Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 14, 2017   #166
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Anyone try the Rutgers recreated?

http://sebsnjaesnews.rutgers.edu/201...-re-invention/
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2017   #167
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaGardener View Post
No not that one but I am trying the Rutgers PS strain that they brought back.

It's a commercial det type that seems to be the one my Dad used to get for us back in the 1970's

Rutgers improved PS

and also 2 other strains as well.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2017   #168
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
He got on my nerves, but I do agree that if he gets one person interested in gardening - it's a good thing.

I tried watching the one about a friend of a friend taking his beets. I think I lost some brain cells...but I don't remember?
Salt, I just clicked on this thread for the first time and I nearly fell out laughing at your post. I watch his videos from time to time, and have to fast forward to get through them . I do think he is genuine and a great gardener, but he goes on and on and on , repeats himself a lot and takes forever to make a point. It rattles my nerves as well

I almost didn't survive the beets video
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2017   #169
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Why would anyone force themselves to sit through something on YouTube?
There is a guy that goes (And Um) continuously and people have told him about it to no avail.
I wont even bother looking at his stuff.
Another group just copies off of each other, the above mentioned guy is part of that group.
There really isn't nothing to learn from them, much of it is just babble to make another video.
YouTube Goggle or whoever has also started dropping advertising to many of the people that use to get all sorts of sponsoring.
You can look it up and find out why but I am sure most of you folks know why.
Basically if you go on and make a video or talk about things they dont agree with they will drop you.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2017   #170
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Why would anyone force themselves to sit through something on YouTube?
There is a guy that goes (And Um) continuously and people have told him about it to no avail.
I wont even bother looking at his stuff.
Another group just copies off of each other, the above mentioned guy is part of that group.
There really isn't nothing to learn from them, much of it is just babble to make another video.
YouTube Goggle or whoever has also started dropping advertising to many of the people that use to get all sorts of sponsoring.
You can look it up and find out why but I am sure most of you folks know why.
Basically if you go on and make a video or talk about things they dont agree with they will drop you.

Worth
Here is a guy who deserves support
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCE0...joiTmpu9m3vvwQ

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
Old June 17, 2017   #171
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
. . . I am trying the Rutgers PS strain that they brought back.

It's a commercial det type that seems to be the one my Dad used to get for us back in the 1970's

Rutgers improved PS

and also 2 other strains as well.
Did you find info that indicates to you that this is/may be *the* probably regional-only commercial Indiana/Purdue strain your father grew -- with the exceptional toughness, productivity and quality?

As I've mentioned before I follow your Rutgers quest alertly, as all the Marglobe children are my special pets, but the only one that just doesn't do as well for me as other Marglobe children is Rutgers -- so your account some years ago of what you remember about the strain your father grew and how it compared to other tomatoes you grew at the time was particularly interesting.

Not that I'd expect it to *like* having its bare root seedlings bundled and tossed in the refrigerator until they could be planted, flourish and produce bountifully, enabling Dad's tomatoes to always outperform the kid's fancy hybrids [g] . . . but it does suggest that it must have more of the Marglobe qualities than other Rutgers I've grown.

For those new here, below is one of Redbaron's posts from about five years ago about the Rutgers he's seeking. If you're interested you can click on the link in the upper right and see the whole thread discussing why he's looking for a particular Rutgers, not an earlier, later, or other strain of Rutgers -- a Purdue/Indiana commercial Rutgers tomato probably not officially recognized as such by Rutgers University, but remembered by those who grew it.

That thread also has some good info Carolyn added for those interested in Rutgers generally.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showpost....17&postcount=1

Last edited by JLJ_; June 17, 2017 at 11:09 AM.
JLJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2017   #172
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLJ_ View Post
Did you find info that indicates to you that this is/may be *the* probably regional-only commercial Indiana/Purdue strain your father grew -- with the exceptional toughness, productivity and quality?
The name is close, it was bred for commercial, it is determinate, all giving me hope.

But no, I won't know for sure until I grow it. There are a few characteristics that are hard to explain like smell, leaves, etc.. that should indicate it. However, I have had my hopes up more than once and been disappointed. So we will see.

PS If memory serves there was this thing that used to throw me even back in the late 70's. One was called improved Rutgers, the other called Rutgers improved. Was so long ago I keep forgetting which one was the better one. However, I do still remember clearly this oddball thing about the strain my Dad brought home.

AKA The Redbaron

Bill Mollison

Last edited by Redbaron; June 17, 2017 at 01:37 PM.
Old December 17, 2017   #173
stevenkh1
Tomatovillian™

Geez... Rough crowd.

Luke and Cindy live just north of me and are a couple of kids who are into gardening and want to share their passion with others their age. I see nothing wrong with that. And they are good kids. Secondly, us old farts aren't gonna enjoy these young peoples' videos anymore than we would enjoy their music.

With that said, they are young gardeners - not antique experts. They bought what they bought from an antique dealer. Who knows who put the seed packets in the case but it doesnt matter. They bought what appeared to them old packets of seeds. He looked in his MSU Master Gardener's book on how to germinate old seeds and asked also asked for help to germinate them from MSU Extension office here in town.

Who knows if they are 87 years old. Or not. But given gardening is scoffed at by most young kids their age today, I for one appreciate their passion and trying to make gardening, seed preservation, recycling, and conservation cool with other kids via youtube.
stevenkh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2017   #174
mikemansker
Tomatovillian™

Well said, stevenkh1.
mikemansker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2017   #175
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

What's the big deal? 87 years. Pooh!

Now 800 year old squash. That's impressive!

Or maybe not.

Don't believe everything you read on the interwebs kids...
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2018   #176
JohnJones
Tomatovillian™

Deleted.

Last edited by JohnJones; January 19, 2018 at 03:15 PM.
JohnJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2018   #177
JohnJones
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenkh1 View Post
Geez... Rough crowd.

Luke and Cindy live just north of me and are a couple of kids who are into gardening and want to share their passion with others their age. I see nothing wrong with that. And they are good kids. Secondly, us old farts aren't gonna enjoy these young peoples' videos anymore than we would enjoy their music.

With that said, they are young gardeners - not antique experts. They bought what they bought from an antique dealer. Who knows who put the seed packets in the case but it doesnt matter. They bought what appeared to them old packets of seeds. He looked in his MSU Master Gardener's book on how to germinate old seeds and asked also asked for help to germinate them from MSU Extension office here in town.

Who knows if they are 87 years old. Or not. But given gardening is scoffed at by most young kids their age today, I for one appreciate their passion and trying to make gardening, seed preservation, recycling, and conservation cool with other kids via youtube.
Just saw your reply and appreciate the info Steven. Seem like nice folks. He needs to plan his vids more tightly because they are much longer than needed, but I'm happy for their success

I dropped out of this thread long ago because it was bringing me no joy anymore.
JohnJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2018   #178
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

I don't think its fake, some folks do... Decide for yourself.

Last edited by Jetstar; May 3, 2018 at 01:37 PM.
Jetstar is offline   Reply With Quote