Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 7, 2018   #1
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Default Bee Sting wow Painful

Just experienced my first bee sting. One hour has passed.

How did this happen? I went to the grocery to buy bug spray and do some weeding. When I reached into my purse for the car keys, I experienced an intense ★★★★★.

My first thought was that the pin on my work badge had come undone and went as far as possible into the fleshy part of my palm. After a few seconds of smarting I looked inside my purse and saw the black and yellow striped culprit.

Went back into the grocery and announced at the pharmacy that had just been stung. I must have had a panic look on my face. Asked what should I do.

The pharmacist took me over to the antihistamine and told me to take one or two asap. It would make me very sleepy in half an hour. It is now an hour and I do feel it!

I had the help of someone behind the counter to open the pill and get a free bottle of water. She stayed with me for a few minutes in the private consultation room till I gave the thumbs up. Will go back and thank her!

Soaked hand in red wine vinegar after I drove home. Bag of frozen vegetables at my side. The rash isn't spreading so fingers crossed against any further reaction. No pulling weeds today.

- Lisa

-

Last edited by greenthumbomaha; June 7, 2018 at 03:46 PM. Reason: the blocked word is pin pr!ck
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2018   #2
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

so sorry to read of your unpleasant experience - did you see which type?

Last year I got my first serious one (I've had a few "hey get your hand out of here" jabs from bees working my bush beans when I was picking them years ago).....

But I was mowing my lawn, on a hill area - felt something really get me - didn't think much of it, then when I went over the same area discovered I was bothering an in-ground yellow jacket nest - they were not happy with me - I got stung a few times - made a paste of baking soda and water and caked it on, took a benedryl - not fun at all!

Yes, leave the weed pulling, for sure! Hope you feel better really soon.
Old June 7, 2018   #3
Patihum
Tomatovillian™

Much better than taking an antihistamine pill and waiting for it to work - buy some children's liquid Benadryl and use that. Because it's a liquid it goes to work MUCH faster. I have quite a reaction to stings and by using it I've avoided trips to the doctor/emergency room. (I swell up like a balloon!) Usually I don't even know I've been stung in just a hour or two.
Patihum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2018   #4
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Agree completely on the Benadryl and other comments above. Another trick to help with the pain- cigarette or chewing tobacco. Most bee/wasp venoms contain strong acids, and the nicotine in tobacco is a base that will neutralize said acids. Baking soda can also help. I don't smoke or chew, but I keep a pack of Red Man tobacco in my pantry for those times when I run into yellow jacket nests out in the yard. Hope you get better soon!!

Last edited by Spartanburg123; June 7, 2018 at 05:30 PM. Reason: text error
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2018   #5
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

The other thing I've heard of is plantain - chew up plantain into a poultice and apply to the sting - my wife's friend suggests that....we have a "lawn" (so to speak!) that has lots of it - next sting, that's what I will try! (our lawn is a mix of weeds, mostly - when mowed, it is nice and green! No Roundup in our yard!)
Old June 7, 2018   #6
pondgardener
Tomatovillian™

Craig,

I had an encounter with ground wasps once when I was out golfing with friends. I had just finished hitting the ball when I felt a sharp sting. I swatted the insect and that was when all hell broke loose. Apparently they can release an alarm pheromone in their venom sacs and signal the rest of the nest to attack. I was stung numerous times on the arms and legs as I attempted to get away from them. My golf partners were amused at my wild, flailing gestures to rid myself of the attackers. Fortunately, I was not allergic to the venom but the anti-histamine and topical lotions helped with the stings. And I was more observant in the future about where I stood or walked when I was out on the course.

George

Old Proverb
pondgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2018   #7
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Be sure to tell your physician that you had a rash as a reaction to this sting. It also would be good to know what type of bee stung you because you may not have a reaction to all kinds of bees. He might want to give you an Epi-Pen.

I became allergic to Yellow Jackets when I was 40. While I had been stung by them before this time I turned into a tomato (no pun intended). I turned red and my face became very swollen. My chest was covered in hives (a rash) my eyelids swelled to the point that my eye lashes were inside against my eyeballs. I had to go to the ER. So far I am not allergic to any other kinds of bees or wasps, just the Yellow Jackets which are the ones that live in the ground.

Placing on onion on the sting is also said to help draw out the venom. Impatiens capensis or Jewelweed is also very soothing for any insect bites.
Old June 8, 2018   #8
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctomatoman View Post
The other thing I've heard of is plantain - chew up plantain into a poultice and apply to the sting - my wife's friend suggests that....we have a "lawn" (so to speak!) that has lots of it - next sting, that's what I will try! (our lawn is a mix of weeds, mostly - when mowed, it is nice and green! No Roundup in our yard!)
Is it every kind of plantain that is good for bee and nettle stings or is it only the round leaf?
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2018   #9
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

The plantain, I know relieves itch from some insect bites. It works in seconds on me. But I dunno how effective is it on bees sting. I would take Benedryl (?). tablet.
I was once stung by a wasp, on my finger while riding bicycle on the street. My hand and wrist swelled like a sponge cake. I went to clinic. They gave me just a bag of ice to put on it. That did it, no medication.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2018   #10
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I heard yesterday about a guy that got bit by a rattlesnake head he had chopped off.
Darn near killed him because the head pumped all of the venom in him not just a little.
Who in their right mind would pick up a snake head.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...h2TSO_3MnwHsMc
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2018   #11
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Since I have been stung a lot due to years of gardening, yard work, fishing and hunting I have tried most of the home remedies and the only one that works consistently and fast for me is to apply wet tobacco of some form immediately to the sting and hold it in place for a few minutes. The stronger the tobacco the better. If you are allergic then you should get the advice of a doctor.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2018   #12
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Worst bee sting ever, right in the right eye lid with a bee hood on.
Eye lid puffed up and swollen shut for about three days.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2018   #13
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

Worth there are lots of nerves in the facial area. I got stung in the eyebrow by a wasp and BOY did that hurt and swell up!
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2018   #14
ako1974
Tomatovillian™

I'm glad you're ok. Unexpected stings hurt more. I've been stung plenty when I've seen it coming.

The worst unexpected one was under the fingernail when I was removing one of my hive's outer covers. Sent an electric shock straight up my arm.
Old June 8, 2018   #15
Urbanheirlooms
Tomatovillian™

I've been stung over a hundred times in my lifetime due to my job and time spent outdoors. You never get use to it, but I am lucky to never really have reactions to them. My worst experience was one evening about dark I went out on our patio wearing only socks and stepped on a European hornet which stung me in between two middle toes. It felt like someone drove a nail into my foot. Usually most stings get better after 20 minutes or so-not this one. It hurt like heck all night and persisted for days. Funny thing I did not see a stinger at the sting site nor did my foot swell any. I had noticed the bee around the door and light earlier, but didn't think anything of it. After researching this bee, I found out it is actually after the other bugs which are attracted to the light. They are not typically aggressive either, it would not have stung me had I not stepped on it. It definitely ranks up there with the most painful experience I have ever had.

Last edited by Urbanheirlooms; June 8, 2018 at 01:02 PM.
Urbanheirlooms is offline   Reply With Quote