Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating eggplants/aubergines.

Old July 18, 2006   #1
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Default Thai Green Pea Eggplant

Has anyone tried Thai Green Pea Eggplant? Baker Creek carries seeds for this variety. I am thinking about adding this to my 2007 grow list.
angelique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2006   #2
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

Angelique....I have wanted to try that one too, but seems like I read somewhere it is a little later than most eggplants....I can only get a harvest here when I get a better than average year, so I have resisted.
If you grow it, I would be interested to know DTM as Baker Creek can sometimes leave that small detail out.

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2006   #3
robbins
Tomatovillian™

I grew it a few years ago. The first year it was probably 10 feet tall (from tiny seeds and the smallest slowest growing seedlings I've ever seen!) and loaded with blooms, but nary a fruit. Someone said they would only produce fruit the second year and to take cuttings, winter over and then plant the following spring. I did so and the second year got a 4 foot plant loaded with fruit, but the taste was extremely bitter and not for me.
I asked Jere about it, but seems he'd never tried growing it so had no idea.
robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2006   #4
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Thank you both for the info. If it does take two years to produce fruit, I hold off buying seeds. I plan on giving BC a call before placing next year's order.
Old February 12, 2007   #5
johno
Tomatovillian™

I'm going to be starting TGP seeds soon (first try.) I talked to someone who grew them last year, and they got 10 or 12 feet tall, but never produced fruit. They thought maybe it was a daylength issue. I'm hoping it's just a DTM issue... I think I read somewhere that they live for two years, so maybe you're right about fruiting only in the second year. We'll see how it goes...
johno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2007   #6
cdntomato
Tomatovillian™

I've grown it. It's big, needs heat and LAAATTTTTEEEEE. Definitely a second season producer.

Jeanne, if you haven't already planned to, try Morden Midget and Diamond. Wonderful taste, prolific and within a very short season. I grew 14 varieties of eggplants in a very dismal season (for me) and those 2 shone shone shone.

Jennifer
cdntomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2007   #7
2much2do
Tomatovillian™

Default TGE

I wish I had seen this post b4 I bought the seeds. They are taking a long time to germinate. I sowed them on 1/18 I think and still no sign of anything. I didn't know it was gonna take 2 yrs to fruit. 2m2d
2much2do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2007   #8
Grub
Tomatovillian™

And the plant is really really spiky and 'orrible to work around...
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2007   #9
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Thank you all for the feedback. Although I have a very long summer season in Zone 9, I don't plan on growing this variety. Since I have very limited space for germinating seeds (peppers and tomatoes have already been started), I'll just try growing out the varieties that Craig sent me. I'll also pick up a few varieties from the local nurseries. Most local nurseries carry at least 4-8 varieties of eggplant.
Old March 1, 2007   #10
johno
Tomatovillian™

I was worried about poor germination with the TGP eggplant, so I planted a whole pack. Now I have dozens of the little buggers...
Old March 19, 2007   #11
johno
Tomatovillian™

I potted up the eight best seedlings. Just for the heck of it, I planted the rest outside. The outside ones have just survived two frosts in a row. Interesting...