Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old April 12, 2015   #1
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Default Garlic Sprouting Before My Eyes!

Today was the day the layer of leaves was gently raked off my garlic. It was cold, wet, and still a bit frozen underneath, but today was sunny and in the 60's so I knew things would warm up quite a bit.

After getting the leaves off, I took a quick count to see how many had come up for each of the five varieties.

Chinese Pink 8 out of 8
German White - 40 out of 40
Siberian - 20 out of 40
Music - 10 out of 40
Metechi - 1 out of 40

I spent a couple of hours raking and cleaning up, then had a final look at the sprouts. In just those two hours, seven more Music seedling and three more Siberians broke ground! I'm hoping the rest come up over the next couple of days. All except for German White are new seed stock and I can't wait to see how they do.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2015   #2
JoParrott

Garlic is so tough-- here in WA mine get planted in late October and during the winter they get frozen back at least 3 times- however they all come through and are now about 12" tall. I will harvest in June/July.
Old April 12, 2015   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I need to plant garlic this fall you guys dont forget to remind me.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2015   #4
RayR
Tomatovillian™

I checked my beds today, I only have 50 cloves planted and all of them have popped through the shredded leaf mulch.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2015   #5
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

Congrats to everyone with sprouted garlic!

My schedule is like JoParrott's with planting in October, cutting scapes in June, and harvesting in July. This March I experimented with about a dozen cloves from last year and planted them when the weather was nice. They're up about 4" and doing well. I'll compare them to the ones I planted in October.

Worth, why don't you try planting a few now? I don't think you plant the same type of garlic as we do where the cold lingers . . . and lingers. We plant the hardneck and I'm assuming you plant the softneck. Or maybe you should try both?
guruofgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2015   #6
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

My schedule is also the same in a typical year. I planted at the end of October, but this was the year winter would not end! My garden beds were covered in snow until about two weeks ago, and the leaves I mulched them with were a frozen block until late last week. So they got an extra long nap this year.

Worth, you can try planting some softneck garlic now. My parents just take a few heads of grocery store garlic and plant the cloves in the spring. But you can buy better quality softneck seed stock.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote