Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

NORCATT™ event information and discussion forum. Northern California Tomato Tasting

Old July 5, 2007   #1
betsylt
Tomatovillian™

Default NORCATT 2007 tasting?

Hi Folks,

Is anyone interested in having another NORCATT tasting this year? I just checked with Morningsun Herb Farm, and their Tomato Day is Sunday, August 19 in Vacaville.

Do we want to try and arrange it as we did in the past, with a Saturday tasting for the T'ville NORCATT gang and a Sunday tasting at Morningsun for those interested?

It's kind of late to be thinking about getting reservations, but now is better than not-at-all, I'd say.

I'd be game to have a tasting in the South Bay area or East Bay area if it makes sense.

Please post your thoughts!

-Betsy
Old July 5, 2007   #2
pbud
Tomatovillian™

I've almost made it to the NORCATT tastings in the last two years. I'm certainly interested and will try to make it again this year. Looks like a fun time. East Bay is easiest for me, but I'll try to get to wherever it's easiest for most folks. I finally managed to find some garden space outside of Emeryville's cool climate and I've been astonished at how much of a difference it's made. I have 7 indet's growing in Emeryville and 7 in Martinez. The Martinez plants have 80+ tomatoes, most baseball or a bit bigger. Emeryville tomatoes are much smaller and I have fewer than half of the Martinez yield. Anyway, I should have plenty to contribute.

Paul
Old July 6, 2007   #3
angelique
Tomatovillian™

I am out for this year. DH and I just moved last weekened, so I don't have any tomatoes to share. I will definitely try to attend the tomato tasting at Morningsun Herb Farm. At best, my garden area at the new house will only be half as big as the previous house.
Old July 6, 2007   #4
annietomatomad
Tomatovillian™

Angelique, you know you don't have to bring any tomatoes to come and taste. Remember how many tomatoes there were last year? Don't feel like you cannot come just because you don't have tomatoes.

As for NORCATT, I don't know yet what's going on around that time. Of course, I'd prefer it closer to me but anywhere where the majority is is best. Also, let's try to get more people out to it. Last year was so small and we had sooo many tomatoes (not that I'm complaining--I made a killer sauce with the leftovers). But I'd love more people to try what we're growing.

This year, I'm really into hearts and so far, they're all doing really well. Let's talk varieties once we have settled on a place.

Cheers, Annie
Old July 6, 2007   #5
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Annie. Also, thanks for the cucumber offer. I have been so bad at replying to emails lately. I had to change from Comcast to Wave Broadband because Comcast is not in Rocklin. Additionally, I just set up my internet on DH's new laptop. I still don't have email because there was a goof up with my password at WB and DH hasn't figured out how to set up the router and wireless adapter for my computer.
Old July 12, 2007   #6
ShirleyC
Tomatovillian™

Jose and I should be able to contribute to the tasting too and definitely would like to attend. We have about 55 different heirlooms growing.
Old July 13, 2007   #7
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Greetings from Shanghai (returning to SFO tomorrow morning). I would like to participate, and have Ed's Millenniums now ripe, as well as other OPs to share. Please let me know a date as far in advance as possible, so I can plan my travel around this event.

Ray in Campbell
Old July 21, 2007   #8
betsylt
Tomatovillian™

Hi All,

I'm on vacation on the east coast and won't be home until August 1 -- haven't heard from Bruce, Vermiit or GTG -- hope they're doing okay.

Angelique, could you attend if we had the tasting in the east bay? I'm sure you're bummed about moving, but you'll be getting away from the nematode problem too, right?

Could the folks who've indicated an interest give me an idea of where you live and whether you'd be willing to travel to: Davis/Sacramento, North East Bay (Concord area), Mid East Bay (Oakland, Hayward, Fremont), South East Bay (Fremont, Newark, Milpitas), South Bay (Gilroy to Mountain View), Peninsula (Palo Alto to South SF), San Francisco (but where?), and Marin/Sonoma County?

Who besides me would be interested in doing a tasting arranged so we can include Brad (and his amazing Wild Boar Farms varieties) on some Sunday in Napa/Sonoma area, or Vacaville?

Hope to hear from you -- I'll ping the others to try and inquire further.

Tastings in the south bay (esp Sunnyvale) would be easiest for me to arrange; otherwise I might need a local to try and help find a cheap/free venue etc.
Old July 22, 2007   #9
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Hi Betsy,

I am highly "mobile" so anywhere in the San Francisco area within 100 miles is fine with me. I would be happy to pick up any along the way to wherever the event will be held.

Ray in Campbell
Old July 22, 2007   #10
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Hi Betsy,

Just curious, what is considered East Bay? I really don't know the Bay area too well.

I am busy most of August. I have out of town visitors 3 of 4 weekends. I guess everyone wants to see the new house. September wouuld be better for me. But definitely plan to accommodate others that do have tomatoes.

Just curious, I remember that there was mention of having the event at Wild Boar Farms. I wonder if Brad is still open to that location. Just a thought.
Old July 25, 2007   #11
feraltomatoes
Tomatovillian™

We could have an informal tasting at my garden if interested.
I am in the middle of the best harvest I have seen.

This Sunday or maybe next to give people a little time would be good.

If some one want's to go and doesn't have tomatoes not a problem, there are about 10,000 plants producing right now with lots more on the way.

I have some tables and a 10x10 tent, it's usually hot, dusty and windy.

I have chef's from some fairly well known restraunts coming out today and am running late so I will check in tonight.
Old August 1, 2007   #12
vermiit
Tomatovillian™

I'm here! WOw, I love Brad's offer! Your post says '1 week ago' and nothing more however...did I miss it? I have the most neglected tomato plants ever. I'm a bit embarrassed by it! I've just started going in the garden again to battle the weeds and water...how I love those cherry tomatoes. They thrive even in my neglect. lol. Of course, if someone wants to be in Davis, we could meet for free at my school, if it's Aug. 11-12/18-19 before our year starts. We have shaded lunch tables, and I have the key for bathrooms, running water. I don't know why I didn't think of that last year!

Although Brad's offer is soooo much better of an idea!

Vermitt aka Diana
Old August 2, 2007   #13
annietomatomad
Tomatovillian™

I was also waiting for others to chime in. I would LOVE to visit Brad's farm. Is this Saturday still open? I saved the day just in case.

Cheers, Annie
Old August 2, 2007   #14
annietomatomad
Tomatovillian™

Oh wait, I just reread Brad's message again and it says Sunday! Sunday is harder for me but I could still try to. Any chance Saturday is doable Brad?
Old August 3, 2007   #15
betsylt
Tomatovillian™

Hi folks!

I'm back in town, so I can start working on this in earnest.

Count me in for Sunday, Brad. I know it's coming fast -- like 2 days from now -- so I'll need to get info on how to find your place (Suisun City, Vacaville, or Napa) and a starting time for the tasting.

We will need to lhead home by 3 PM at the latest to get back for a 7PM event -- I think we can come sometime in the mid-to-late AM. Like some of the others (but not Ray!), we don't have much in the way of tomatoes yet. I got a late start and being out of town for 3 weeks means things got neglected even though watered (to some extent) by friends.

Annie, I think Brad's work on Saturdays at the Farmers' Markets has been the reason he has been unable to attend previous NORCATT events.

I'm still hoping to schedule a 'later in the season' event on a Saturday and someplace in either the East Bay or Peninsula/Silicon Valley, assuming that there's still
enough interest.

I've had a request for beginning of September for someone who will be away for the month of August. Other thoughts?