Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Historical background information for varieties handed down from bygone days.

Old February 16, 2009   #1
Woodchuck
Tomatovillian™

Default Martino's Roma History?

I read somewhere that the origin of Martino's Roma was somehow connected to the Finger Lakes region of New York.

I was born in the Finger Lakes region.

Out of curiosity, I'm wondering if anyone has specifics on the origin of Martino's?

Thanks.
Woodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2009   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck View Post
I read somewhere that the origin of Martino's Roma was somehow connected to the Finger Lakes region of New York.

I was born in the Finger Lakes region.

Out of curiosity, I'm wondering if anyone has specifics on the origin of Martino's?

Thanks.
It's one of the varieties I showed in my book.

My seeds were from Maureen Conway of Ithaca, NY in 1991 via SSE Yearbook. I believe she had listed it before that.

In the 1992 SSE YEarbook it was listed as both Martino's and Martini but my seeds were received as Martino's and that's how I listed them.

Seeds were from an elderly Italian gardener in the Finger Lakes region and no specific village/town, etc., was given, via a friend of his who had brought them to the area many years ago.

And I also know the Fingers Lakes region well, mainly b'c I went to that University high on the hill above Ithaca whose popular song goes.....far above Cayuga's waters.........

From Ithaca I went to the U of Rochester Med School for grad work and time off was used for exploring the Finger Lakes area and revisiting several of the wineries that I'd visited while doing my undergraduate work as part of a course on fermentation.