Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 23, 2019   #1
shule1

Default Mustard Bhutlah (black, orange-ripening variant)

So, I'm tasting what was supposed to be a Mustard Bhutlah, but it had black on its leaves and fruit (anthocyanin), and ripened orange. It was earlier, more vigorous, and more prolific than the regular Mustard Bhutlah beside it. The fruits are somewhat smaller than those of the regular Mustard Bhutlah.

Anyway, the flavor is kind of normal for a hot pepper (not citrusy or fruity, but there is a sugary taste), but the way the heat feels is very different. It feels good! It's kind of like how soda pop hurts, but it feels good, except more intense than that. It's still heat, but it's not unpleasant. It seems like it would go really awesomely in chili. It's quite hot. The heat lingers for a long time, and only very, very gradually drops off, like it doesn't want to let go. I've only eaten a few small parts of it so far (so, it's probably truly a superhot).

Here it is cut in half and seeded, and some uncut fruits for display. (The fruits lose their blackness as they get riper. The ripe ones are pure orange.) I think this is the first fruit to have set. I harvested it a while ago now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20191023_005520.jpg (106.9 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20191023_012203.jpg (54.8 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20191023_012246.jpg (52.8 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by shule1; October 23, 2019 at 09:13 PM.