Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old February 12, 2006   #1
Warped
Tomatovillian™

Default newbie

I havnt grown peppers before and was wondering what would be a good yielding variety to try for a first timer (also one that is hugely sensitive to the colder months)
Warped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2006   #2
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default HI AGAIN

Hi Warped,
I'll try and remember to pop some samples in with your seeds. This season, you haven't got that much time, but you could cut the chase and head to the nursery for some Jalapenos, Thai types and Seranos (very easy and productive).

I'm new to hot peppers, though, and I'm sure others might know of some cold tolerant or short-season types.

Cheers, Grub
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2006   #3
landarc
Tomatovillian™

I have had reliable success with jalapeno and serrano chiles. They seem to be quite prolific and here in the SF Bay area. I have been able to overwinter them in the ground with no problem also. I would try nursery starts for a first time attempt as Grub said.

Bob
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2006   #4
sacratomato70
Tomatovillian™

Default Peppers to Grow

Hi Warped,
When it comes to peppers, I feel like a kid in a candy store. There are so many varieties to try. Serranos and jalapenos are great for starters. Both produce excellent yields and they can be overwintered provided that you do not have snow or excessive frost in your area. "Early Jalapeno" is known to be a short season type.
Some of my favorites include Pasilla Bajio, Purple jalapeno, Japones, Chili D'arbol, Guajillo, Kung Pao, Poblano, Habanero, and Thai Dragon to name a few. All of these varieties are available by seed, but if you can find plants they are definitely worth a try. These varieties tend to be a more cold sensitive.
If you have a sunny window, you can grow habaneros indoors and transplant after winter ends. I grew one indooors over winter several years ago and it did very well. It flowered in the spring and we had habaneros by the beginning of summer. Good luck

Stephanie
sacratomato70 is offline   Reply With Quote