Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 26, 2019   #2866
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Yo Keith and Mark, My place is between your places and we had a nice refreshing cool rain most of the day in Wisconsin too. Thanks for your input. ---
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I don't wish anyone ill will but we need some rain and cooler weather big time.
I hear ya Worth. I too don't wish anyone ill. I think Texas has a better chance of getting rain from this storm system then Puerto Rico does. I believe the storm will be heading west first before it turns north. Too much dry air in front of the north west quadrant and it is being feed in the south east quadrant from air coming off South America, This condition causes the storm's core to continually renew itself in the southern portion of that low pressure system which will keep the storm closer to South American than most forecasters are postulating and on a westerly track as it enters the Caribbean Sea. I checked the evening news tonight and all the networks were saying Dorian would be going through Saint Lucia as it journeys through the Windward Islands. I really don't see how that could happen! --- Dutch

The intuitive mind is a gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. But we have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. (paraphrased) Albert Einstein

I come from a long line of sod busters, spanning back several centuries.

Last edited by Dutch; August 26, 2019 at 09:26 PM. Reason: terminology
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2019   #2867
b54red
Tomatovillian™

After months of drought and extreme heat we seem to have hit a patch of regular rain and more in the forecast. It is a bit late for the tomatoes and in fact isn't very welcome as far as my remaining tomatoes are concerned as diseases seem to multiply at light speed in these conditions this late in the season. Even though it is late for the tomato season it is a welcome reprieve for some very dry soil and burned up lawns around here. It should certainly help with the fall crops if it continues for a while. This will be the first week I haven't had to water except for one since early May. Despite the dry conditions tomatoes did quite well this year with less then normal diseases and pests up til the past couple of weeks. It was one of the top five hottest tomato seasons I have gone through and one of the drier ones too; but unlike some of the dry seasons in the past the drought seems to have broken here at least for a while.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2019   #2868
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

We could be witnessing the most historic weather event in modern history unfolding here in the southern hemisphere. The current developing sudden stratospheric warming event SSW is forecast to produce a temperature differential of 110degC-230F as to the effects on the weather here on the ground no one could possibly know, but something nasty is coming I'm sure

Last edited by Medbury Gardens; September 1, 2019 at 04:16 PM.
Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2019   #2869
bower
Tomatovillian™

Never heard of a "sudden stratospheric warming" before. Had to go look, I found this page and it says you're likely to have snow, Richard. Better cover your seedlings!
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/115...ca-sets-record
It turns out that, like the Arctic, you also have a polar vortex. You can ask anyone in North America how much fun it is when the polar vortex decides to meander away from its lair. A weakened vortex means the polar cold air gets displaced to the south. Some wicked winter weather as a result in the past several years.
I believe our cold spring this year was partly the same thing, displaced polar cold, while in Greenland and further north they were balmy warm!
It's not a good thing. Sorry to hear it!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2019   #2870
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Its hard to believe that its about to be haywire when looking outside atm, not a cloud in the sky, no wind and warm. These sudden stratospheric warmings are very rare compared to the NH that see these every two years, down here they seem to be about every 20.

Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6, 2019   #2871
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

bower, looks like Dorian will be headed up your way in the next day or so. How far are you from the ocean? Stay safe, and I hope you don't lose power.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6, 2019   #2872
bower
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Dee. Luckily we are on the Avalon Peninsula and not in the cone. Dorian's track has kept edging further west of us and although we'll get a few hours of rain and high winds tomorrow night, we are breathing a sigh of relief. I don't envy anyone in that path, even at cat 1 it is no joke.

Dorian is one awful storm. Cat 5 is truly terrible.
Old September 7, 2019   #2873
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

For once in my life I have no way of watching the news and seeing the storm.
I can hear about it on the radio.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2019   #2874
bower
Tomatovillian™

Worth, the Cat 5 landfalls = complete destruction. The Bahamas island that was hardest hit is nothing but wreckage, stirred about by floods and left a pile of trash. And dead among it, even worse.

I'm so grateful for the science of forecasting that we have now, and also the policy of evacuations when the worst is feared. So many lives have been saved, even when the homes cannot be.
Old September 7, 2019   #2875
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Here are a lot of pictures of the total devastation in some parts of the Bahamas. A really sad and horrific situation. Many of the survivors will never be the same. Many will suffer from PTSD just like soldiers from war zones. Some will leave and never go back. I personally have been through a Cat 2 hurricane and just losing power for 3 weeks is stressful. Even if you have a generator you better have plenty of fuel because you cannot get gas anywhere. No water for some and this pales in comparison to the tragedy in the Bahamas.

Desperate Bahamians try to flee after Dorian's devastation leaves 70,000 homeless and armed militias roaming the fetid streets with thousands of people still missing

• Bahamian government says official death toll has risen from 30 to 43, though officials expect the number to significantly jump
  • Severe flooding in aftermath of Hurricane Dorian has slowed rescue and recovery efforts throughout the archipelago
  • Hundreds of residents who had their houses obliterated waited at the port in Grand Abaco on Friday in hopes of getting off the island
  • Locals say that the stench of dead bodies is evident as parts of the Bahamas 'ain't livable for nobody'
  • Bahamian cruise line is ferrying 1,400 evacuees to the port of West Palm Beach, Florida on Saturday morning
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...k-way-out.html
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2019   #2876
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Default Tropical storm Imelda

Houston prepares for heavy rain and flooding...again. I'm in the highlighted area.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2019-09-17-17-59-16~2.jpg (80.2 KB, 30 views)
Old September 17, 2019   #2877
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I hope we get some cooler weather and rain from it.
Old September 17, 2019   #2878
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

And I hope no one's home, business, school, or car floods from it.
Old September 18, 2019   #2879
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Looks like it ran right over the top of where I used to live.

Old September 18, 2019   #2880
bower
Tomatovillian™

I was wondering what happened to Imelda! No mention here since she's tucked in the Gulf, they are on to Humberto already on the Atlantic side. I'm glad to see she is a TS not something worse (though of course, they can be very wet!)

September has been colder than normal here, we should get a warm day from Humberto next week. Raining today and forecast high closer to 50 F than 60. Third frost advisory in a week, tonight. I haven't got any here so far, but there's no veggies left in the garden to worry about so I don't really care. I'm hoping the cold nights and rain will bring on a flush of winter chanterelles. Starting to prep the beds for garlic.