Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old July 4, 2007   #1
rodger
Tomatovillian™

Default Yellowing leaves rapidly turn brown

I have had several plants that the leaves turn yellow. Almost looks like a nitrogen deficiency no spots plant is healthy. It effects one side or just the bottom half no particular pattern and with in a few days the leaves turn brown and crumbly. I am suspecting some kind of bacterial or fungal problem. I grow totally organic and have no desire to treat it I just would like to know what the problem might be so that I can possibly prevent it next time and if it is viral or highly contagious I will yank the plants. But after the leaves brown it appears to have run its course and no other problems. It has showed up on about 15 plants some worse than others
Here is a picture of the yellowing leaves

And here is the yellow leaves that have turned brown

Rodger
rodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2007   #2
emmaloufudge
Tomatovillian™

Rodger,

I've just posted a message somewhat similar to yours; however it does not look as though your plant lost all it's leaves.
Old July 6, 2007   #3
rsg2001
Tomatovillian™

It may be fusarium, which doesn't always kill the plant completely.`The tipoff is that you said that it can affect one part of the plant (or more), and that it's spread to many plants. Fusarium is usually spread through the soil. I found a variety of things help -- from seeking resistant varieties (which resist it, but not necessarily don't get it at all), using products like Soilgard (which I can't find anymore - I am trying Rootshield this year, but it is too early in my season to say if that is going to work), using grass or other mulch, to simply rotating your crops and not planting any nightshades (tomato, eggplant, peppers) in the same spot year after year. It can stay in the soil for many years.
rsg2001 is offline   Reply With Quote