Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old June 28, 2019   #1
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

Default Shout out to TomNJ

Thank you for the Kosovo seeds

SQWIBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2019   #2
arnorrian
Tomatovillian™

Looks like an old heirloom variety grown across ex-Yugoslavia called Ox's Heart (bellow). I see on other pictures that this variety is usually more pointed at the bottom. It likely is the same variety, considering its origin, just renamed. This is the only non-classic-red variety widely sold in Serbia.

arnorrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2019   #3
VC Scott
Tomatovillian™

Arnorrian, the seed for Kosovo came from a UN worker who was stationed in the Kosovo area of the former Yugoslavia. You may be quite correct that this is the tomato known there as Ox's Heart.

Kosovo can be quite pointy. In my experience, the early fruit on ox-heart plants can be nearly round, but later in the year, the more pointy shape appears.
VC Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2019   #4
TomNJ
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQWIBB View Post
Thank you for the Kosovo seeds
You are quite welcome! Kosovo is a staple in my garden and I plant at least a dozen each year. It is consistently the earliest and most productive tomato I plant, and its sweet solid flesh along with virtually no cracking, scabs or catfacing makes it great for canning as well as tomato sandwiches. A real beauty! I'm sure you will enjoy it!

Tom
TomNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2019   #5
arnorrian
Tomatovillian™

It's possible the climate similarity is the reason. Its area of origin has Cfa climate, rare in Europe.

arnorrian is offline   Reply With Quote