Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 5, 2018   #16
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

@greatgardens: I am but they are the development of new varieties. I am growing an f4? Of a couple different families. Green when ripe.

Last edited by clkeiper; September 5, 2018 at 02:39 PM.
clkeiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2018   #17
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

Here at home, the dwarfs still standing are the experimental ones from dwarf project. Dwarf Buddy’s Heart is still amazing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EA40B4D2-322C-465D-8EB0-6BB170E9AFD2.jpg (421.8 KB, 214 views)
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2018   #18
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

Dwarf Metallica and Dwarf NOAH’s Stripe each are still producing. One I called Dwarf Orange Sunburst, which does not show much of the striping it had last year, is pretty amazing this late in our season.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C2374BC1-9440-4906-945D-32E960592539.jpg (536.7 KB, 218 views)
Old September 7, 2018   #19
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

The other ones still looking good and producing are Coastal Pride Orange and cousin Coastal Pride Red, as well as Cherokee Tiger Large and Purple Reign.
Old September 7, 2018   #20
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

How did you like the Coastal Pride Orange and Red? I've never grown the red version. Does it differ significantly compared to the orange? (Taller, shorter; bushier; tastes more acidic; fruit faults, etc.)

I was thrilled by the lack of faults on the orange this season. Had only a very few that had some circular cracking on the tops. For me, this is an amazing find and a real keeper.

So how did the red compare?

-GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2018   #21
bjbebs
Tomatovillian™

These 6 plants are on the west side of the garage seeing about five hours of sun. L to R are Lucky Swirl, Firebird Sweet, Orange Cream, Summer Sunrise, Sweet Scarlet and Tastywine. Slow, steady production for 8 weeks or so. These will continue into October. O. Cream has been smothered by it's neighbors and not produced well. No disease to speak of, which is hard to believe with such close spacing and not the best air movement. Little to no maintenance, plants go into good soil and are not fertilized. S. Sunrise is close to 6 feet, as is Firebird Sweet. Better support would have made more tomatoes. As usual S. Scarlet and S. Sunrise are tops in taste. I have a few others scattered here and there with Orange Cream tasting best. I will continue to grow Dwarf Progect tomatoes in spots that don't require much room.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180907_165931.jpg (498.7 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg 20180907_170041.jpg (480.4 KB, 207 views)
bjbebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2018   #22
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

Coastal Pride Orange and Coastal Pride Red are quite different from each other. Red's fruit are round and smaller. Flavor profile is quite different also. Not as sweet, more tangy. A very good saladette type tomato. What is similar is their growth habit, disease resistance and ability to set fruit over the long season. I checked the rooftop garden today, and the results are the same. Very happy with this addition to my dwarf lineup.

Last edited by nancyruhl; September 8, 2018 at 10:17 PM. Reason: My bad
Old September 8, 2018   #23
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Apologies to repeat myself but I do appreciate this post.
I returned from a rough work week at 2am this morning stopping 3 times in just a few miles
with deer roadside. (I live in/next to a 20,000acre state park)

A few hotel room nights and not home to tend any plants or could really care....my dwarf
project plants are the most stable even in this high heat season.

They look so good bybebs!. The less tended areas, less sun, driveways, my deck off the kitchen,
my parents (90 and 89yrs), a community garden, a senior center garden, any garden with less
space and gardeners with no time over-worked, or the elderly that no longer can fuss with unruly
plants.

The dwarfs fit those restrictions.

Or, given larger pots and inground space can produce plenty for the youthful gardener....more
varieties in a smaller grow area.

watching the US open....

and so many comparables from the Beauty line tastings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beauty line tasting.jpg (298.6 KB, 196 views)
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2018   #24
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Thanks! I definitely hope that many dwarf growers will chime in with their results and thoughts about their "small adventures."
Old September 9, 2018   #25
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

Forgot to insert comparison picture for the two Coastal Pride varieties.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180908_151226.jpg (271.5 KB, 186 views)
Old September 11, 2018   #26
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

This is my fourth year in a row attempting dwarf plants, and once again, they are the most disease-laiden plants in the garden. I am not going to try them again.

It must be the conditions here.
JosephineRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2018   #27
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

I'm sorry your results have been poor.
Could you share the dwarfs you've grown and have done badly? And if you ever decide to try again, you might try the Coastal Pride Orange. It has the best disease resistance I've found in the dwarfs.
Old October 9, 2018   #28
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

This year I grew Dwarf Tennessee Suited, TastyWine, Beauty King, Striped Rumplestiltskin a GWR Beauty line trial and a Hearty Line trial. Of all varieties, Tennessee Suited was by far the most productive with Beauty King running second. My family liked those two the best although the Hearty trial was meaty and good too. Striped Rumplestiltskin was a bit on the tart side, but with really pretty yellow tomatoes. TastyWine was slow to grow and threw all its tomatoes very late and in a two week period which was strange. Loved growing the beautiful rugose leaved dwarves and can't wait to try more next season. The four in earth boxes did better than the ones planted in raised beds. Not sure if that was just an exposure thing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3667.jpg (461.5 KB, 137 views)
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2018   #29
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

I grew a few dwarf plants this year, and have for a few years. Bookmaing to come back when it's a more appropriate hour.
Shrinkrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2018   #30
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I skipped dwarfs this year, but I plant to site them in two of my three whisky barrel planters next season. That should be 6 plants, with the remaining barrel tbd. My neighbor may help me with a few that I can visit.

I didn't grow any Brandywines last year, but I wish I had as it was hot and dry for months. I do miss that flavor. The climate here has been very weird the past few years, wet spring than drought. Prior years, Brandywines were my main source of greenies. The taste is worth a shot again but only a few plants as the window for ripening is smaller than others.

I am surprised to hear of Better Bush F1 as a flop. I somehow ended up growing one plant when I had a community garden plot, and it was a tomato machine. Tasted good too. Fluke? I don't remember disease on it either, and I have my fair share of it in the garden.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote