Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old March 3, 2009   #16
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

Keeps me from being "that lady" LOL!
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2009   #17
Penny
Tomatovillian™

Cool set up....i cant wait to see some pics once everything is growing.
Penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2009   #18
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Barbee,

I edited your picture to show you what I did to secure my Woody Cages (as I have no pictures right now.)

The Black Stripes are where I put some bailing wire on, with eye screws. Both sides; front and back.

The brown color is where I put some extra wood; and buried it in the ground up to that point. This method worked as a "deadman's anchor" which I learned from making a "deadman's post."

I can't figure how to get rid of that white stuff around the picture "crop" didn't work right.

~* Robin
Old March 5, 2009   #19
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Hey Robin,
I think the baling wire is brilliant! I have plenty of that around, and it's something I can do myself. The brown I'm not so sure about, but I'll show the pic to my hubby and maybe he can figure it out. How are yours holding up? Did you put a finish on them?
Old March 7, 2009   #20
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Hi Barbee,

No, I didn't put any finish or paint on them. They're still going strong though. I wonder if they're going to be able to hold up to these Texas winds down here. I see that right now the winds tend to go wild sometimes. Other times it's dead calm wind, so you have to know what to do.

I'm building some simple windbreakers for the tomatoes that will double as "searing sun protectors." They will be made from some simple white sheeting cloth and some 8 foot stakes, so set-up and take down will be easy. I got the idea from a book I just purchased.

~* Robin
Old March 13, 2009   #21
Jimche
Tomatovillian™

Barbee,
Those are indeed cool. Remind me of my days out west working as a geologist on oil rigs. You should get some giant plants going on those! Nice work.
Jimche
Jimche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2009   #22
lumierefrere
Tomatovillian™

Thanks. I always say I'm support-challenged but maybe I can do this. I don't have many tools but I do have a power drill.

B
lumierefrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2009   #23
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Hehe, my neighbor asked me if the rungs were for climbing up to pick the maters. I told him not to worry, I'd get those tomatoes picked somehow. I'm a tad height challenged, but I make up for it in width
Old March 15, 2009   #24
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Vertically Challenged?

What you need Barbee (and me too):

The Grabber

I got this "Granny Ladder" at WM last week --- big flat steps. $34.99.

~* Robin

Last edited by Polar_Lace; March 15, 2009 at 09:47 PM. Reason: forgot something
Polar_Lace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2009   #25
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

I have that granny ladder! It is NICE. LoL @ the grabber. We need a tomato grabber. Surely one of the guys on this forum can figure it out!
Old March 15, 2009   #26
dcarch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbee View Post
I have that granny ladder! It is NICE. LoL @ the grabber. We need a tomato grabber. Surely one of the guys on this forum can figure it out!
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...hlight=grabber

dcarch
dcarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2009   #27
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Hee hee I knew it!
How cool is that!?! Did you buy it like that, or rework one?
Old March 29, 2009   #28
jay695
Tomatovillian™

Default I use homemade tomato cages made of 6" x 6" cconcrete re-inforcing wire

I use homemade tomato cages made of 6" x 6" cconcrete re-inforcing wire with 6 ft height.

The cages they sell at Lowes and Home Depot are too little for my tomato plants.

The aspect that I love most about these cages is that once they are placed around the plant, there is absolutely no additional work - OK, I agree sometimes I may have to discipline a wayward branch back to the cage.

When I was using stakes, it was a constant struggle to keep the plant attached to the stake - every weekend I spent a lot of time tying the fast growing plant to the stake.

I grow indeterminate types.

My cages are about 5 years old now. I think they will last another 10 to 15 years.

During off season I hang them horizontally under the deck.

Here is a link to my blog showing this approach:
http://yourhomegardenblog.com/vegeta...sing-wire-mesh

Last edited by jay695; March 29, 2009 at 12:40 PM.
jay695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2009   #29
Mojo
Tomatovillian™

I just made a dozen new cages along Jay's line. Went to Orange Temple of Doom, bought a dozen 84"x42" (7' x 3 1/2') remesh sheets with the 6"x6" squares, and bend each one into a cylinder, then used Zip-ties and fencing twists to join the rolls together. They're only 7' tall but that's going to be the limit of what I can reach. They aren't currently attached to stakes, but some of them are on plants that are next to stakes that are deep in the ground. I'm actually thinking of running guy lines to my exterior fencing in lieu of staking the cages, it would leave more room for the roots and provide additional places for vines to run.
Old March 30, 2009   #30
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Update on the cages..
I found the dog tie out stake thingies at the Dollar Store for 2.00 each. Yay!
I sent our little after school worker out this afternoon to get my cages and bring them back to the barn so I could attach the baling wire to them, so everything is ready to go when the tomatoes are ready. I hear a big scream and look out the window and he is running as fast as he can out of the building. Seems a skunk has taken up residence in my little storage building He woke him up pilfering around (atually I had just been out there to get some 1 gallon pots to clean up for planting a few maters in so I probably woke him up). I tried to convince him that the skunk wouldn't spray him during the daylight hours but he wasn't buying it LoLoL
So the project is on hold until I can get the skunk taken care of I guess.