Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old September 26, 2017   #91
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

thanks. I was asking about the garlic too but when I got to the end of your recipe (I writing it as I was reading it) then I found fresh not roasted, too. I should read the whole thing thoroughly before jumping in with questions.
Old September 26, 2017   #92
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
wonderful sounding.. now to try them. DH is intolerant to onions and sensitive to garlic. makes it hard to eat other peoples cooking. I have to modify all recipes... sigh. trust me it isn't a choice.
Carolyn, I understand. DW has become intolerant to many things, basics such as wheat (bread, pasta) dairy from cows (ok to have goat or sheep products) wine & vinegar, and many other things. So when we cook, we often have two sets of dishes, lots of overhead.

As you said, skip the onions or garlic and try anyway. A couple of the recipes already offered don't need either, here's one more -introducing tomatoes.

Recipe #5, Start again with #3, grilled EP. This time, let cool well after peeling, so EP gets firm. Dice into 1/2 in cubes. Then dice an equal amount of tomatoes, mix gently all together with 50/50 lemon juice and vinegar, salt and pepper. Douse with EVOO. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and savor with pita bread.

Original recipe includes a healthy dose of mashed garlic Another alternative is to add small diced sweet peppers such as cubanelle.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2017   #93
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Just picked up an older made in USA mirro matic 6 quart pressure cooker at the thrift store.
Great condition even had the round spacer in the bottom and the 5 10 an 15 pound weight guage.
New black gasket too.
15 bucks.
This is the thrift store that makes money for the women's shelter.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2017   #94
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Nice find, good cause and a win-win.

Bringing it back to canning instead of EP recipes: I'm thinking about the AA 30, so I never have to do a (one of many) dumb thing like force cooling a hot canner. Any opinions on that, and would I be better off going to the larger/largest size? Someone mentioned weight when full. No worries, I am built like Hercules and would have no trouble carrying that thing full and boiling hot.

Unfortunately

The extra weight would actually be a plus, so I don't get tempted. Would then be forced to leave it on the stove to cool a bit and de-pressurize on its own before I open it.

Anyone has the AA 41.5 and what do you think of either that or the 30 quart model?
Old September 26, 2017   #95
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboule View Post
Nice find, good cause and a win-win.

Bringing it back to canning instead of EP recipes: I'm thinking about the AA 30, so I never have to do a (one of many) dumb thing like force cooling a hot canner. Any opinions on that, and would I be better off going to the larger/largest size? Someone mentioned weight when full. No worries, I am built like Hercules and would have no trouble carrying that thing full and boiling hot.

Unfortunately

The extra weight would actually be a plus, so I don't get tempted. Would then be forced to leave it on the stove to cool a bit and de-pressurize on its own before I open it.

Anyone has the AA 41.5 and what do you think of either that or the 30 quart model?
The old pressure cooker is being put to use as we speak I have a 1.69 pound boneless chuck roast in it with potatoes onions and carrots.
Downloaded the old Mirro pressure cooker manual.
You can find it here.
http://www.redhillgeneralstore.com/pdf/mirromanual.pdf

Not lets have a discussion about cooling off canners in water.
(((((((NO))))))).
You are getting confused with cooling off pressure cookers in water.
A pressure cooker is not a pressure canner but a pressure canner can be use as a pressure cooker.
Pressure cookers are too small, but you will see pressure cooker on the things mostly old ones.
The instructions say pressure can in models which have the 5-10-15 pound control do not try to can in the single control models.
This manual says cool cooker normally for 5 minutes then put under water.
Which means running water not the swimming pool or bath tub.
For cooking.
The instructions for canning tell you not to fast cool.
I can process pint jars in this new to me canner.

Worth

Last edited by Worth1; September 26, 2017 at 08:30 PM.
Old September 26, 2017   #96
TomNJ
Tomatovillian™

I've owned the AA 30 quart pressure canner for some 12 years now and absolutely love it. It's built like a brick outhouse and will likely outlive my grandchildren, and it never need gaskets. I have no problem lifting it to the stove when full, but then I am 6'3" tall and weigh 210 lbs. A person of slight build would need to put it on the stove empty and fill it there.

The size you need depends on the amount of canning you do. The AA 30 holds 19 pints or 14 quarts, which fits my canning needs quite well. So far I have not needed to do more than two canners full per batch. Batches larger than that in a single day are too intensive anyhow.

TomNJ/VA
TomNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2017   #97
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomNJ View Post
I've owned the AA 30 quart pressure canner for some 12 years now and absolutely love it. It's built like a brick outhouse and will likely outlive my grandchildren, and it never need gaskets. I have no problem lifting it to the stove when full, but then I am 6'3" tall and weigh 210 lbs. A person of slight build would need to put it on the stove empty and fill it there.

The size you need depends on the amount of canning you do. The AA 30 holds 19 pints or 14 quarts, which fits my canning needs quite well. So far I have not needed to do more than two canners full per batch. Batches larger than that in a single day are too intensive anyhow.

TomNJ/VA
truth... I am 5'6... not tall enough to justify moving one that size. I hurt my rib (again) moving the one with 14 pints in it.
Old September 27, 2017   #98
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
The old pressure cooker is being put to use as we speak I have a 1.69 pound boneless chuck roast in it with potatoes onions and carrots.
Downloaded the old Mirro pressure cooker manual.
You can find it here.
http://www.redhillgeneralstore.com/pdf/mirromanual.pdf
Thanks for finding this, Worth! I have an old one I inherited from my mom and it's been stuffed in the back of my cupboard for many years because I wasn't confident of how it worked.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2017   #99
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
Thanks for finding this, Worth! I have an old one I inherited from my mom and it's been stuffed in the back of my cupboard for many years because I wasn't confident of how it worked.
Your welcome.

My 6 quart will do 7 regular mouth pint jars or 5 wide mouth pint jars.
This is perfect for small batch salsa canning.
I can use the instructions for pressure canning sauerkraut.
Less time and energy than a water bath canner.
Both are high acid foods.

Worth

Last edited by Worth1; September 27, 2017 at 01:35 PM.
Old September 27, 2017   #100
upcountrygirl
Tomatovillian™

Worth, we've canned a good bit this year in small batches. But you also know I have a lot of mouths at the table. Anything I've ever canned has never lasted for more than 3 years and no one has ever gotten sick from it, either. We've made salsa, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, whole stewed tomatoes, vegetable soup, green beans, pickled peppers, pepper jam(two kinds), crowder peas, pickles(sweet, bread & butter, & dill) stuffed pepper soup, dill pickle relish/cubes, sweet pickle relish/cubes, chow chow, a lot of different jams & preserves, canned peaches. I'm probably forgetting canned goods.

Thanks everyone for the egg plant recipes. My oldest daughter got us started with egg plant. I used to wouldn't eat it any way. Now I like it in a variety of ways.
upcountrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2017   #101
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by upcountrygirl View Post
Worth, we've canned a good bit this year in small batches. But you also know I have a lot of mouths at the table. Anything I've ever canned has never lasted for more than 3 years and no one has ever gotten sick from it, either. We've made salsa, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, whole stewed tomatoes, vegetable soup, green beans, pickled peppers, pepper jam(two kinds), crowder peas, pickles(sweet, bread & butter, & dill) stuffed pepper soup, dill pickle relish/cubes, sweet pickle relish/cubes, chow chow, a lot of different jams & preserves, canned peaches. I'm probably forgetting canned goods.

Thanks everyone for the egg plant recipes. My oldest daughter got us started with egg plant. I used to wouldn't eat it any way. Now I like it in a variety of ways.

I will be putting up more salsa this weekend.
7 pints at least.
Old September 27, 2017   #102
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Thanks TomNJ, you've confirmed the AA 30q size will be enough for me -for now. Still curious to hear if anyone has the 40q and what they think. Must be a monster

I just started at this, with a Presto that can can (get it? saying it in the best Joe Pesci tone) 7 q or 10 p, so the two together are enough -for now. My season is close to over

I figured out a little step that may help with the longevity of the lids, and attractiveness of the packaging, especially when gifting jars -an important thing for me, as I try to influence friends and family with the benefits of self-preservation and independence.

Once jars are 100% cool, i.e. overnight, i remove the bands and gently clean the jar and threads, with water, and soap if needed -including the bands. I want to know if the seal is good and tight, and if not, best to find out now.

Once dry, I gently coat the threads on the jar and on the band with a food grade lubricant (vaseline or other) and gently tighten. This prevents any acid that leaked out during processing from sitting there and eating away at the metal, especially for gifted items.I do realize that for most, normal practice is to remove the bands for storage, but it's not advisable to do that with gifted items. A little mishandling and easy to knock out and lose the lid -and make a mess.

Not sure what others think, just sharing along. YMMV.

I think I'm due in also sharing another EP recipe -without any onions or garlic ;-)
Old September 27, 2017   #103
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

I take the rings off of the jars I keep and keep the rings on the jams I sell. The lid should be on tight enough that knocking it shouldn't dislodge it. I have to pry it off with a can opener.
Old September 27, 2017   #104
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboule View Post
Thanks TomNJ, you've confirmed the AA 30q size will be enough for me -for now. Still curious to hear if anyone has the 40q and what they think. Must be a monster

I just started at this, with a Presto that can can (get it? saying it in the best Joe Pesci tone) 7 q or 10 p, so the two together are enough -for now. My season is close to over

I figured out a little step that may help with the longevity of the lids, and attractiveness of the packaging, especially when gifting jars -an important thing for me, as I try to influence friends and family with the benefits of self-preservation and independence.

Once jars are 100% cool, i.e. overnight, i remove the bands and gently clean the jar and threads, with water, and soap if needed -including the bands. I want to know if the seal is good and tight, and if not, best to find out now.

Once dry, I gently coat the threads on the jar and on the band with a food grade lubricant (vaseline or other) and gently tighten. This prevents any acid that leaked out during processing from sitting there and eating away at the metal, especially for gifted items.I do realize that for most, normal practice is to remove the bands for storage, but it's not advisable to do that with gifted items. A little mishandling and easy to knock out and lose the lid -and make a mess.

Not sure what others think, just sharing along. YMMV.

I think I'm due in also sharing another EP recipe -without any onions or garlic ;-)
I'm using the ISO 46 hydraulic fluid I broke my new metal lathe gear box in with to put on my rings to keep them from rusting.
All it is, is mineral oil, tasteless.
The jars go in hot dish water to clean then dry no rings on.
After that I wipe the lids with that same hydraulic fluid.
Worth
Old September 27, 2017   #105
imp
Tomatovillian™

I haven't done any canning since...well, putting wax on jellies was the thing.

Last night or this morning at 4 a.m., I gave up on trying to can 9 pints of pork. I had trouble getting the pressure canner up to 10 pounds as the steam was blowing out the side, x 3 attempts. All American 915, brand new.

Finally, after doing a test run as the nice lady at AA foundry suggested, got the lid seated right and now am trying again with more pork.

Belle, the lab, enjoyed one of the jars tonight on her kibble, from this mornings disaster.

Hopefully all will go right this time, it's up to pressure, and now timing it.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote