Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old July 17, 2018   #196
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

Well, these are my first ripe tomatoes, and I was barely holding out! I ate one, and I liked it! Has anyone tried them green?

Shrinkrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2018   #197
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Good point. I am into tangy flavors. Not everyone is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala Doug View Post
Try 'em!

I found that I prefer Maglia Rosa quite ripe (beyond what Fred recommends), but everybody is different... so experiment!

Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2018   #198
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing Maglia Rosa for the first time and loving it! I can't figure out whether it's D, Semi-D, or Ind., though. I've seen it labeled all three ways on the Interwebs... Which is it?
HudsonValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2018   #199
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

I think I'd call it indeterminate. It continues to produce until frost. But because it sets fruit so heavily for such a tiny plant, it tends to do it in waves. The squirrels this year ate all of my MRs when the plants were loaded with fruit and flowering had halted, but now the plant is as full of flowers again as it was in the spring.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2018   #200
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

I can't believe how they continue to set fruit in such heat. It's been 95 plus for about a month here, and we've had more days than I can count over 100.

Also in the picture are "Dwarf Sneaky Sauce" and Dwarf Rosella Purple. I am also growing Marzano Fire, but they are more prone to BER for me, and "short" Secret Sauce, but they have no color on them yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1532915606135124827059811951526.jpg (303.3 KB, 184 views)

Last edited by Shrinkrap; July 30, 2018 at 12:00 AM.
Old August 2, 2018   #201
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Looks good! My Maglia Rosa are just starting to ripen!
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2018   #202
bjbebs
Tomatovillian™

I have grown Maglia Rosa many times. It has always been a very manageable plant. This year it's reaching for the sky. The first picture shows it growing up a shrub, about 10 feet tall and still growing. It is in a 15 gallon pot and sees only water. As always it makes out a very tasty tomato with great production.

I am also growing Marzano Fire this year. It is an irregular shaped paste about 3 1/2 inches long. It is not juicy enough for fresh eating but have cooked with them. We split them and hollow out the seed cavity. This is stuffed with a hot pepper and sausage mix and grilled on slow coals. This is a somewhat thin skinned tomato with thick walls, perfect for grilling. This plant grows very much like Maglia has grown for me in the past. Pumps out the fruit and picking 6-8 tomatoes every other day. Second pic shows both
tomatoes.

Seed for Marzano Fire came from Fred, Maglia from saved seed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180804_153317.jpg (685.0 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg 20180804_153149.jpg (455.4 KB, 138 views)
bjbebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2018   #203
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

Wow! 10 feet tall!!!!!

My MR is climbing okay, and Marzano Fire is pretty, but in my Earthboxes, I've had to toss half because of BER.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180804_132823.jpg (464.8 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180804_132853.jpg (458.2 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg 15334200393187841581144126805240.jpg (390.6 KB, 136 views)
Old August 5, 2018   #204
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbebs View Post
I have grown Maglia Rosa many times. It has always been a very manageable plant. This year it's reaching for the sky. The first picture shows it growing up a shrub, about 10 feet tall and still growing. It is in a 15 gallon pot and sees only water. As always it makes out a very tasty tomato with great production.

Snip

Seed for Marzano Fire came from Fred, Maglia from saved seed.
I wonder if your Maglia Rosa crossed with something else? It doesn't usually grow 10' tall and your pictures of them don't look quite the right shape. Compare to pictures that others have posted in this thread.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2018   #205
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, MR was a great producer for me, but the plants are bushy determinates. I usually have bigger plants than what seed companies describe, but not MR.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2018   #206
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Yeah, MR was a great producer for me, but the plants are bushy determinates. I usually have bigger plants than what seed companies describe, but not MR.
Determinate? Do they stop making fruit after awhile?
Old August 5, 2018   #207
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Mine did. Harvest window was about a month.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2018   #208
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I have 2 MR's in 2 different locations. One in a 5 gal pot and the other in the ground. They both have been continuously cranking out fruit at a high rate for my environs. They continue to flower and produce so in my case I would not consider MR a determinate. Both plants are quite small and wispy.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2018   #209
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

I also have two plants; one I almost tossed, but did a "Hail Mary" in to a 3 gallon pot (that's in post# 190), and the one I posted yesterday (post 203) that's sharing a Gardener's Supply self watering planter with "Secret Sauce "(short). They are both a bit bedraggled, and could use some treatment for leaf chewers, but otherwise doing better than expected.

Anybody with experience with "Secret Sauce"? They are making fruit but SOOO pale!

Last edited by Shrinkrap; August 5, 2018 at 07:19 PM.
Old August 5, 2018   #210
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

My Maglia Rosa plants produced all season long. I can't remember if the branches ended in a flower blossom (self-pruning aka determinate) or was a vine with flower trusses along the sides (indeterminate), but the harvest was continuous. I grew it last year, but this year I tried Sunrise Bumblebee in its place.

And the Maglia Rosa fruits in the photo above look pretty normal to me (and I'm not commenting on the Marzano Fire in the same picture).

FYI - I got my seeds direct from Fred himself.
Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote