Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old August 23, 2016   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Seed Saving Jars

I know there are many posts and threads about seed saving jars, but I didn't find any. So here's another thread:

Last year, I used pint sized Kerr jars because we had them waiting to be used. The problem was that it took a lot of tomatoes to get enough juice. By the time I had enough juice, there were enough cherry tomato seeds to share with 50 or more people

So I started using donor tomatoes for juice, and that works if you're growing a lot of tomatoes.

Then I found the right size jars. I now use olive jars. The kind that has the pimento stuffed in them. They are tall and narrow and they work.

Smaller Picante sauce jars work too, and so do the Wyler's bouillon cube jars. I would imagine half-pint canning jars would work as well, but I don't have any of them to try it out.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2016   #2
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

caper jars are very small, narrow and tall. even more than pimento stuffed olives.
Old August 23, 2016   #3
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

The jars don't have to even be that big. I pick these specimen cups for free at work. I'm
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (222.3 KB, 180 views)
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2016   #4
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

I use prescription pill bottles, Amber colored that keeps out light
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2016   #5
aftermidnight
Tomatovillian™

We go through a lot of prepared hot mustard. Keen's or Colman's prepared hot mustard jars are ideal for small amounts of seed. I store a lot of bean seed samples of these in the freezer.

Annette
aftermidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2016   #6
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I use my half pint canning jars for most. If I'm saving seeds from small tomatoes and I don't want to save a lot, shot glasses work beautifully.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2016   #7
gothicgardens
Tomatovillian™

Hope you are getting new specimen jars at work and not used ones.
gothicgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2016   #8
Hunt-Grow-Cook
Tomatovillian™

I use the tall skinny shot glasses when doing smaller batches Robert. I drape cheesecloth over it and secure with a rubber band. Works like a charm.
Hunt-Grow-Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2016   #9
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Been doing this for a bunch of years. I use half pints, pints, and quarts. All of the ones you see have the lids on tight enough to keep the odor out of the room. The mat forms and the get sacs dissolve just as quickly as with the lids off. For small amounts, I add juice from donor tomatoes or I reuse stinky liquid from previous fermentations - but not too "Previous".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fermentation1.JPG (317.5 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg Fermentation2.JPG (308.9 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg Fermentation3.JPG (360.9 KB, 117 views)
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2016   #10
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigiwu View Post
caper jars are very small, narrow and tall. even more than pimento stuffed olives.
Unless you buy your capers at Costco, haha.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2016   #11
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

I use 16 oz disposable waxed paper coffee to-go cups with lids from Costco. place a piece of scotch tape over the sipping hole and I write directly on the cups with a sharpie. Wasteful? maybe but they are recyclable and it is very convenient.
Also, I don't concern myself with having enough actual tomato juices to ferment in. I squeeze/scrape out the seeds, dilute with a small amount of water and ferment.

KarenO

Last edited by KarenO; September 17, 2016 at 02:52 PM.
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2016   #12
ilex
Tomatovillian™

I use zip bags.
ilex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2016   #13
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilex View Post
I use zip bags.

Yes you do, and remembering in that other very long thread about seed saving where I posted what I do,I asked you how long you left the crud in the zip bags and you said something like...a very long time since I am slow.

My concerns,as you might remember,was about oxygen and fermentation and whether you were under or over fermenting.

Carolyn
Old September 17, 2016   #14
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I haven't been feeling well the past few days, but I think I'm getting better. I have been reading the replies here.

Hunt-Grow-Cook, I have used shot glasses too...besides what they're made for

Sometimes, there are only a couple of small tomatoes, and a shot glass is a lot more proportionate.

Karen, I have used a small amount of water at times too.

Ilex, that is interesting. A zip bag.

Carolyn, as you already know, I've written another threat about tomato seed saving. No, I don't remember what that thread was called either. A good friend of ours (Worth) sent me your book. I quit using the coffee filter on top of the jars. On these 10 acres out in the middle of nowhere, there's lots of places to put jars of fermenting tomato seeds that the smell bothers no one. Yes, I have scooped out some grasshoppers, wasps, and gnats are the worst.

I added two things to the tomato seed saving process that you wrote about. One being if there is no fungal mat - I toss those seeds in the compost bin. The other being that I use a folded paper towel after rinsing the fermented seeds to squeeze out extra moisture before putting them on the paper plate.

I would typically go back and make sure I haven't put my foot in my mouth before posting, but I believe in the way that I save tomato seeds.

I like seeing everyone saving them in different ways.

Ted, I have never used a solid lid - at first in 2014, I used a coffee filter over the jar with a rubber band. I know you have been saving seeds longer than I have. I listen to experience.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2016   #15
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Also, I don't concern myself with having enough actual tomato juices to ferment in. I squeeze/scrape out the seeds, dilute with a small amount of water and ferment.

KarenO
Same here. Also, I only let mine dry for about 2 days, then I put them away in marked 2" X 3" zip lock baggies, or mail them off to whomever requested in those baggies. I don't dry for days and days. So far so good, no moldy seeds, at least no one has told me of getting moldy seeds. When I dry them its on a Chinette plate( no plastic coating) covered by a coffee filter. I reuse the Chinettes, but always a fresh coffee filter.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote