Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 4, 2014   #16
ChristinaJo
Tomatovillian™

Hope you have a speedy recovery!
ChristinaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2014   #17
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinB View Post
Two weekends ago I was stepping up into our one large (12' x 12') raised bed and fell. I messed up the ligaments and fractured my ankle right at the joint. I'm not sure how it happened, I've stepped up there bazillions of times! This is making everything extra challenging, and the worst part is I can't drive! In my garden everything is in raised beds, most are 4' x 4'. It's still too early to be walking much on it, so DH is out there watering for me every morning (bless him!) I hobble around in the late afternoon looking around as best I can before I have to go sit down again, and it's making it hard to keep up with everything. I've got a LOT of dwarves growing for the Dwarf Tomato Project and I'm not able to watch them as closely as I would like... It will get better, but it looks like my entire July will be in this stupid cast. Sigh.
I'm so sorry to hear that, terrible luck. I'm sure you want to get back out there asap but you need to let that heal properly!
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2014   #18
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for all the encouragement and kind words everybody. I truly appreciate it! Yesterday I was feeling a wee bit sorry for myself. Tomatoes are beginning to ripen out there and I've got lots of help (even if one of my helpers is a sometimes-reluctant 9YO!) I'm thankful that it happened after I got the garden all planted.
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2014   #19
BucksCountyGirl
Tomatovillian™

Sorry to hear, Robin! I hope you have a speedy recovery. Very happy you have a DH to help you on until your mended

Life's a climb...but the view is fantastic
BucksCountyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2014   #20
VC Scott
Tomatovillian™

Sorry to hear about the ankle Robin. I broke my leg in June, 2012. My tomato patch was down some steps and 50 ft down a dirt path from my backyard. I was in a wheel chair and wasn't able to even get down to the garden for 60 days.

My son tried to keep the tomatoes watered, but from the distance I could see things weren't going well. Turns out tomato russet mites got out of control and all the plants started turning brown from the bottom up. I didn't realize what was happening until it was too late. A lot of effort was wasted that year, but it only makes you appreciate the successful years even more.
VC Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2014   #21
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

Scott,
Thanks for sharing your story, I'm sorry you lost an entire season! I know I'm very fortunate and have much to be grateful for! I had a major problem last year with russet mites and I'm trying not to worry! It's been really hot here (over 100, very low humidity though) but everything is doing really well, and I can hobble out there and look a couple times a day. I can't micro-manage things quite the way I'm used to, but that's probably good. It's a humbling experience. Whatever my husband is doing, it's working! I was a little nervous to get up into the big raised bed where I fell, but I got help from DH last night and got up there to take a look. It's all dwarves from the project and there are even a few tomatoes starting! I thinned things out a bit to allow for better airflow. Some of the dwarf plants can get very dense!
Robin
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2014   #22
tedln

Robin,

I wish you a speedy recovery. I know from experience a broken ankle is painful, but it is also a pain in the rear. It really limited my mobility for a long time. In my case, it was a result of sliding into home plate and hanging my cleats in the dirt. Be patient and give it time to heal.

Ted
Old July 7, 2014   #23
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Hope you get well soon. I broke my thumb last week. We are in the process of moving so I won't be able to see an orthopedic surgeon for another two weeks, which is three weeks from when I did it. ( assuming I can find a new FP and get a quick ortho consult). I guess I'm going to need surgery which is supposed to be done NLT four weeks.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2014   #24
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by VC Scott View Post
Sorry to hear about the ankle Robin. I broke my leg in June, 2012. My tomato patch was down some steps and 50 ft down a dirt path from my backyard. I was in a wheel chair and wasn't able to even get down to the garden for 60 days.

My son tried to keep the tomatoes watered, but from the distance I could see things weren't going well. Turns out tomato russet mites got out of control and all the plants started turning brown from the bottom up. I didn't realize what was happening until it was too late. A lot of effort was wasted that year, but it only makes you appreciate the successful years even more.
I did the wheelchair thing last summer right when tomato fruits were forming. This year, I have volunteers all over my flower garden and veggie gardens. I think our flood irrigation or birds carried the seeds everywhere.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote