Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 20, 2021   #1
Glenn62
Tomatovillian™

Default White/Green Tomatoes

Does anyone have experience with the white and green varieties? Are there any specific varieties that you would recommend. I'm curious about these.
Glenn62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2021   #2
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

For GWR I like Lime Green Salad-a dwarf and Green Giant.
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2021   #3
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Green Giant is a monster for me.
Dwarf Jade Beauty

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2021   #4
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

GWR bicolours are some of my favourites. Captain lucky for example and two of my hearts.
Whites are often mild in flavour. Most white beefsteaks are quite soft in my experience. Some white cherries such as super Snow White for example are quite good though
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2021   #5
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Best whites I've had - by far (in fact the only two I enjoy eating, though Great White is kind of OK) are Dwarf Mr Snow and Dwarf CC McGee (tried for the first time last year - yum!). They are actually quite "zingy" - not at all bland. For intensely flavored tomato lovers only!

Favorite greens are Green Giant and Cherokee Green for larger slicers - and any number of our Dwarf releases that have Green Giant as a parent - Kelly Green, Jade Beauty, Beryl Beauty, Summertime Green, Dwarf Emerald Giant.

The Fancy line are popping out delicious greens too - Dwarf Parfait (which has an unusual orange center), Dwarf Grinch - one I am trying to figure out and stay heart shaped, Dwarf Emerald Giant, a work in progress.

I like to eat Aunt Ruby's German Green, but it tends to struggle with disease for me.
Old February 21, 2021   #6
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

White: No recommendations

Green (limited by my experience): Malachite Box, Captain Lucky (a green bicolor -- fight me), Taiga, Green Bee
Old February 21, 2021   #7
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I like Green Velvet - it is beautiful and delicious.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2021   #8
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

Snow White or Super Snow White are very good to me though I've only grown two white varieties to compare them with.
Yak54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2021   #9
gardenmermaid
Tomatovillian™

Thomesol White has always been a favorite of everyone I have given a sample to. Dwarf Mr Snow too, though the flavors are different in those two. Taste is subjective and changes in different climates and soil, so experiment is the best way to see what you like and what works for you.
Aunt ruby's German Green and the cherry version are both delicious, also Green Tiger and Beryl Beauty, but really I have only met two GWR tomato varieties I didn't like: Green Zebra and Green Grape. I may have been picking them at the wrong time ( it was my first year growing gwr) so if you are new to Green toms I would recommend a variety that has a color cue when it's ripe such as a pink blush on the bottom. Aunt Ruby's does that, so does Beryl if I recall.
gardenmermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2021   #10
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

gardenmermaid, your post read my mind! I've really rarely met a green when ripe I didn't love, but Green Zebra and Green Grape are the ones that come to mind! There are texture issues and flavor note issues with both for me (I don't like a firm/crunchy tomato). Green Zebra is also very disease prone for me.

The nice thing about Cherokee Green (and some of our dwarf greens - Grandpa Gary's, Big Green Dwarf, Amy's Ohio) is the built in ripeness indicator, being yellow skinned - they turn amber/yellow when ready to pick. The clear skin greens are more of a challenge, and in pretty much all cases, develop a lovely pale pearly pink blush at the very blossom end.
Old February 24, 2021   #11
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Dr. Carolyn is a great tasting large white cherry.

Green Berkeley Tie-Dye is a great bicolor beefsteak. Wild Tiger from J & L Gardens is very good, a large cherry. Green Tiger is also good, same size.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2021   #12
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

GWRs are at the top of tomato taste, probably can't go wrong with any. Spears Tennessee Green has been good for me, balanced taste, strong flavor, good production every year.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2021   #13
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I will second the comments on Green Grape and Green Zebra, I don't like either of them for taste. That said, I have plenty of customers for the plants of Green Zebra. Especially those with early teens. I think it may be a "sour patch" candy thing.

Personally I love Green Doctors for a small green and Snow White and Champagne for the whites. My worker was commenting on how good Cherokee Green was for a larger green. And I like the Kangaroo Paw Green for a saladette. White Queen is a nice white with some flavor.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2021   #14
loeb
Tomatovillian™

I liked Snow White Cherry, Coyote and White Tomesol,
Verde Claro and Grubs Mystery Green for green.. but other green cherries are very nice too [I like lots of cherries..]
loeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2021   #15
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

My favorite green slicer is Aunt Ruby's German Green. I like Lucky Tiger better than Green Tiger. I'm biased because I worked on it, but Dwarf Numbat is my favorite dwarf green. Fantome du Laos is a nice medium sized white, as is Wapsipinicon Peach (with an added bonus of a slightly fuzzy skin). I also second Dr. Carolyn and Snow White cherries - both tasty, and both prolific producers. Oh, and Green Doctors Frosted!