Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 17, 2018   #676
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

I apply to soil about once a week or so at the 1 tbsp/gallon rate, depending on the usual factors, for in-ground plants. Usually after rain. Probably amounts to a 1/2 gallon per plant. More for plants in newer beds with poorer soil.

For container plants, I water at 1/4 strength every third watering (taking rain into account).

For younger plants earlier in the season, I play it by ear.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2018   #677
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonfarmer View Post
Can somebody that uses the product regularly tell me what their schedule is and how much they use.

I don't foliar feed, so I can't comment on that aspect (sorry).

I do use TTF for my containers and have, just this week, worked my way up to a full strength dosage of 1 TBS per gallon of water. Also, the frequency of feeding has just been upped to once per day as the plants entered into the full-size mature plant stage. My 5 gallon buckets currently get between 1/2 and 2/3rds of a gallon of the mixed solution (some plants are thirstier than others). My 10 gallon fabric containers average about 3/4ths of a gallon of the nutrient/water mix.

I should also mention that I use straight Pro-Mix HP, so there is no compost in the containers - all the nutrients have to be supplied by the TTF. So that is why my dosage level and feeding frequency is so high... certainly much higher than someone growing in-ground plants.

Oregonfarmer - You'll need to experiment and find the sweet spot for your plants. And that 'sweet spot' will change as the plants grow larger and have greater needs.
Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2018   #678
rick9748
Tomatovillian™

Default TTF cost control

Amazon has 1/2 gal. $22. & 1 gal. 28.00.I will not use a gallon this year.Are there methods I can store to keep remainder good until next year??
thanks
Rick P
rick9748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2018   #679
rick9748
Tomatovillian™

Can I store TTF not used until next year and how??Amazon has TTF 1/2 g $22. / 1 g 28. I will not use all of the 1 g this year.But $6. for twice as much????
rick9748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2018   #680
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick9748 View Post
Amazon has 1/2 gal. $22. & 1 gal. 28.00.I will not use a gallon this year.Are there methods I can store to keep remainder good until next year??
thanks
Rick P

Yes in the garage or any place that doesn't freeze I doubt that would even hurt it.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2018   #681
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Rick, note that the shipping is extra, whereas it is included on the TTF website, so it actually ends up being a little cheaper on the TTF website. I almost ordered on Amazon myself. Somewhere in this gingantic thread I found the information that you can keep it for next year not exposed to extreme temps but you have to shake it up really well next year. I believe you might loose some micronutrient potency, but not a lot. The ideal they said is to buy yearly but if you have some left, use it, don't throw it out.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2018   #682
Johnniemar
Tomatovillian™

[QUOTE=SueCT;704710]Rick, note that the shipping is extra, whereas it is included on the TTF website, so it actually ends up being a little cheaper on the TTF website. I almost ordered on Amazon myself. Somewhere in this gingantic thread I found the information that you can keep it for next year not exposed to extreme temps but you have to shake it up really well next year. I believe you might loose some micronutrient potency, but not a lot. The ideal they said is to buy yearly but if you have some left, use it, don't throw it out

It is the same price either place yiu buy it.

Last edited by Johnniemar; June 18, 2018 at 07:26 AM.
Johnniemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2018   #683
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

The Urban Farms site has 4 gallons on sale for 99.95 which includes shipping. Perhaps if you don't need 4 gals you can finde someone(s) to split it with. $25 per gal is pretty good.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2018   #684
Kpr121
Tomatovillian™

Salsa - from what I gather, the 4 pack for $99.95 does not include shipping. When I estimate the shipping cost it comes out to around $160 total (shipped to PA).
Kpr121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2018   #685
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpr121 View Post
Salsa - from what I gather, the 4 pack for $99.95 does not include shipping. When I estimate the shipping cost it comes out to around $160 total (shipped to PA).
The great thing about the 4 pack is that you can mix and match. Order one kind and then send a follow up email on how to split.

The 4 pack came out to about $34 per gallon for me.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2018   #686
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Unless the big red print at the beginning of the page only applies to the first item, it looks like the prices include shipping.

https://www.theurbanfarm.com/tomatomagic.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpr121 View Post
Old June 18, 2018   #687
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsacharley View Post
Unless the big red print at the beginning of the page only applies to the first item, it looks like the prices include shipping.

https://www.theurbanfarm.com/tomatomagic.html
I've bought the 4 pack twice; it definitely does not include shipping. If you drill down into the 4 pack it states 'SHIPPING NOT INCLUDED'.

You can enter your state and it will calculate shipping charges.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2018   #688
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

OK, that's what I missed. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
I've bought the 4 pack twice; it definitely does not include shipping. If you drill down into the 4 pack it states 'SHIPPING NOT INCLUDED'.

You can enter your state and it will calculate shipping charges.
Old June 19, 2018   #689
Johnniemar
Tomatovillian™

I am using TTF this season for the first time. So far i can't tell that it is any better than any other liquid fertilizer i have used in the past. Am i missing something here? I do not think it is worth the extra money. I am not saying it is bad, just that it is no better than MG.
Johnniemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2018   #690
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Blasphemy, 'Burn the witch.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote