Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old March 18, 2006   #1
TexasTomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Default Rocoto in the shade.

Someone suggested growing my rocotos (pubescans) in the shade to increase the odds of success. I'm in central texas and the heat down here in summer is supposedly not great for this plant that is native to elevated and cool mountain areas. Any one have any experience with growing them in partial shade?
TexasTomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2006   #2
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Default Re: Rocoto in the shade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTomatoes
Someone suggested growing my rocotos (pubescans) in the shade to increase the odds of success. I'm in central texas and the heat down here in summer is supposedly not great for this plant that is native to elevated and cool mountain areas. Any one have any experience with growing them in partial shade?
I grow most of my peppers in pots on the east side just at the edge of the canopy of a well limbed up/thinned out live oak tree. And they love it.

Ends up being great full sun most of the day in the spring because the sun is so low, then in the summer, they get full sun until about 6-12:30, and various degrees of dappled sun for the rest of the day (mostly part shade) after that.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2006   #3
svalli
Tomatovillian™

Last summer I grew Rocotos first time. The hottest months I kept them in pots on the north side of the house. They got a little sun in the morning and and little in the evening. They seemed to like it and I was able to harvest some pods too.
svalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2006   #4
Love2Troll
Tomatovillian™

Rocotos are very adaptable to light conditions, but do not do well in high temps. They might survive and blossom, but won't set fruit. A good strategy is to think of them as a two year project and hope for early blooms during spring of the second year. They do well in containers and make an excellent indoor plant in a south window.

jt
Love2Troll is offline   Reply With Quote