Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old November 5, 2015   #1
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Default Refrigerating green tomatoes

Have anyone tried refrigerating green tomatoes?
Temperatures outside getting very low. I am going to pick my last tomatoes soon. They are obviously green. Last year I kept them in a cool semi-dark place and they ripened at about the same time. I had about 20 pounds of them. I was thinking of refrigerating them all and to take out few at a time to ripen in groups. Hoping to have few for Xmas. Have anyone experimented with stored green tomatoes?

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2015   #2
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Some ripen, some don't, they simply rot. Too many variables.

This year I didn't bother saving more than a few, and only the ones that looked most promising -big and close to turning. The rest went in the compost. I made my last batch of salsa this past weekend.

I have a few left that may last a week or 2. Also, taste isn't too good at this point. Season is over for me.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2015   #3
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

Ella, how did you make the decision to pick them? My weather gadget tells me that the low overnight was 60. I was thinking of just letting them go until they call it themselves? There are some HUGE ones out there still for me.
Old November 5, 2015   #4
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Taboule, last year I picked 12 pounds of green Cowlick and 12.5 pounds of green Cherokee Chocolate tomatoes at the end of the season. Cowlick ripened great. Taste was excellent, fruits were firm. Cherokee Chocolate ripened as well but was more finicky. Some great and some soft and few did rot.
This year I noticed that Claude Brown’s Y. Giant (picked green) is ripening so beautifully. It taste superb. My DH cut one of the big (over a pound) CBYG and could not stop eating it. I have one more that is getting there.
My observations so far is that pink and yellow store much better than black tomatoes.
Sorry, taking it back. Girl Girl's Weird Thing is stripe outside but looks black inside. It has being firm for me and stores long time.

Old November 5, 2015   #5
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Luigiwu, we had 33 degree on October 19 (night time). I picked most big once that were light green color to ripen on the countertop and few small to ferment. Was afraid the temperature would go lower.
Left some to keep growing (they could have froze). They are getting bigger. Outlook for the next 10 days is ok.

Old November 5, 2015   #6
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Ella,
Don't do the refrigerator. Or try it with only a few. They come out tasting mealy and it is really too humid.
I have good success with giving them a good scrub, then spraying with a vinegar or hydrogen peroxide solution. Let stand for 10 minutes and wipe dry. Put in flats stem side down and into my basement. Last year my final greens were picked at the end of October and we were still eating them fresh after Thanksgiving.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2015   #7
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

I ended up slicing and dehydrating the green tomatoes I gathered from my garden.
Old November 6, 2015   #8
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

I'd say try to find a cold place but not as cold as a fridge. Ones in fridge really do get very mealy and usually rot fast after you take them out.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote