Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 26, 2020   #1
TigrikT
Tomatovillian™

Default EarthBox Liquid Fertilizer Only

Can one grow in the EarthBoxes w/o fertlizer strip, only by adding liquid fertilizer through the tube? If so, how often and how much, going to use a Miracle Grow Plant Food (15-30-15) ? I am growing Sweet Peppers and Pickling Cucumbers in the EB. Planning to give calcium snack too

Thanks
TigrikT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2020   #2
dshreter
Tomatovillian™

You certainly can, but most experience is based upon using a granular fertilizer, so if you go with liquid only you're kind of on your own to figure out the right recipe. I imagine some liquid fertilizers will do a better job than others at wicking into the soil vs collecting at the bottom of the reservoir.
dshreter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2020   #3
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

There was a great thread on Gardenweb about fertilizing in containers. I think this is it.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/14...ants-long-post

This one is helpful too, but includes stuff about the container mix for wicking a dry fertilizer.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/13...container-size

Last edited by Shrinkrap; May 27, 2020 at 09:23 PM.
Shrinkrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2020   #4
TigrikT
Tomatovillian™

thank you to both. I'll give it a try.
Old May 29, 2020   #5
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Weak feeding with almost every watering, preferably in a ratio that is good for tomatoes (2-1-3 would be a good all around). Since the EB is a closed system, the farther away you stray, the more certain stuff will accumulate (in your case that would be P). Should still be ok I guess, if you plan to change your medium every year.
Now, how much fertilizer per liter? If we look at instructions, they say 2 cups for 1 container. That's a pretty hefty amount, at lest 500g. For my pruned to one stem plants, I use about 500l for 2 plants per season (very guesstimate). So let's say you use 1000.
That would mean you should add 0.5g per liter at every watering.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2020   #6
TigrikT
Tomatovillian™

My current mix in the boxes is pretty old. 7-10 years, probably. If I have to change it, I will.
I don't grow tomatoes in EBs. Peppers and cucumbers. Thank you. We will see.
If EB holds 3 gallon, then 1.2 tsp per watering of empty box. I assume 1/3 of that. Or 1/4 of tsp/daily.

Last edited by TigrikT; May 29, 2020 at 04:11 PM.