Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old April 13, 2016   #16
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
Czech cuisine is not without root vegetables (carrots, root parsley, celery). It gives to each soups and for cooking the most popular Czech food celery is necessary.
To grow up nice root (at least six inches in diameter) must be the seed sown very early (in January) and the seedlings must be transplanted twice. Cultivation is more demanding than carrots or root parsley.
Vladimír
Yes, especially soups and stews. They just don't taste quite right without celery and carrots in them. Thanks, that gives me an idea of what size container to use for width. About how long do they get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakley View Post
My seeds were organized, briefly, over the last holidays in December.
I should have started seeds back then. I was anxious to get going anyway. They would get the proper attention if i start them around x-mas.

Correction about 'celery root'. My grocery calls them celery 'knob'. (on the lower shelf) and celery 'knob stalk' with the roots and green tops attached.
1.49 lb isn't too bad.
I don't know who that grocery store is, but I sure would enjoy shopping in it. All that fresh produce. Yumm and displayed so nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannine Anne View Post
I start indoors under lights from about March to May, barely cover the seed .I use modules and try to sow about 3 or4 to a pot, then thin to the strongest. Transplant when about 4 inches tall about 12 inches apart, rows 18 inches, water often, It likes rich moist soil and is a heavy feed so use whatever fertilizer you prefer. They are pretty easy once they are germinated, then look after them pretty much like celery really. They can bolt early as young plants if the temperature goes down and stays down for a few days the fifties maybe, oh and if you have a carrot rust fly problem they could yake a fancy to it too. That's all I know.

XX Jeannine
Thanks Jeannine. That's a big help.

May take me a couple of seasons to learn to see if they will grow down here. Only root crop folks seem to grow is turnips and rutabaga a few may try potatoes, but no celery or other interesting root crops.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2016   #17
oakley
Tomatovillian™

SueCT, that is Fairway. They are expanding and have maybe a dozen stores now. CT, NY, NJ. The original one is on the upper west side Manhattan at around 125th.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2016   #18
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Starlight,, it has just about the same germination heat required as turnips so if you can grow those you should be OK. Good Luck. I shall be interested to hear how you get on.

XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2016   #19
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

My Celeriac growing in modules is going out today
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote