Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old January 24, 2015   #16
Old chef
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I can see where topping the pepper plant would force the plant to put out branches sooner.
This would be of little use to someone from the southwest like myself as we have around 8 months of frost free growing here with plenty of sun and heat.

Worth
It is snowing up North I really wish your southerners would stop rubbing it in

Old chef
Old chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2015   #17
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old chef View Post
It is snowing up North I really wish your southerners would stop rubbing it in

Old chef

Just to make you happy I was running around at 1:30 AM last night.
The temperature was 35F
Been raining for the last few days but it is now sunny and 60 outside.
I suspect it will get cold tonight.
The weather forecast is for around 77F mid next week.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2015   #18
Old chef
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Just to make you happy I was running around at 1:30 AM last night.
The temperature was 35F
Been raining for the last few days but it is now sunny and 60 outside.
I suspect it will get cold tonight.
The weather forecast is for around 77F mid next week.

Worth

Tell me why I don't feel sorry for you Last week after i purchased a cup of coffee, as i approuched my car i slipped on the ice and the coffee landed on the windshield of my car. Got in the car, turned on the wipers and the spilt coffee was now coffee granita on my windshield. But I just remembered you work in Alaska. So you can get a pass- however those other southereners who boost about 2 seasons........

Old Chef
Old chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2015   #19
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

I gladly take our winter over their summer of cesspool and non-productivity. I was talking to a guy at work the other day about cold days in the winter and hot humid days in the summer. My stance is I'll take a very cold day in the winter over a very hot and humid day in the summer because I don't intend on being outside in the winter much anyway, while a hot and humid summer day is like a waste of a day because I'd rather stay inside. Why? Because sweating while doing routine non-exsertive things bothers me. Like picking tomatoes should not bring on a sweat.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2015   #20
peppero
Tomatovillian™

In my part of Tennessee we pretty much have four distinct seasons and each one about the right length. It can be hot and humid though. Oh well.....

jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2015   #21
JJJessee
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
I gladly take our winter over their summer of cesspool and non-productivity. I was talking to a guy at work the other day about cold days in the winter and hot humid days in the summer. My stance is I'll take a very cold day in the winter over a very hot and humid day in the summer because I don't intend on being outside in the winter much anyway, while a hot and humid summer day is like a waste of a day because I'd rather stay inside. Why? Because sweating while doing routine non-exsertive things bothers me. Like picking tomatoes should not bring on a sweat.
Eggzackly.
JJJessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2015   #22
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

The peppers are coming along nicely. First Serrano is just starting to get second set of true leaves. After 3 or 4 sets on each plant I'll pinch the plants and let them branch/bush out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (249.7 KB, 130 views)
Old February 27, 2015   #23
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Did you save any seeds from the store bought pepper? Just wondering if the variety might have been the biggest factor in the production.
I'm going to be late starting mine this year as I didn't realize I had lost my pepper seeds in our move. Hoping they get here soon. I should be able to keep the super hots in the greenhouse in the fall,with lights and a heater. Maybe bring our favorites indoors to overwinter.
I will be starting 4 or 5 super hots (c.chinese varieties), several hots like jalapeno,hatch, Bulgarian and Hungarian types. A few sweets for munching and stuffing.
I forgot to buy paprika seeds. Was hoping to try them this year for smoking. Shoot. Now I need to make another order!
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2015   #24
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

I did save seeds from that plant (although the majority of peppers were seedless and the ones that had seeds only had a couple; http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=34103) So I'm going to grow a few plants of that this year--as the discussion in that thread gets at, I'm not sure if it is male sterile gene that just didn't express itself 100% or it did express itself and each seed represented a cross pollination.

Regarding if the variety was the reason for the production, that is possible. That's why I'm doing the topping experiment with all the varieties I routinely grow--to see if I notice an increase in production.

Good luck with your peppers!
Old February 27, 2015   #25
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old chef View Post
Tell me why I don't feel sorry for you Last week after i purchased a cup of coffee, as i approuched my car i slipped on the ice and the coffee landed on the windshield of my car. Got in the car, turned on the wipers and the spilt coffee was now coffee granita on my windshield. But I just remembered you work in Alaska. So you can get a pass- however those other southereners who boost about 2 seasons........

Old Chef
I'm very far south, I don't have 2 seasons, just one. It goes from August seed sowing until June, when it gets too hot for fruit to set.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2015   #26
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper2008 View Post
I am going to try this on a few of my peppers to experiment.
I never did this last year, but want to try this year since I'm growing so many
peppers.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2015   #27
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

I've topped some of the plants, I'm thinking about leaving some of the others as controls. My numbers aren't enough to draw any quantitative conclusions, but qualitatively I can see what I notice this growing season. The only way I change my mind on the controls is if they start getting too large prior to planting out time, but since I grow the peppers relatively cool, that should hopefully keep them under control.
Old April 2, 2015   #28
drew51
Tomatovillian™

My peppers already have four main branches without topping, setting fruit too. Last year I cut fruit off before plant out, but the plants just kept producing more and more. It didn't seem to stop it, so this year I'm just letting them go.

Last edited by drew51; April 2, 2015 at 03:49 PM.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2015   #29
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Sometimes they do three at a time.
IMG_201504021462.jpg
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2015   #30
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I almost always take out the first blossom so that the plant has time to grow a little bigger before setting fruit. I have found this results in a larger more productive plant; but I always leave a few alone so I can get some early peppers. I only top my peppers when they get taller than my 7 ft top bar.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote