouse kitchen garden.
Old August 21, 2007   #12
korney19

Has anyone contacted you with directions Zana? Will you be staying at the No-Tell, or just coming for the day?

Grand Island is between Buffalo & Niagara Falls. You can come over either bridge (Peace Bridge in Buffalo or Rainbow Bridge in the Falls.) The QEW ends at Fort Erie (the Peace Bridge) and on our side it's the I-190... you'd go I-190 North to Grand Island. I'd have have to find directions if you came thru Niagara Falls/Rainbow Bridge... I think you take the Robert Moses Parkway to the I-190 South to Grand Island...

Once you get off the I-190 on Grand Island, it's easy... maybe Remy will e-mail or PM you if she didn't already...
Old August 22, 2007   #13
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Nope! And I know where Grand Island is...and even the Robert Moses Parkway. Also know that the outlet mall is verrrrrrrrry close by too.....hehehehe....have a feeling I might just have to make a duo purpose trip.

I'm having probs with my own computer which is probably on its last legs for its operating system. So unless I upgrade the O/S or get a new computer, I can't reply to posts on TV as speedily as I'd like (I need to be able to access my bro's laptop to do it...or somebody else's.). But I can read them. So if somebody wants to email or PM me the directions that would be great.

Definitely looking forward to it. I'm going to try to get some pickling done before then. I'll bring some of the Armenian Dill Pickles (if there's any left in the cold cellar - otherwise it will be from the new batch and they won't be ready by then.) and some of the Armenian Mixed Dill Pickles (Tourshi) - which are ready and from last year's batch. I have no idea what or how much of any of my toms, beans, peppers or cukes will be ready by then. But will try to bring a sampling. This cool weather this week is not helping much. Although the rain is cutting down on how much watering I have to do of the pots and containers.
Old August 22, 2007   #14
remy

Hi Zana,
I know I emailed or pmed you directions. I'll have to check and re-send. I just got back from Cincinnati tonight. I went to the Choptag party on Sat. I'm tired, so I'll do it tomorrow.
Talk to you soon,
Remy

Old August 22, 2007   #15
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Hi Remy,
I must be losing my mind. Just checked my pm's and found yours from 2 weeks ago. Got the directions. See you there.
Zana