Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Upstate New York - Canada event information and discussion forum.

Old August 31, 2007   #16
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Dcarch,
Too bad your trip was timed wrong! It would of been great to have you at the party. Maybe next year you can plan around it.

Zana,
I don't think Mark really needed any interpreting, because the women of the "Canadian Ballet" are tomatoes, and you know Mark knows tomatoes pretty well!
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
Old August 31, 2007   #17
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Yes, they have very nice tomatoes in Canada, however, they are quite firm... like store-bought ones...
Old August 31, 2007   #18
remy

Quote:
Originally Posted by korney19 View Post
Yes, they have very nice tomatoes in Canada, however, they are quite firm... like store-bought ones...
That is too funny, best laugh I've had all day.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Old September 5, 2007   #19
korney19

Maybe we can coordinate a "possible varieties" list as well as what foods/supplies everyone may be bringing?

Here's a preliminary Award Certificate I've been working on:

I will print up 1 or 2 for each class/category. The jpeg above isn't as big or clear as the prints will be. It will be nearly 8.5 x 11" so can be trimmed to 8x10 for framing. Plus it will be done on a color laser so the "inks" will be waterproof...

Too bad we didn't know anybody in the T-shirt business... LOL. Matter of fact, maybe if printed in reverse, laser prints maybe can be ironed on...??? hmmm... Anybody know?
Old September 5, 2007   #20
Zana
Tomatovillian™

I'm still planning on being there. I'm not sure if anybody will be driving down with me from Kitchener, as yet. As of this afternoon, the closest I've got to anything ripe to bring would be some rather small (at least I think so) Moldovan Greens, some Lemon Cukes, some of the Waterloo County Mennonite Pole Beans, some Uncle Steve's Italian Pole Beans. Unless some of the stuff that is blushing right now ripens between now and Saturday, that might be about it. But that's better than I expected a week ago.

You can get the iron on sheets that you can laser print at office supply places. I'll poke around tomorrow when I'm picking up some other stuff.

BTW are furry kids welcome?
Old September 5, 2007   #21
korney19

Huh? you got little kids that look like Bigfoot up there?

Actually, PM Remy to ask about it, I haven't seen anything mentioned one way or the other.

You may also want to PM barkeater to see what the border rules & regulations are. I know many veggies are allowed over but don't have an answer on "furry" things...
Old September 5, 2007   #22
korney19

Anyone have a color laser and an old sheet and an iron?

I never tried it... I have with inkjets and photo transfer paper but results were never that great--the photo paper always had a yellowy look to it which got transferred to the garment... plus a rubbery feel.

I remember many years ago reading an article in Computer Shopper I believe... they took artwork or photos and photocopied them with a Canon or HP copier I think... they use the same principle as laser printers--the "ink" gets heated and fused... I think they were dealing with just grayscale images and copy machines back then... but I believe they just reversed the type or image and photocopied it and used one of those bigger square T-shirt irons and iron it on--the iron reheats the toner and fuses it to the cotton I thought...

Do they make photo transfer paper for laser printers? I thought maybe they'd heat up the adhesive and gunk up the laser printer...
Old September 5, 2007   #23
Zana
Tomatovillian™

I've travelled across the border with my dogs many times over the years. NP as long as you have proof of shots, etc. Most of the time if the dog is asleep in the back they don't even ask. LOL

I'm not sure whether I'd bring the Westie or not, it will depend on whether Remy is ok with the idea, and whether the Westie is up to the trip. She was just diagnosed with bone cancer in the past week and the prognosis is that she's got a matter of weeks. (Hopefully longer, as long as she's comfortable.) That's the reason I don't want to leave her at home. But I can make arrangements for another family member to be with her, if need be.
Old September 5, 2007   #24
Zana
Tomatovillian™

I haven't done transfers on tshirts in years, so I'm no expert. But I could ask the computer geeks at the store. LOL
Old September 5, 2007   #25
tomatoaddict

Okay.....
Mark, anytime you want t-shirts done, let me know in advance.
My brother that lives in Toronto has a promotional marketing business. He does work for alot of big accounts like the Mapleleafs. He will do any shirts for me at cost.
Zana, I can't believe you live in Kitchener. My brother's best friend since High School lives there. He is coming to the tomato tasting. If you want a riding companion and someone to split gas let me know and I will tell him. He is perfectly safe very nice guy.
I am bringing my furry kid. I don't know what tomatoes I will have as my season is almost done.
I am bringing Brownies and some fried peppers for the eating. If there is something specific you need, let me know.
See you guys Sat.......
Old September 5, 2007   #26
Zana
Tomatovillian™

I was thinking about throwing together some baba ghanoush, hummus ....maybe some baklava...(provided nobody's allergic to nuts)....and bring some tourshi and dill pickled beans too. Whatcha think?

Sounds like a plan as far as another for the drive, but would he be willing to make a stop at the outlet mall?...lol
Old September 5, 2007   #27
tomatoaddict

Zana, this guy can shop with the best of us. He's not gay though that is what is so weird. He's a dynamiter. I don't know if that is what they are really called. Guys that go up north and blow up things.
Old September 5, 2007   #28
korney19

Huh?
Old September 5, 2007   #29
remy

Zana,
A dog is no problem as long as it is not a wanderer or have a long leash ready. There is no fenced in area. My sis-in-law will probably bring hers, a very calm shy dog, and like Terry said she is bringing hers too which is a small dog. So it is safe to bring your Westie.
I've had no one say anything about allergies. I would think they would of told me, so it should be no problem.
I would also love to taste the pole beans!

Mark,
I think people are just going to show up with whatever tomatoes look good for picking. I have quite a few that are looking good for this weekend, but I don't want to jinx my self!
I don't think we will end up with a bunch of the same food. This group likes food too much for that to happen
Remy

Old September 5, 2007   #30
tomatoaddict

Remy
I have some things for you when I get there and you are right,
our group likes food. LOL

I don't know what they are called Mark. Guys that blow up rock and stuff.