Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old February 15, 2016   #46
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Was the second method easier to do than what you should us the first time? For those of us a bit building challenged which would be the easiest method?
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2016   #47
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

I found this and thought it was a pretty neat way to put up a teepee...
http://www.animatedknots.com/lashtri...om#ScrollPoint
Old February 15, 2016   #48
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
Was the second method easier to do than what you should us the first time? For those of us a bit building challenged which would be the easiest method?
The first one for sure with me it just took a little more figuring and cutting as I needed to know what the sides of the octagon would be.
But the calculator above helps a bunch for projects like this.
And I must add you have to get your fingers really close to the blade with any of this.
This one I am going to hang the octagon up with a string and put the legs on from a ladder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigiwu View Post
I found this and thought it was a pretty neat way to put up a teepee...
http://www.animatedknots.com/lashtri...om#ScrollPoint
Works for three legs but it is a different story with more that that.

But still not hard.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2016   #49
JoParrott

luigiwu, what an interesting link-thanks for posting it.
Old February 24, 2016   #50
MuddyBuckets
Tomatovillian™

Keeping it really simple. Here is a really easy and quick way to make a tripod or tepee with 4 legs that I made 3 years ago. Pick up a dozen inexpensive furring strips (nominal 1 x 2 x 8) at a big box store along with some 5" long x 1/4 inch flat head bolts, wing nuts to fit and flat washers.

Next, drill a 3/8 inch hole (on the 2 inch side) 2 inches from the top of each furring strip. Then if you are making a tripod, stack three furring strips so the holes line up, put a washer on a bolt, insert through all three furring strips, add another washer and add the wing nut. Loosely tighten the wing nut so there is some "play" in the furing strips.

To protect the legs from rot I use a latex-based synthetic rubber spray from a big box to coat the legs from bottom up about a foot from where the meet the ground. This serves to waterproof them and prevent deterioration.

Stand the tripod up and spread the legs to the desired angle. Stake as described in an earlier post, string and you are ready to go in very little time using only a drill, no cutting involved. At the end of the season they can be folded up and stored for next season.
MuddyBuckets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2016   #51
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Worth... I need some help, please. I got my 2 x 4" and a neighbor is going to cut it for me. Got to take it down to him today. I just don't think I am coordinated enough nor strong enough to make the 30 degree cuts.

The part I am stuck on is where you say "to pre-drill your hole so you don't split the wood."

Probably stupid question, but am I supposed to drill a hole all the way through the 1 x 1 and also make a hole in the 2 x 4 piece then put in a screw?

Also, will this tepee be strong enough to hold cucumbers too do you think?
Old February 27, 2016   #52
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
Worth... I need some help, please. I got my 2 x 4" and a neighbor is going to cut it for me. Got to take it down to him today. I just don't think I am coordinated enough nor strong enough to make the 30 degree cuts.

The part I am stuck on is where you say "to pre-drill your hole so you don't split the wood."

Probably stupid question, but am I supposed to drill a hole all the way through the 1 x 1 and also make a hole in the 2 x 4 piece then put in a screw?

Also, will this tepee be strong enough to hold cucumbers too do you think?
I will start from the beginning.
Yes you pre drill the hole in the legs the holes should be just be enough for you to push the screw though but no bigger.
Clearance holes.
You can pre drill the holes in the 2X4 but they would have to match up so I wouldn't do it if you were worried.
This pre drilling serves two purposes one is the screw wont split the leg and the other is.
If you dont pre drill the hole in the leg the screw will go through and then it has to strip out the threads it made to get started in the 2X4.
It is a pain in the neck and more often results in a poor connection and split wood.

If you want to pre drill the holes in the 2X4 they need to be a wee bit smaller then the root diameter of the threads.
These are called pilot holes.
The root diameter is the smallest section of the threads not the outside diameter.

I will post a pictuer I dont know if you will be able to see it or not.

The Tepee should be strong enough to hold just about anything.
To put this contraption together I would hang it from something.

If you have anymore questions I will be here, no problems.

Worth
Old February 27, 2016   #53
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Worth! : ) I can see the picture fine, but your explanation is a whole lot better. It I can follow. I think I will just do the one hole in the leg. Think I'll do some practicing too before I try it on the real thing. Extra legs are no problem if I mess up, but even though he would do it for me, I would hate to ask the neighbor to re-cut me more 2 x 4 parts.

