Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old October 9, 2013   #16
loulac
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Doug 9345 wrote : If you could post some pictures of the lid arrangement I'd like to see it and a jar also.
I’m not very good at sending pictures on the web, I hope you’ll find satisfactory information on the suggested sites.

There’s only one important manufacturer of canning jars in France, with 2 models : some have a glass lid and a rubber ring called ”Le Parfait” and “Familia Wiss” with a metal lid. Both in different sizes.

Directions for use : put the inner lid in place, tighten the outer lid and turn it back a quarter of a turn before sterilizing. To open the jar punch a hole in the lid, you must hear a hiss as air is coming in.

https://www.google.fr/search?client=...d=0CLwBENUCKAc

If you click on “couvercle” you’ll have a picture of the outer lid which we never buy since you get it when you buy the jar, it’s re-usable indefinitely.
If you click on “6 terrines 1000g” you’ll get the picture of a one liter jar = 1000g = 2.20 lb. For tomato paste I prefer using smaller 0.750g jars = 1.65 lb.
Some prices :
http://www.amazon.fr/dp/B00381ENMY/r...SIN=B00381ENMY

pack of 6 jars 0.75 L : 27€ = 36.47$
pack of 6 jars 1 L : 29.69 € = 40$

Pictures of inner lids can be found there :
http://www.home-boulevard.com/bassin...FdHMtAod2XwA2w

Some prices :
12 capsule pack from 8.55€ to 12.30€ from 11.55$ to 16.60$

A regret : If my All American 930 pressure canner was half an inch higher I could put inside 2 rows of 1 liter jars instead of one row of 1 L and another of 0.750 L jars !
loulac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9, 2013   #17
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for posting the links they supply most of the information I wanted. At a dollar or more per lid I'd be finding ways to reuse them also.

One more question What does the sealing gasket look like on the back of the lid.

Ok more than one question I was just looking at "Le Parfait" style. Why didn't you go that route?
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9, 2013   #18
loulac
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Doug 9345 wrote What does the sealing gasket look like on the back of the lid.
A very thin ring of a hard, reddish substance, some kind of plastic ?

‘Le parfait’ style. Lots of pros : can be used till you break them. Rubber rings are cheap. They are easy to open, lifting the clip will lift the lid. If it doesn’t work you pour hot water on the lid or heat the whole jar in a pan. It’s the basic jar bought by all canners.

Some cons : they are bulky. You are supposed to use the entire content in one shot. The lid is cumbersome and may topple the jar if it’s half empty, so we take it off. That is why for jam, paste, people may prefer Familia Wiss, it’s more elegant on the table.
loulac is offline   Reply With Quote