Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old June 5, 2014   #1
biodarwin
Tomatovillian™

Default First time starting from seed

Hello folks!

I am wanting to plant some tomatoes for the fall season (zone 8a) and I want to start them from seeds this time around. I bought a germination station which is like a mini green house with a heating mat from amazon. I plant to start the seends sometime in the next 2 weeks or so. Then transplanting into 4" pots when they are ready. I also want to have these indoors for as long as I can, given the heat we have in Louisiana. Ideally I would want to plant in mid-august, but I think that may still be too hot? Am I worring too much and they will be fine outdoors mid August?

One idea was to use an old T-5 216watt, 4ft light (from a former saltwater reef aquarium) to possibly grow them indoors for as long as possible. Should I use a bigger pot than 4" so I can keep them indoors longer? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
biodarwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2014   #2
kath
Tomatovillian™

I'm not familiar with how hot it is in LA in mid-August, but if you allow enough time to harden off your transplants they should be able to adjust since they love the heat. Perhaps you could use some white shade cloth over them when they first go out.

Four inch pots should be plenty large enough to hold 8-10 week old transplants. I'm not familiar with the lighting situation you're contemplating but hopefully someone else will jump in soon with more advice.

Best of luck- once you start from seed the addiction increases rapidly.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2014   #3
biodarwin
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for the help! I know tomatoes have issues blossoming in the heat, but if they can grow fine in 95 weather then I should be ok. By the time they get to flowering the temp will be more moderate

Last edited by biodarwin; June 5, 2014 at 07:26 PM.
biodarwin is offline   Reply With Quote