I'm just happy there are no nails involved. Where most folks can use one nail, you better have a boxful ready for me. : )
Old February 27, 2016   #54
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Your welcome.
To drill the holes at an angle start at a 90 degree angle to the broad and when it starts to make a shallow hole then tilt it the direction you want to go.
This will keep the drill bit from waking across the board on you.
Worth
Old February 27, 2016   #55
whistech
Tomatovillian™

[QUOTE=Worth1;532894]The first one for sure with me it just took a little more figuring and cutting as I needed to know what the sides of the octagon would be.
And I must add you have to get your fingers really close to the blade with any of this.
This one I am going to hang the octagon up with a string and put the legs on from a ladder.

Worth, just assemble it upside down, turn it over and stand it up, sure safer than climbing a ladder. I always find a way around climbing on a ladder.
Old February 28, 2016   #56
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

[QUOTE=whistech;535898]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
The first one for sure with me it just took a little more figuring and cutting as I needed to know what the sides of the octagon would be.

Worth, just assemble it upside down, turn it over and stand it up, sure safer than climbing a ladder. I always find a way around climbing on a ladder.
You cant do it upside down by yourself.
The angle of the wood is wrong.
I tried you need three hands.

Worth
Old February 28, 2016   #57
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Here it is the collapsible octopus octagon bean/cucumber tepee.

I got tied up with two different women at two stores today.
One was at the spice section I was helping her buy spices to make spaghetti sauce.
The other was at the seed rack at Home Depot about gardening we must have yapped for an hour she talks as much as I do.
Well here it is the boards I am using are in the treated weather stripping wood or something. the other none treated stuff I dont know about.
This is a snap to set up and put away.
Worth
IMG_20160228_22735.jpg

IMG_20160228_32908.jpg

IMG_20160228_4282.jpg

IMG_20160228_53741.jpg

Last edited by Worth1; February 28, 2016 at 05:39 PM.
Old February 29, 2016   #58
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

[QUOTE=whistech;535898]
Quote:

That's what I was thinking too. Assemble upside down. When I read about hanging in the air , I thought , oh heck, me on a milks crate, in the air with a drill. That would be the making of a disaster for sure.

Quote:
Here it is the collapsible octopus octagon bean/cucumber tepee.

I got tied up with two different women at two stores today.
One was at the spice section I was helping her buy spices to make spaghetti sauce.
The other was at the seed rack at Home Depot about gardening we must have yapped for an hour she talks as much as I do.
Well here it is the boards I am using are in the treated weather stripping wood or something. the other none treated stuff I dont know about.
This is a snap to set up and put away.
Worth
Attachment 56728

Attachment 56729

Attachment 56730

Attachment 56731
Now that is what I call a tepee! If I send you a SASE would you send it to me?

I like it. Looks like you have maybe two pieces of wood at the top ? How did you hoof them together?

It's really nice! Good job!
Old February 29, 2016   #59
JoParrott

WOW! Put a skin on it and rent it out!
Old February 29, 2016   #60
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

[QUOTE=Starlight;536273]
Quote:
Originally Posted by whistech View Post

That's what I was thinking too. Assemble upside down. When I read about hanging in the air , I thought , oh heck, me on a milks crate, in the air with a drill. That would be the making of a disaster for sure.

Now that is what I call a tepee! If I send you a SASE would you send it to me?

I like it. Looks like you have maybe two pieces of wood at the top ? How did you hoof them together?

It's really nice! Good job!
I was thinking about sending you one if I was rich I would send everybody one that wanted one.

As for the top piece it is two 2X4's I cut a clean edged on with the table saw and glued together with what they call Titebond II weather proof glue.
I buy it by the gallon and use it on everything.
The wood will rot before this stuff will and is food safe fro cutting boards and so on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoParrott View Post
WOW! Put a skin on it and rent it out!
I was thinking off that.

Something like this would be the cats meow for camping.

Now that I think about it there is another way to put the hinges on but it might be weaker.
That would be to put the hinges on the bottom of the top board and let the top of the poles rest on the edge of the top center piece acting as a limit stop.
That way you wouldn't have to flip it upside down to unfold it.
It is easy to get up by yourself but almost impossible to get back down without more than one person or you will bend the hinges as I did yesterday.

Once I get it back down again I am going to change it to the second method.

Be back soon with that one.

Worth