Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old September 15, 2012   #46
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Spicy Carrot Cupcakes

source: My online recipes, tnt

INGREDIENTS
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup Butter, melted
1 cup milk
3 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 tablespoon lemon juice
5 medium (1 1/2 cups) carrots, shredded
1/2 cup raisins
Powdered sugar

DIRECTIONS
• Heat oven to 350°F.
• Line muffin pans with paper baking cups.
• Combine all ingredients in large mixer bowl except carrots, raisins and
• powdered sugar.
• Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until well mixed (2 to 3 minutes).
• Add carrots and raisins; mix well.
• Fill each paper-lined muffin cup with about 1/4 cup cupcake batter.
• Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
• Remove cupcakes from pans; cool completely.
• Sprinkle with powdered sugar.

Makes 2 dozen cupcakes.
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2012   #47
Zana
Tomatovillian™

GLAZED CARROT COINS

INGREDIENTS
2 T. butter
2 T. brown sugar
2 T. orange juice
¼ t. salt
¼ t. ginger
1/8 t. cinnamon
6 medium carrots, sliced ½-inch thick

DIRECTIONS
• Melt butter.
• Stir in brown sugar, juice, salt, ginger and cinnamon.
• Add carrots; cover and cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until tender.
Old September 15, 2012   #48
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Maple Baked Radishes

12/22/2011 9:18:55 AM
By Tabitha Alterman
Tags: radishes, recipes, spring

Have you ever tried a baked radish? Roasting tones down the heat of the mustard oil in raw radishes, and real maple syrup amps up their sweetness.
Ingredients:
1 bunch radishes, scrubbed, topped and tailed 

2 to 3 tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature (If using salted butter, omit the extra salt.) 

1 to 2 tbsp real maple syrup 

1/2 to 1 tsp salt 

1 to 2 tsp cinnamon, ground (optional) 

1/2 to 1 tbsp fresh ginger root, grated (optional)

Instructions:
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
In a small baking dish, coat the radishes in the softened butter, then pour the maple syrup over them.
Sprinkle on a dusting of salt, cinnamon and ginger, if using.
Adjust the quantities of cinnamon and ginger to your liking.
Bake for about 30 minutes, or until a knife or fork can be easily inserted into a radish.
See Also: All About Real Maple Syrup

Read more: http://www.motherearthnews.com/relis...#ixzz1jmIyjDmC
Old September 15, 2012   #49
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Maple-Teriyaki Beets
Melissa Breyer
May 8, 2009

I can eat a whole raw beet out of my hand like an apple, and although I may have pink hands for a week, it’s always worth it. That said, I find that I equally enjoy beets cooked in any number of ways. Can you tell I like beets? This recipe for broiled beets with a garlicky-sweet teriyaki sauce comes from Farmer John’s Cookbook: The Real Dirt on Vegetables (Gibbs Smith, 2006) and does some magic to the unadulterated beauty of straight beets. Even avowed beet naysayers might find themselves singing the praises of these.

INGREDIENTS
12 small or 6 medium beets, scrubbed and trimmed

1/4 butter (or olive oil)

2 tablespoons maple syrup

1 tablespoon minced or pressed garlic

1 tablespoon finely chopped or grated fresh ginger

1 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari

DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat over to 400F degrees.

2. Place beets in a small roasting pan with 1/2 cup water. Cover with foil and bake until beets are easily pierced with a sharp knife, 45 minutes to 1 hour depending on size.

3. Preheat the broiler.

4. Allow beets to cool slightly, then run under cold water and slip off their skins. Slice into 1/4-inch rounds.

5. Melt the butter in a small pan over medium heat. Stir in the maple syrup, garlic, ginger, and soy sauce or tamari. When the ingredients are thoroughly combined, remove from heat.

6. Put the beets in a shallow baking pan and pour the maple syrup mixture over them. Broil, stirring occasionally, until tender, 5 to 10 minutes.

Read more: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/map...#ixzz1pV8EBWMe
Old September 15, 2012   #50
Zana
Tomatovillian™

The Beauty of Beets
Chaya, selected from Networx
August 16, 2011

There are many variations on Moroccan beet salad, but this is a good beet recipe with which to start: Use high quality, fresh, organically grown beets if you can get them. This recipe is inspired by a recipe in Faye Levy’s 1,000 Jewish Recipes.

Moroccan Beets
Yield: 2-3 servings

Ingredients
4-5 small beets, or 2-3 large
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 medium clove garlic, pressed or finely minced
2 tablespoons olive oil

How to
Chop stems and leaves off beets if present. (These can be used in the same manner as chard.) Rinse beets and put in saucepan covered by at least one inch of water, bring to a boil. Cover and simmer on low heat for 30-40 minutes, or until tender (shorter for small beets, longer for larger).
When tender, pour out hot water and replace with cool water in order to cool beets. Once cool enough to handle, peel skins. They should slip off easily. Cut beets into 1/2-inch cubes, or a different size as you prefer.
Mix lemon juice and other ingredients in a bowl and pour over beets. Toss gently and serve cold or at room temperature.

Read more: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/kit...#ixzz1pV9maSzd
Old September 15, 2012   #51
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Pink and Black Radish Bake
12/20/2011 1:15:11 PM
By Jennifer Kongs

Tags: jennifer kongs, radish recipes, winter recipes, black radishes, pink radishes, winter vegetables

Winter radishes, especially the black globes that are common in Russian cuisine, are not the crisp salad adornments most North Americans picture upon hearing the word "radish." The whole idea of a black vegetable is, at first, a little off-putting for most. However, black winter radishes make great root cellar keepers that won't get pithy even if kept for months. Plus, they are only black on the outside, with snow-white interiors, which adds a nice design element if cooking with presentation in mind. The only black radishes I've come across have been at a farmers market, of the 'Round Black Spanish' variety. They are tasty sliced raw and paired with a strong cheese and salt, but I prefer to mix them with other radishes of brighter colors and serve atop a bed of greens to make this warming winter side dish.

Ingredients
Black radishes, scrubbed
Pink radishes, either round or cylindrical 

Olive oil 

Salt and pepper 

Salad greens

Procedure
If not already, top and tail all your radishes. Using a vegetable peeler, peel the skins of the black radishes off in stripes, to create a "zebra-stripe" effect. You can also opt to get zany and do swirls or even peel words out of the skin as well. The black will not cook away, so you can definitely play with this neat feature and have fun with your dish's presentation. Toss all the radishes with olive oil, salt and pepper to taste before arranging them on a baking sheet and placing them in an oven preheated to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Every 20 minutes or so, stir the radishes around and check their tenderness by piercing with a fork. I leave my radishes to roast a full hour, sometimes up to 90 minutes.
Meanwhile, wash and cut your salad greens into bite-size pieces. I love pairing this dish with cold-hardy spinach, to give a sweet crunch to offset the radishes. Set the greens out onto serving plates. Lay the roasted radishes, after they have finished cooking, on top of the bed of greens, and serve immediately while still hot.

Read more: http://www.motherearthnews.com/relis...#ixzz1jmJGNLej
Old September 15, 2012   #52
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Default Misc Veggies

Roasted Fennel With Citrus Zest & Balsamic Glaze
posted by Eve Fox Jul 29, 2011 8:02 am

Until we moved to California 5 years ago, my primary exposure to fennel was in Tom’s of Maine’s toothpaste (love that flavor!) But I came to know it in its natural state shortly after we arrived in Berkeley because the plant grows wild all over the east bay. There was a huge stand of it growing in the strip of dry dirt that flanked the sidewalk right across from our house in North Berkeley. And I’d be bombarded by the tall green stalks and yellow flowers any time I went for a walk at the Albany Bulb. Here’s a pic from one of my rambles there that shows the fennel plants.
I always enjoyed watching the bees go to town on the bright yellow pollen that covers the flowers. You can actually cook with the pollen – it’s considered a bit of a delicacy (maybe because it’s hand-gathered) and is good in spice rubs for meat and fish and on roasted veggies, etc. I’ve never tried it though I did help a friend gather it once from that patch across the street from my house and she reported good results from her culinary adventures.

I have not seen a ton of fennel since we left the Bay Area last summer. But just last week our new CSA, Hearty Roots Community Farm in Redhook, had the good sense to include a couple of bulbs of the stuff in our weekly allotment of fresh goodies.
I looked online for inspiration (a quick aside, if you’re ever having trouble finding good recipes, I highly recommend that you check out www.FoodBlogSearch.com as it lets you bypass a lot of the junk that comes up in a Google search) and found several recipes for roasted fennel. I liked this one from Simply Recipes because it was, well, simple, and also looked tasty, so I went with it.
The preparation is super easy – wash and cut the fennel, zest a bit of lemon, toss with olive oil, splash with balsamic vinegar or glaze, season with salt and pepper and roast. The only downside was having to turn the oven on in this heat. It was well over 90 degrees here today so firing up the oven to 400 degrees did seem certifiably insane…
But the results were divine. Roasting gives the bulbs a mellow, almost nutty sweetness and the licorice flavor is enhanced by the hint of lemon from the zest and the rich sweetness of the balsamic glaze. The only thing I might change is to sub in pomegranate molasses for the balsamic – I’ll try that next time around.

Roasted Fennel With Citrus Zest & Balsamic Glaze
Serves 4

Ingredients
3 large fennel bulbs (thick base of stalk), stalks cut off, bulbs halved lengthwise, then cut lengthwise in 1-inch thick pieces

Olive oil

Balsamic vinegar or glaze or pomegranate molasses
1/4 tsp lemon zest

Sea salt

Freshly ground black pepper

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Rub just enough olive oil over the fennel to coat. Sprinkle on some balsamic vinegar (or balsamic glaze or pomegranate molasses), also to coat. Then toss on the lemon zest, sea salt and pepper.
3. Lay out the pieces of fennel in a glass baking dish or on a heavy cookie sheet and roast for 30-40 minutes, or until the fennel is cooked through and beginning to caramelize.

Read more: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/roa...#ixzz1Tcvzfejn
Old September 15, 2012   #53
Zana
Tomatovillian™

SWEET SKILLET TURNIPS
SERVES 2 TO 3

1 T. butter or margarine
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 lb. turnips, peeled, shredded
½ c. chicken broth
1 T. sugar
½ t. salt
¼ t. pepper

Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat; add onion.
Saute 3 to 5 minutes or until tender.
Stir in turnips and remaining ingredients.
Cook, stirring often, 20 minutes or until turnips are tender. (Turnips will be light brown-caramel color as they cook.)
Old September 15, 2012   #54
Zana
Tomatovillian™

TURNIP CASSEROLE
SERVES 4

INGREDIENTS
2 lbs. turnips, peeled and chopped
¼ cup butter or margarine, divided
1 small onion, finely chopped
½ c. milk
1 ½ c. (6 oz.) grated white Cheddar, divided
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. pepper
1/3 cup Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs

DIRECTIONS
• Combine turnips and water to cover; bring to boil; cook 20 minutes or until tender.
• Drain well; transfer to large bowl, and mash.
• Melt 1 T. butter; add onion, saute 3 minutes or until tender.
• Add onion, milk and 1 c. cheese, salt, pepper and remaining ingredients to turnips.
• Spoon into lightly greased 11 X 7-inch baking dish.
• Sprinkle evenly with breadcrumbs and remaining ½ c. Cheddar.
• Bake 350 F. for 30 minutes or until lightly browned.
Old September 15, 2012   #55
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Black Radishes the Russian Way
12/27/2011 3:30:30 PM
By Tabitha Alterman
Tags: black radishes, recipe

Pungent black radishes are beloved in cold-climate countries, where they last months in storage. According to Elizabeth Schneider, the author of Uncommon Fruits and Vegetables, not so long ago were the days you could hardly find a Russian tabletop without a snacky spread of zakuski (“little bites”). Alongside hearty black bread, pickled mushrooms, roasted beets, herring, sturgeon and, of course, vodka and caviar, you’d find black radishes grated into a chilly soured cream.
You might like grated black radishes used this way in Indian raita or Greek tzatziki, with yogurt taking the place of the sour cream and the radishes replacing the cucumbers. Slices of pungent black radish are also a fabulous stand-in for horseradish on a steak sandwich.

Ingredients:
1 cup coarsely grated black radishes (The large holes on a standard cheese grater work well.) 

1 cup Russian or Greek sour cream (It’s worth using the real thing if you can find it. If not, try another sour cream or crème fraîche.) 

Quick squeeze of fresh lemon 

2 tbsp chives, chopped

Instructions:
Combine all ingredients and chill.
Serve with hearty country bread.

If you want to go all the way with the Russian theme, serve alongside a selection of zakuski.

See also: Radical Rennaissance: Try Our Rad Radish Recipes
Photo by Tim Nauman Photography .

Read more: http://www.motherearthnews.com/relis...#ixzz1jmKh76qr
Old September 15, 2012   #56
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Curried Baby Carrots

Jillian Michaels adds some spice to those old carrots.
92 Calories, 2.3g Fat, 1.9g Protein, 157mg Sodium, 3.8g Fiber, 14.9g Carbohydrates

Yield: Serves 2

Ingredients
1⁄2 pound (4-inch) baby carrots
2 Tbsp. fat-free mayonnaise
1 Tbsp. nonfat sour cream
1⁄2 tsp. curry powder
1⁄2 tsp. skim milk
1⁄2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
1⁄2 tsp. honey
Instructions
Steam carrots, covered, 7 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain.
Combine mayonnaise and remaining ingredients in a saucepan; place over medium-low heat until hot, stirring occasionally.
Serve sauce with carrots.

Source: Jillian Michaels: Making the Cut
Old September 16, 2012   #57
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zana View Post
The preparation is super easy – wash and cut the fennel, zest a bit of lemon, toss with olive oil, splash with balsamic vinegar or glaze, season with salt and pepper and roast. The only downside was having to turn the oven on in this heat. It was well over 90 degrees here today so firing up the oven to 400 degrees did seem certifiably insane…
But the results were divine.
Zana, this recipe sounds fantastic. I have overcome the oven dilemma in the middle of summer with a purchase of the Breville 800XL countertop oven. It is fantastic for lots of things like roasting vegetables, meats, tasting, baking, reheating, etc. The best part is, your house doesn't heat up like with a traditional oven. I love my Breville.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2012   #58
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Dill Carrot Soup

- 13g Carbs, 2g Fiber

Servings: 6

INGREDIENTS
1 lb carrots, sliced (6-8 medium)
2 tsp vegetable oil
2 tsp crushed garlic
1 cup chopped onion
3 1/2 cups chicken stock
3/4 cup 2% milk
2 Tbsp chopped fresh dill OR 1 tsp dried dill weed)
2 Tbsp chopped fresh chives or green onions

DIRECTIONS
• In large saucepan of boiling water, cook carrots just until tender.
• Drain and return to saucepan; set aside.

• In nonstick skillet, heat oil; saute garlic and onion until softened, approximately 5 minutes.
• Add to carrots along with stock; cover and simmer for 25 minutes.

• Puree in food processor until smooth, in batches if necessary.
• Return to saucepan; stir in milk, dill and chives.

Nutrition per Serving:
89 Calories, 3g Fat, 2mg Cholesterol, 863mg Sodium, 3g Protein,
13g Carbs, 2g Fiber

Diabetic Exchanges: 2 Vegetables, 1/2 Fat

Nutrition From: www.caloriecount.about.com
Substituting low sodium chicken broth to reduce the sodium.
Serving Size: 271 g
Nutrition per Serving:
81 Calories, 21 Calories from Fat, 2.4g Total Fat, 0.7g Saturated Fat,
0g Trans Fat, 2mg Cholesterol, 109mg Sodium, 12.1g Total Carbs,
2.7g Dietary Fiber, 6g Sugars, 3.4g Protein
Vitamin A 255% - Vitamin C 12% - Calcium 9% - Iron 6%
Nutrition Grade: A

Good points:
Low in cholesterol
High in calcium
High in dietary fiber
High in potassium
Very high in vitamin A
High in vitamin C

Bad points:
High in sugar
Old November 12, 2012   #59
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Carrots with Rum Raisins

An elegant side dish that is sure to collect compliments.

Makes 8 servings

1/2 cup rum

1/2 cup raisins

8 pearl onions, peeled and cut in half

3 tablespoons butter or margarine

2 pounds baby-cut carrots

1/3 cup dry white wine or apple juice

3/4 teaspoon finely chopped fresh dill weed or 1/4 teaspoon dried dill weed

3/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper

3/4 cup whipping (heavy) cream

1. Pour rum over raisins. Let stand 30 minutes.

2. Cook onions in butter in 3-quart saucepan over low heat 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions begin to soften. Stir in carrots and raisins

(with rum). Cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid has evaporated. Stir in wine, dill weed, salt and red pepper.

3. Cover and cook over medium heat 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until carrots are tender.

4. Stir in whipping cream. Heat to boiling. Boil uncovered 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Enjoy.
Old November 12, 2012   #60
Zana
Tomatovillian™

FRIED SHOESTRING CARROTS

2 c. self-rising flour
1 ½ c. water
1 t. salt, divided
¾ t. cayenne, divided
½ t. pepper, divided
10 c. shredded carrots

• Whisk flour, ½ t. salt;¼ t. cayenne and ¼ t. pepper until smooth.
• Stir in carrots.
• In separate bowl combine remaining salt, cayenne and pepper.
• Deep fry at 375* F. by dropping spoonfuls into oil.
• Fry 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown.
• Drain and sprinkle.