Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 24, 2018   #2086
bower
Tomatovillian™

Everybody's weather got good I reckon LOL nothing to complain about and just out there getting busy!!! My tomatoes are planted, and the seven day forecast is unbelievable (for us!), a rare stretch of double digit days and nights above zero, still in April. So I am really stoked that I followed the early plan this year.

Crocuses are up today!!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2018   #2087
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

I think spring is finally here. We got 1" of rain over the weekend.
Sunshine and 75f the last 2 days. Most of the garden is planted, just a few more tomatoes and a few more peppers to plant. I love this time of year when it looks like winter is finally over. I hope those of you still dealing with winter, I hope your spring is near.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2018   #2088
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

well, it is almost May.... it sure doesn't look like it.

100_2710.jpg
Old April 28, 2018   #2089
bower
Tomatovillian™

We just broke the record for this date at 20 C and humidex 24 C (68 F / 75 F). Yesterday was pretty close too. This is summer weather for us, not a bit normal for April. But the tomatoes are loving it and yep, we all are loving it. It just started to rain thank goodness, because otherwise I would never come in from the garden nor get one tap of work done.
I didn't even get a lot done in the garden, so warm I had to go sloooow!
Old April 28, 2018   #2090
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
We just broke the record for this date at 20 C and humidex 24 C (68 F / 75 F). Yesterday was pretty close too. This is summer weather for us, not a bit normal for April. But the tomatoes are loving it and yep, we all are loving it. It just started to rain thank goodness, because otherwise I would never come in from the garden nor get one tap of work done.
I didn't even get a lot done in the garden, so warm I had to go sloooow!

29th of April and our low is 35 tonight...
My countertops are full... Mary is going to kill me...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2018   #2091
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Bower... 68 F / 75 F is summertime weather for you... I want to move there.

Summer weather here is 37C for months. I have lived through 45C many-many days, and it's humid here. In July and August, the low temperature early in the morning is usually above 26C.

If you see a dark red fully loaded PT Cruiser with custom trim and a Texas flag flying from the antenna - it's me and Jan.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2018   #2092
edweather
Tomatovillian™

Absolutely primo here now. Sunny, warm, 60 at night, 80 during the day, and low humidity. Plants have topped the cages, but no blush yet. Let me have my fun now, in 2 months everything will be dead from disease and/or bugs, and the weather will be unbearable.
Old April 29, 2018   #2093
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
well, it is almost May.... it sure doesn't look like it.

Attachment 80795
36 degrees a half hour ago.It's 9AM.Going up in the 50's today,near 80 mid week.Summer is near.
cjp1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2018   #2094
b54red
Tomatovillian™

This has turned out to be one of the nicest springs we have had in a long time. The days are now starting to hit the 80s but the nights are still in the 50s most of the time; but I'm sure that will change soon. It is so nice not to hit the end of April with days in the 90s and nights in the upper 60s and 70s. We usually don't have a spring and for that matter we don't usually have a real winter; rather we have a very long summer from April or May into November followed by a fall that goes from late November into March. This year has been really nice with some good cold weather spells during the winter and now a long spring that has actually allowed me to spend more than just early morning hours in the garden without the heat getting to me. I am certainly enjoying it while I can because soon I will be confined to the air conditioned house for most of the day.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2018   #2095
bower
Tomatovillian™

@pmcgrady I feel your pain! That's what our spring is usually like, tomatoes in waiting, and what's happening is kind of unreal. "We'll pay for it later" is what my mother would say, and more than likely right. But we broke the record again today at 20+C and.. Just planted a load of peas, a friend had too many already sprouted so in they must go under row cover of course.

@salt Honestly your weather would kill me I guess... I'm really happy at 68 F. Actually pretty stoked between 50-60 F, aw heck, anything above freezing is fine by me.
Old April 29, 2018   #2096
EPawlick
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
But we broke the record again today at 20+C and...
Bower, your weather is nicer than ours! Yesterday's high was 7.3C. Today's high is 11C/51F and sunny but tomorrow they are calling for 17/63F and 22/72F on Tuesday.

By Wednesday, we'll be back to rain showers but still 23C/73F which is warmer than normal.

Haven't been outside to check on the garden this year because of all of the rain. The daffodils and blue bells are blooming and the icicle pansies are peaking through in the back garden. Finally spring after a nasty ice storm two weeks ago.

Hoping to get out tomorrow!

Last edited by EPawlick; April 29, 2018 at 03:37 PM. Reason: timing incorrect
EPawlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2018   #2097
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Extremely warm and dry April. Still, no one gives tomatoes out, due to the great possibility of night frosts (until May 15).
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg duben 2018.jpg (61.4 KB, 56 views)
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2018   #2098
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
@pmcgrady I feel your pain! That's what our spring is usually like, tomatoes in waiting, and what's happening is kind of unreal. "We'll pay for it later" is what my mother would say, and more than likely right. But we broke the record again today at 20+C and.. Just planted a load of peas, a friend had too many already sprouted so in they must go under row cover of course.

@salt Honestly your weather would kill me I guess... I'm really happy at 68 F. Actually pretty stoked between 50-60 F, aw heck, anything above freezing is fine by me.
Bower, I would freeze my butt off in your weather.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2018   #2099
bower
Tomatovillian™

When I got up this morning it was 0C/32 F at the weather station and freezing fog with windchill -6C. We had just enough glimmer today for the greenhouse to get up to 64F. No worries, the tomatoes are fine with that and tomorrow we'll get some sun again.

Had a visitor this afternoon, in a patch of Egyptian Onions that I didn't finish weeding. Good thing my peas are under row cover.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grouse-may1.JPG (791.4 KB, 42 views)
Old May 2, 2018   #2100
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful! And such a closeup! How close did it let you get?

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote