Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 8, 2014   #1
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Default AGG, Striped german, Red Penna, KB, BW OTV

Not sure if it's me, or what, but I have large healthy plants, and flowers and some fruit starting. In general, I'm finding these slow. AGG is robust and just starting with blossoms and maybe one tomato peeking out. Is this normal? I. Started seed March 23 planted out first week of June. Red Penna surprised me b/c it was a really sturdy seedling.
I'd appreciate comments.
Sharon
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2014   #2
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

AGG is late tomato, so you are taking your chances growing it in zone 5 IMHO. I do too and mine has few of marble sized fruits but is is nowhere near early to midseason varieties. I LOVE many late varieties but only plant few in my zone 5 garden, it is way too iffy as Chicago September weather can go either nice and warm or down to very cold nights...
Mine this year are Stump of the world, Olena Ukrainian, Mayo Delight and surprise, Sekai Ichi is going to be late one
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2014   #3
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

I know, it think it finally that out. AGG is off my list for next year! Guess I have to rethink my choices given our climate.
Old July 9, 2014   #4
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

The problem is that Aunt Gertie's Gold has an amazing flavor (in my opinion). I grew it last year and I think I got one large and maybe two small tomatoes from it almost at the end of the season. If space wasn't a problem, I would make room for a plant every year in my garden.

I do continue to grow a few late tomatoes, but I always make sure the bulk of what I grow are mid-season varieties.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2014   #5
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I don't grow any late varieties. Had to kick Brandywine off the list for that reason, even though it was my fav! I have some Brandywine Cowlicks and am plucking up the courage to plant it though....

I mostly stick to early and mid-season varieties that, hopefully, have good taste, so that I can enjoy tomatoes for 2 or 3 months.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2014   #6
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Yes, that's the conclusion. I tried Gold Medal which is very late but good when cooler weather sets in. Between the squirrels attacking and low production I gave that one up. My Brandy boys are producing, but that's a hybrid, but at this point, who cares? Ii just want tomatoes!