Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 26, 2017   #601
bigpinks
Tomatovillian™

supposed to have three good days in a row here. I have 90 plants avg about 20 inches with a bushy top and lots of suckers which I will eliminate. I also have the stakes to drive so my three days are laid out. Looking forward to it though.
bigpinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2017   #602
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

rain again last night today and for the next weeks forecast. sigh.
Old May 26, 2017   #603
Hoosier
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpinks View Post
supposed to have three good days in a row here. I have 90 plants avg about 20 inches with a bushy top and lots of suckers which I will eliminate. I also have the stakes to drive so my three days are laid out. Looking forward to it though.
Hope all goes well BP. Possibility of storms the next few days but I have 52 in the ground and getting ready to put in 24 more.
Hoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2017   #604
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Hotter than a firecracker here or at least it feels like it in the sun.
But it is only 89 in the shade so I moved to the shade out of the sun.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2017   #605
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

It was a good day down here too. High 85F, RH <65%, sunny sunny.
I did some Sevin insect spraying, mostly for tick and grasshoppers.
Also went on hunting Horn Worm. All day I could only find 3 of them : A big fat one and couple of baby ones. So this tells me that the population is going down.
Yeah, also harvested few Sungold, Stupice and Brown Heart.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2017   #606
edweather
Tomatovillian™

Our nice two day rain and cool spell is over...back to the salt mines near Jacksonville, FL....mid 90's this weekend. I think we need a "sweating" emojie
Old May 26, 2017   #607
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Elevated risk of possible severe storms tomorrow afternoon and evening. Weather channel has even said from Tulsa to Springfield MO looks like the hotspot. Yeah! I live 1/2 way in between the two. Main threat is tornadoes and baseball sized hail. I hope they are wrong.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2017   #608
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
Elevated risk of possible severe storms tomorrow afternoon and evening. Weather channel has even said from Tulsa to Springfield MO looks like the hotspot. Yeah! I live 1/2 way in between the two. Main threat is tornadoes and baseball sized hail. I hope they are wrong.

I hope so, too!

We had close to two inches of rain in the last two days including an overnight thunderstorm. Tomorrow will be cloudy, but we should see some sun on Sunday, then the rain will be back for Monday and Tuesday. At least tonight will be the last night that temps will dip into the 40s for at least the next ten days.

Tomatoes went out last Sunday, peppers and eggplants will probably go out this Sunday, and that will leave just the dwarf project plants and a few herbs waiting in the wings.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2017   #609
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
I hope so, too!

We had close to two inches of rain in the last two days including an overnight thunderstorm. Tomorrow will be cloudy, but we should see some sun on Sunday, then the rain will be back for Monday and Tuesday. At least tonight will be the last night that temps will dip into the 40s for at least the next ten days.

Tomatoes went out last Sunday, peppers and eggplants will probably go out this Sunday, and that will leave just the dwarf project plants and a few herbs waiting in the wings.
That's good news. Sounds like you're out of the woods with that ten day. . Sure hope the weather steers clear of Steve and the good folks down there. Are your dwarf plants coming along good?. Which ones do you have?. Jimbo.
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2017   #610
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbotomateo View Post
That's good news. Sounds like you're out of the woods with that ten day. . Sure hope the weather steers clear of Steve and the good folks down there. Are your dwarf plants coming along good?. Which ones do you have?. Jimbo.

Out of the woods, and hopefully out of a drought stage. Last year we were in severe drought and they banned all outdoor watering except by hand, and only between the hours of 6 pm and 9 am on and odd/even schedule. I barely managed to keep the garden going.

This year I'm growing out several Speckly and Worry F3s for the project. They got started late so they aren't quite ready to go out yet.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2017   #611
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
Out of the woods, and hopefully out of a drought stage. Last year we were in severe drought and they banned all outdoor watering except by hand, and only between the hours of 6 pm and 9 am on and odd/even schedule. I barely managed to keep the garden going.

This year I'm growing out several Speckly and Worry F3s for the project. They got started late so they aren't quite ready to go out yet.
Glad the drought is over. Fingers crossed.. Had no idea it was that dry there, I never associate dry conditions with your area but I guess it can happen anywhere. Maybe you'll get Indian summer and have nice long grow season. Good luck!. Jimbo
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2017   #612
imp
Tomatovillian™

76 at 1 am here, stuffy too. Tomorrow will be in the high 90's, then a cooler set of days with highs in the upper 80's.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2017   #613
bigpinks
Tomatovillian™

May has been terrible, wet and cooler than normal here. Maybe the poorest I can remember. Not sure if I am glad I planted out Apr 30 or not? Plants look very good but need attention and staking but its too muddy.
bigpinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2017   #614
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

should have grown rice this year.
Still waiting to see a bird with a twig in it's mouth.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2017   #615
Hoosier
Tomatovillian™

I am waaaaay behind where I am normally at this time. Usually plant out last week of April/first week of May. Finally about done planting out after starting last week. I'm not sure if I made the right decision or not. We have had flooding rain at times and also some very cool nights but I think the plants might have been better off in the ground regardless. The ground temps seem to be running behind as my beans and squash have taken a long time to germinate.
Hoosier is offline   Reply With Quote