Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 14, 2014   #16
nipitinthebud
Tomatovillian™

Default Received Epic Tomatoes 12-13-14

This is a must own book for the heirloom tomato gardener. Epic Tomatoes is a well organized, well written collection of history, culture and varieties. The pictures are fantastic. This book will jump start every ones planning and planting for that next season. Thanks again Craig.

Andy
nipitinthebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2014   #17
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

I got my autographed copy. It's a wonderful book, I am very happy!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2014   #18
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Thanks, folks, to those who contacted me for a copy, and those of you sharing your impressions. This has been a uniquely nerve-wracking week or so for me - definitely in uncharted territory! I think I sent out nearly 30 copies and some opinions are just trickling in. Of course my wife and daughter tell me to pay no attention to reviews, etc - but they mean when the opportunity to review on Amazon and elsewhere starts. Hmmmm....to read or not to read - that is the question!

Anyway - I am agonizing, enjoying, cringing, you name the emotion - at the moment - it is definitely new to me, that's for sure!

I can probably get books off to the post office the rest of this week if anyone else is interested - after Christmas, availability in stores and over the web will kick in. I did receive templates from Storey that I can sign if anyone wishes for something to stick into the book that they purchase elsewhere.

At some point I need to get to garden planning and Dwarf project assessment and decisions...but when?!?!
Old December 15, 2014   #19
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

My copy arrived today. It is even better than I thought it would be. I am so glad I have all my Christmas shopping done because after I get the last things wrapped I am go hibernate with this book.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2014   #20
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

that's very kind, Kay. Thanks!
Old December 15, 2014   #21
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

My copy arrived today as well, but I won't have time to do much more than thumb through it until December 26th when the whirlwind at home and work ends and I get a week off to recover. Waiting on Amazon would have meant getting it after my break, so I'm grateful to you, Craig, for offering us the opportunity to get it a few weeks earlier! Enjoy the holidays!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2014   #22
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Great - glad it arrived! As I've said, Please share your impressions - suggestions - am always happy for the feedback (whatever it may be!).
Old December 16, 2014   #23
crazyoldgooseman
Tomatovillian™

Craig,

Thanks for the signed copy.

Got it today, the book looks great! Lots of information and great pictures!

Thanks

Brian

-crazyoldgooseman
crazyoldgooseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2014   #24
Ken B
Tomatovillian™

We just got ours in, we'll start shipping out books tomorrow! -- http://www.southernexposure.com/epic...ok-p-1797.html

(Note: if you get a book through us and you're wanting to get the book faster -- order a pack of seeds when you get the book, because otherwise if someone only orders a book, we ship it out Media Rate to save on postage. Once seed packets are added to an order, then a book ships out as Priority Mail!)
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2014   #25
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Ken, I am also in the process of signing some plates that Storey sent me - I will sign, return to SESE and you can "create" some signed copies. I hope to get them into the mail tomorrow!
Old December 16, 2014   #26
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

As you said in an earlier post I should look for my book this week and it came today, thank you.

It's much larger and heavier than I expected for a paperback book and since I was back here at the computer when Donna brought the mail in I had to put it in a plastic bag to get it out to the LV and be careful I didn't tip over in the walker as I listed to the left.

I skimmed through it rapidly and have to go back and read more carefully, but see you took a very different approach from what I did with my book.

Time to write some checks for Xmas to all those who help keep me here in my home since I'm homebound now, so now to call the bank and see what's there. And then call Agway to pay for what was delivered this AM, and then try to capture my cat and put that flea stuff on the back of her neck. It's the capturing and holdering her down that's the difficult part but she is very partial to yogurt so that will be the lure.

Finally, it's great to see your book in print , I know what it's like to put a book together and all the time it takes ,and out there and I know it's no doubt the best Xmas gift to yourself and family that you've ever experienced,

Carolyn
Old December 16, 2014   #27
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

I received a copy in the mail today direct from Storey publishing. Have only skimmed it so far, but love the format and the incredible pictures.'

Highlights include some very good descriptions of diseases and things you can do about them, a nice writeup about the dwarf breeding effort, and a compendium of varieties that Craig feels are at the top of their form. He is kinder to white varieties than I am, most of them are bland to me, but he calls them "mild". I was skimming the varieties anxiously looking for Jaune Flamme' and no sign of it, anxiously flipping more pages, still no Jaune Flamme', almost screaming by now WHERE'S JAUNE FLAMME'? Finally realize I'm skimming and notice that he has them organized by color and turn to the Orange page and voila, There's Jaune Flamme' right where it belongs. I happen to love the flavor of Jaune Flamme'!

There'll be fun times in the old farmhouse tonight folks!

p.s. the only significant thing I would like to have seen is a good section on greenhouse growing. Of course, Craig does not yet have a greenhouse. Maybe we can talk him into getting one for next spring.

Last edited by Fusion_power; December 16, 2014 at 06:36 PM.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2014   #28
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

wow.

Craig - I look forward to ordering your book as soon as I can. It will be a real treat, cant wait.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2014   #29
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Hi Craig,
After reading the reviews by Carolyn and Darrel I have decided to purchase your book.
PM on the way. Thanks to all.
Dutch

The intuitive mind is a gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. But we have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. (paraphrased) Albert Einstein

I come from a long line of sod busters, spanning back several centuries.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2014   #30
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Got my book yesterday, and it's chock full of good stuff. Some stuff I already knew was explained much better and more carefully than I had heard before, like the section on relationships between skin and flesh colors. I have never met Craig, but have listened to him on a couple of radio broadcasts, and what I like about the book, is that it reads just like he sounds! Casual, but informative! No question in my mind, one of the best tomato books to date.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote