Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 17, 2014   #91
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Jan, the programs were developed for Windows based computers and now I've tried them on Windows 3.1 thru Windows 7. The files decompress as you download and install. Just select "RUN" and the program will install itself. It generates its own directory in your "Program Files" subdirectory under your "C:\" root directory. As you are downloading, the program offers you the option to install. Do it then, or simply "execute" the file if you want to run it later.

The actual file format is generated by the Visual Basic Distribution Utility, which takes all of the support files needed to run the program and makes sure that certain ones go into certain places. If you need more detail, let me know.

A few folks have been able to use the programs on Apple products, but I'm not sure how they did it, and I'm not supporting that platform with this free offering.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Last edited by ContainerTed; January 17, 2014 at 09:49 AM.
ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2014   #92
meadowyck
Tomatovillian™

Thank you so much Ted for the explanation, it make sense, which last night after seeing the downloads, and doing a little more research I was starting to come to that conclusion. Ok, will go back over it.

Again, thank you for sharing all your time consuming work with us here. Another great thing about T'ville folks like you sharing with the rest of us.

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”
-Theodore Roosevelt
meadowyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2014   #93
crazyoldgooseman
Tomatovillian™

Anyone try it on Windows 8?

-crazyoldgooseman
crazyoldgooseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2015   #94
mikemansker
Tomatovillian™

Default Works on Windows 10

I installed this on a Windows 10 computer and it installed without a hitch.
mikemansker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2016   #95
Keen101
Tomatovillian™

The seedbox software looks nice, but alas i'm a lnux user.

Are there any free software for plant breeding? One that can show pictures of each parent line and even has a genealogical pedigree thing? I've seen lots of software for dog breeders, but none for plant breeding.
Keen101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2016   #96
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Default Yes, it works fine on Windows 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyoldgooseman View Post
Anyone try it on Windows 8?
Just remember that it is 32 bit. If you're running 64 bit, I haven't heard anyone say that they got it to run.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old February 7, 2016   #97
mikemansker
Tomatovillian™

Hi Ted,

The software will install fine on 64 bit computers. Windows, by nature, installs 32 bit programs in Program Files (x86) as opposed to Program Files.

Just download and extract to a folder (not the one you want to use for the install). When the files are extracted, start the Setup.exe file in the extraction folder.

Mike Mansker
Old February 7, 2016   #98
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Thankis, Mike. I have a 64 bit laptop, but have never considered trying it. I originally developed this software for all the folks who didn't have or couldn't afford new computers. They were using everything from Windows 95 to Windows 7. I was trying to take care of them. There were folks who did get it to work on Linux and even a Mac, but I have no idea what they did to get it to work.

My congrats of the one you just deployed. Well done.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old February 12, 2016   #99
imp
Tomatovillian™

Ted, got the program you did to work, but could not get Mike's to work on my old XP- probably my fault.

Thank you both for doing these programs and also for free!!! Big help to get things organized.

Now, we need programs sim to these for beans, squash and melons, too!! Peas, maybe, too.

Don't want much, do I? <grin> Pops always said "you don't ask, you don't get."
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2016   #100
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Imp, until another program actually sets up for each of those veggies separately, You can still use mine to track those crops. Simply put the name in and then use the other windows to store info that you want to track. You can always do journal type entries in the "Comments" window.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old February 12, 2016   #101
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
Imp, until another program actually sets up for each of those veggies separately, You can still use mine to track those crops. Simply put the name in and then use the other windows to store info that you want to track. You can always do journal type entries in the "Comments" window.
That is true and may well do that. Right now, taking a break from data entry on tomatoes-I am a hunt and peck typist so I am slow.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2016   #102
Wolfie1038
Tomatovillian™

Hi Ted! Great job! Seedbox is just what I was looking for! I am having a couple little problems, but the one that's bugging me is when I first open the program and click on "Main Seed Database" it gives me an error that C:\Seedbox\MySeeds.MDB isn't a valid path. I know it's not because since I have a SSHD, I installed the program to my D drive and told it so when I installed it. All the files are in D like they're supposed to be and I even see two "MySeed" files listed. One is an LBD file (1kb) and the other says it's a Microsoft Access Database (128 kb). It apparently didn't get the message I changed the directory on install?
Wolfie1038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2016   #103
mikemansker
Tomatovillian™

Hi,

Don't mean to butt in here, and ContainerTed may have a different answer, but If you create a folder on C:\ called Seedbox and then copy the MySeeds.mdb into that folder, the program may open correctly.

I develop in Access and an installation on D:\ might create some issues as my software uses several files that it expects to find in the C:\Windows folder.

Usually, the source of the data is coded into the program.

"Advice is free and usually that's what it's worth."
Old April 14, 2016   #104
Wolfie1038
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemansker View Post
Hi,

Don't mean to butt in here, and ContainerTed may have a different answer, but If you create a folder on C:\ called Seedbox and then copy the MySeeds.mdb into that folder, the program may open correctly.

I develop in Access and an installation on D:\ might create some issues as my software uses several files that it expects to find in the C:\Windows folder.

Usually, the source of the data is coded into the program.

"Advice is free and usually that's what it's worth."
Mike.....I did as you suggested and it works perfectly now! Thank you so much! I just didn't want to clutter up the SSD with the entire program...so this'll work!
Wolfie1038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2016   #105
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

The program is not capable of allowing someone to change the directory or drive. Mike's answer is the correct answer to give you the best of both your needs and the program's needs.

Glad you find it useful. I meant it to help folks organize their tomato gardening data, and made it free for all those who have older computers they use only for the gardens.

And, Thanks, Mike.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch