Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 9, 2016   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Potting Up Temperature ?s

I am/was wanting to pot up some tomato plants today. From seed cells to 16 oz. plastic cups. The plants have been inside our house for about a week straight. It has been too cold and windy to put them outside. So the plants have enjoyed 74F during this week. Today's high temperature is supposed to be 54F and full sun.

Potting up outside on a table would be much easier than trying to do it inside on our kitchen bar. What I'm wondering about is, "Would taking them out of their 74F environment to pot them out in 54F weather damage or stunt them?"

One way or other, I don't have enough cups to pot them all out today. I will be buying cups tomorrow. If I were to wait until Friday to pot them up - the temperature that day is forecasted 70F.

The other question is, I've seen Worth plant in clear glass jars, and I have used red and blue cups. I'm wondering if a dark colored cup (Black/dark Blue/etc.) might attract too much heat once I put them outside to get some sun?
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2016   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Salt I looked at your area it is 54 now and supposed to get to 63.
It is perfect weather to pot up.
Last nights low was 37 and my plants stayed outside.
I checked the soil temps in two containers one light blue and the other black both in full sun.
Both are at around 65 degrees.
The longer you wait to put them out the more time it will take to harden them off.
Have they been out at all?

I cant remember when the last time my plants were in the house during the day even in the wind.
They look great.
But I am farther south than you too.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2016   #3
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

They have been outside for 5 days for 4-5 hours during the warmth of the day last week.

The weather reports around here have been misleading. Several days ago the official low at DFW airport was 32F - yet 25 miles away at another airport in Fort Worth it was 22F. That morning at 7am it was 23F here at our house.

It is starting to warm up here at the house(52F), but still feels cold due to the wind.
Old February 9, 2016   #4
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Today would have eventually been a good day to pot-up some tomatoes. But as it turns out the plastic cups I saved from using twice last year for potting up aren't in the best of shape.

However, I did get a lot of seeds in the mail yesterday and today which lead to research and of course - planting 12 more cells. They're only 3 weeks behind and most are cherry size tomatoes. I used a weak MG solution to moisten the seed starting mix and put them on a 5' tall shelf for extra heat. I received pepper seeds as well, and with over 200 days of pepper season still to come - It's not too late to plant some more seeds.

(I figure Worth is probably shaking his head and laughing)

I PMed a friend for some seeds I want to grow in the fall garden. Sent out other PMs letting those who traded seeds with me know that I planted some of theirs.

I'll buy the cups needed tomorrow and start potting up when I get home. There's some warm weather coming starting tomorrow. They'll get their time outside to grow.

It was a good day for me.

Last edited by AlittleSalt; February 10, 2016 at 12:40 AM.
Old February 10, 2016   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Salt those plastic cups dont last long at all.
You know when you have been drinking out of one too long when it shatters in your hand.

No not laughing I am glad for you to start more seeds.

You mentioned that you didn't know if they made the MG organic potting soil anymore well they dont they now make what they call natures care in a green bag.
I used the stuff for raised beds and mixed perlite in with it.
Works great just needs fertilizer.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote