Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old July 24, 2012   #1
luke
Tomatovillian™

Default Buying in "bulk"

I need to replace a few seeds for next year's planting, and need a couple of varieties in what I guess could be described as a "consumer bulk" purchase. I'm not planting acres of tomatoes, but I always start more than I can use and share with friends. The 30 - 50 count seed packets go fairly fast when I start to share.

What sources have seed counts of 200 - 300?
luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2012   #2
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

Johnny's Seeds has you covered for that.... www.johnnysseeds.com

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2012   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Tomato Growers Supply has a separate list from the main offerings where you'll find the individual varieties pictured and prices for pack amounts, where they sell LOTS of tomatoes and peppers in bulk amounts, and list those bulk amounts in different sizes and prices.
Old July 24, 2012   #4
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

My site also has many varieties in larger packs of 1 gm, 5 gms and 10 gms for those varieties I have enough seeds.

Carol
http://knapps-fresh-vegies.netfirms.com/
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2012   #5
luke
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the replies, folks.
luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2012   #6
janezee
Tomatovillian™

Fedco, also.

j
janezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2012   #7
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I shop here:
http://www.morgancountyseeds.com/index.html

What they call a "packet" of tomato seeds is a huge amount, several times what I get in a packet for the same price in typical retail stores.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2012   #8
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I shop here:
http://www.morgancountyseeds.com/index.html

What they call a "packet" of tomato seeds is a huge amount, several times what I get in a packet for the same price in typical retail stores.

I can't find the seed list but I'm sure this is the place where you bought the yellow, red, pink and black brandywines and several of them were wrong based on leaf form so I went through that with you as to what they should be.

So after that experience do you trust the seeds that this place sells, as to tomato seed?

I know I'm tired to night which is why I probably can't find the tomato seed list but when I click on seeds it says no items in this category. Sigh.
Old July 26, 2012   #9
hoffman900
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I can't find the seed list but I'm sure this is the place where you bought the yellow, red, pink and black brandywines and several of them were wrong based on leaf form so I went through that with you as to what they should be.

So after that experience do you trust the seeds that this place sells, as to tomato seed?

I know I'm tired to night which is why I probably can't find the tomato seed list but when I click on seeds it says no items in this category. Sigh.
I buy fertilizer from them. Great to deal with. I can't vouch for the seeds though.
hoffman900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2012   #10
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I trust Morgan County to be honest. I don't know that they are tomato experts, though. They are certainly not experts at e-commerce. I'd recommend calling for a paper catalog. Some of the diagrams and pictures in the catalog are hand-drawn. They're stuck in an older, simpler time, and that is what I like about them.

They do have quantity deals on almost all of their seed. I wish I had counted, but I'd guess just their typical packet of tomato seed probably has 200 seeds in it. By comparison, I counted 25 in some of the packs I got from Home Depot and Wal-Mart for the same price.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2012   #11
afrance30
Tomatovillian™

I use this place, http://mvseeds.com/ although I'm not sure they will have the selection of heirloom tomato seeds you might be looking for. They do have some, and so far everything I have gotten from them has had excellent germination and has grown true to type.
afrance30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2012   #12
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

I've also bought seeds from here. http://www.gourmetseed.com/

Their packs range from 150 to 450 seeds. They have larger sizes. For example 10 grams( about 1/3 oz) is $10.75

My experience is that Sand Hill's packets tend to have more in them than they promise. The coyote tomato seed I bought had something like 200 seeds in it. I don't know how much it varies between packs and varieties.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote