Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 18, 2011   #16
VitaVeggieMan
Tomatovillian™

I've been using a product from Home Depot called "Garden Pro Clay Breaker Soil Conditioner" which is a mix of aged bark fines and gypsum. It seems to be about the right consistency, though I do pick out the biggest chunks and sharp pointy pieces as I mix it with the peat-based potting mix. The other advantage is that it's about half the price of potting mix. I use about half of each in my grow media, with some extra perlite thrown in for good measure. Seems to work well in self-watering containers.

I live in Northern Virginia, so I don't know if they carry this everywhere. Here's a link to it on the HD website:

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/outdoor...ner-64491.html
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Clay Breaker.bmp (263.7 KB, 70 views)
VitaVeggieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2011   #17
lowlylowlycook
Tomatovillian™

Two things: I'm thinking of stocking up on the mulch I posted at the bottom of the first page so if someone could verify that it's the right stuff that would be great.

Secondly it seems that Home ★★★★★ (Dep_ot) is being censored by the new software. Anyone have a guess as to why?
lowlylowlycook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2011   #18
mjc
Tomatovillian™

★★★★★
pot
spot

hmmm...

that's interesting.
mjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2011   #19
casserole
Tomatovillian™

That looks perfect ,you may want to pick up extra as it seems you never know if it will be around .
casserole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2011   #20
lowlylowlycook
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by casserole View Post
That looks perfect ,you may want to pick up extra as it seems you never know if it will be around .
Yeah, that's basically what I was thinking. Thanks.
lowlylowlycook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2011   #21
Mom2Es
Tomatovillian™

The closest thing I've found to what is pictured in the .pdf is at my local orange-colored big box store and it comes in a white bag with a cartoon picture of green trees and is labeled as "Organic Soil Conditioner"
Mom2Es is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2011   #22
geeboss
Tomatovillian™

Default VA Pine Bark and Fines

VitaVeggieMan

Stop by Betty's Azeala Ranch off 29/211 and FX Parkway just west of Home De po they carry product VA Pine Bark and Fines also many Ace Hardware Stores also carry VA Fines product produced by Norfleet. In a white bag with orange print.

George
geeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2011   #23
VitaVeggieMan
Tomatovillian™

GeeBoss,

Thanks for the tips. I shop at Betty's Azaela Ranch often -- it's right on my way to work, and they open at 8 am, so I'm typically their first customer. I didn't know they had Pine Bark Fines, but I'm quite happy with the ClayBreaker product from Home D*epot. It's only $4.99 for 2 cu. ft., and it's the right consistency. Do you think the bark fines from these other sources are better?

It's good to know there are others from Northern Virginia lurking in this forum! How's your garden doing this year?
VitaVeggieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2011   #24
geeboss
Tomatovillian™

Plants are recovering nicely from their move from the front yard to the back yard. I apparently disturbed the roots while moving them in their grow bags. Just had my first cukes and peppers.

today 6/16

Last edited by geeboss; June 17, 2011 at 01:26 AM.
geeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2013   #25
Alpinejs
Tomatovillian™

Location: Alpine, Calif. in winter. Sandpoint Lake, Ont. Canada summers

I confess to knowing nothing about pine bark fines, but I have a huge stack of pine needles
that have only barely decomposed over the last 15 yrs., so a few months ago, I added a
pickup load of horse manure and worms. It seems to be working and the needles are rapidly
decomposing. Will this make good tomato soil? Will it be too acidic? If pine fines (?) are
good, then why not decomposed needles?
Alpinejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2013   #26
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

I use large amounts of long leafe pine needles as mulch. They take a long time to compost, quicker if you have a chipper shredder
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2013   #27
Alpinejs
Tomatovillian™

Location: Alpine, Calif. in winter. Sandpoint Lake, Ont. Canada summers

Stvrob....they ought to make good mulch!! Unfortunately, I garden strictly in containers so
have no use for that. I hope to learn whether the totally composted pine needles make good
tomato soil. The texture is looking like it will be great, but am wondering if it may be too
acidic.
Alpinejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2013   #28
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpinejs View Post
Stvrob....they ought to make good mulch!! Unfortunately, I garden strictly in containers so
have no use for that. I hope to learn whether the totally composted pine needles make good
tomato soil. The texture is looking like it will be great, but am wondering if it may be too
acidic.
Once they fully compost the Ph will tend to head towards 7. I guess it depends how far along they are in decomposition. I have successfully used very highly decomposed juniper needles before very successfully as a major soil amendment. (about 50% composted needles and 50% soil). But that wasn't in containers, for that I am a novice.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote