Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old October 13, 2006   #1
CLa
Tomatovillian™

Default Experience with Tomato Fest?

Have you ever ordered from TomatoFest.com? Good experience?
CLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2006   #2
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

CLA, I ordered from Tomatofest last year. The filling and receipt of the order was on par with other vendors. But germination rates were lower than seeds from other vendors I tried and one variety I ordered was not what it was supposed to be.
If you want to try them or they have a variety nobody else has, go for it. Make a small order first and go from there. I heard the owner was ill for a while and the company had issues during that time frame.
Check out Mischka's (Links to Commercial Seed and Plant Sellers) listing and that pretty much will give you an idea of the "Who To Go To" Vendor's for seed quality and purity. Hope this helped, Ami
amideutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2006   #3
B4Real
Tomatovillian™

Default Have you ever ordered from TomatoFest.com? Good experience?

I ordered from them for the 1st time this year. I didn't like that they substituted a set of tomato seeds without saying anything. They gave me a freebie packet of another tomato seeds for the hassel. Very quick order-fill time and everything else was accurate. They are for my garden for next year, so can't give you any help for the germination rates. They do have a nice selection and decent prices.
B4Real is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2006   #4
CLa
Tomatovillian™

Hmm, I think I'll pass. I dont like the idea of substitution without informing. Bad buisness. Thanks for thie information.
CLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2006   #5
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

While I don't want to take the fun out of shopping at TomatoFest for anyone, it's certainly not for the budget conscious. I guess I have been spoiled by $1.50~3.00 at TGS and HeirloomSeeds.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2006   #6
B4Real
Tomatovillian™

Gotta love that TGS, great selection and prices too!! I bought quite a big percentage of this years garden from Baker Creek and they were fine too. Definitely getting more form both of these 2.
B4Real is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2006   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

For the least expensive seeds and high quality as to germination and trueness to variety I suggest folks check out Sandhill Preservation.

Glenn sells no seeds that are over 2 years old and each packet has way more than the amount specified as many here have discovered.

At the website note that orders are only taken at certain times of the year, and not via the website, since Glenn is a full time Science teacher and is also Curator of Cucurbits for SSE.

And rthre are over 400 varieties listed.

I send the best of what I grow to both TGS and Sandhill and will continue to do that b'c I trust both of those places and respect the integrity of the owners.

In times past I've also sent seeds to Pinetree, Johnny's and Marianne Jones for trial and that's why Marianne 2was the first to offer AGG online other than the old Wyatt site.

But sending to just those two is good enough for me these days.''It takes Linda a minimum of 2 years to turn around a variety she likes b'c she subcontracts but Glenn can do it in one summer since he grows all his own and produces all his seed.

I've been chatting with Linda at TGS of late and all the info for the new 2007 catalog was sent to the pre-press last Monday. And there are some great new OP varieties that will be offered. No, I can't say what they are and never would b'c there's still time for those commercial folks who read here but don't post, to take that info and run with it.