Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 17, 2019   #1
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Default Mat-Su Express

First time I've grown it. Nice healthy looking plant, and just now ripening, since it was planted late. But is it red or pink? Right now, they look orange-red, but thought I'd read they were pink. Just curious. Grown in a 15x15x10" Rubbermaid planter that I've probably had for 30 years.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2019   #2
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Mine have been and still are, red.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2019   #3
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Red, we have not got any pinks for several generations.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2019   #4
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Last year mine from seeds received from Cole Robbie, grew smaller red and very tasty tomatoes. This year from saved seeds they are still small, red and very tasty, but have deep purple/black shoulders. I grew only pink, red and yellow/pink bi-colors last year, so not sure where the black shoulders came from.
IMG_0002.jpg
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2019   #5
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Thanks! Really nice looking PL plant. In my container (about 1.5 ft3), it's about 4-5' tall. Heavily loaded with 3-6 oz flattened tomatoes. These older Rubbermaid planters have a reservoir base with a cloth wick which helps prevent drying out. Had a bit of BER initially, but none visible now. I'm a couple of days away from tasting the very first one.
Old August 18, 2019   #6
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Last year mine from seeds received from Cole Robbie, grew smaller red and very tasty tomatoes. This year from saved seeds they are still small, red and very tasty, but have deep purple/black shoulders. I grew only pink, red and yellow/pink bi-colors last year, so not sure where the black shoulders came from.
I had this happen with one of my selections for the Acey Dwarf project. Last year the one yellow tomato plant that was given to grow in someone else's garden had what looked like antho tops on all it's tomatoes. None of the same batch of seeds in my garden had it. So I saved seeds from her's, but none of the six plants I'm growing this year have any antho, just a plain clear yellow. So not sure if last year's was environmental, something in that soil, or just some genetic fluke.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2019   #7
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
Attachment 89582
I sent Cole Robbie some F4 seed. I have MSE at F9 and 10. It is a red mini beefsteak that weighs 6-12 ounces. It is very stable too. I grew about 800 plants of it this year, again, the fruit is very stable.
Old August 18, 2019   #8
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
. I grew about 800 plants of it this year, again, the fruit is very stable.
That # is overwhelming. I can't even imagine even with your greenhouses.

What else did you grow? How was your season so far? I guess you have a few more months.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2019   #9
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
That # is overwhelming. I can't even imagine even with your greenhouses.

What else did you grow? How was your season so far? I guess you have a few more months.
I grew, Chapman, Delicious, my favorite pinks, BW, Elgin, RY, Crnkovic Yugoslavian, and YBW, MSE, and a bunch of crosses.
Good overall, it has been a hard year for me dealing with high temps in GH's. We lost several hundred pounds of fruits in the beginning of July, but things are looking better. We picked 700lbs from one GH the other day, we have 5 of 8 full of tomatoes. I am ready for a break.
Old August 18, 2019   #10
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I grew, Chapman, Delicious, my favorite pinks, BW, Elgin, RY, Crnkovic Yugoslavian, and YBW, MSE, and a bunch of crosses.
Good overall, it has been a hard year for me dealing with high temps in GH's. We lost several hundred pounds of fruits in the beginning of July, but things are looking better. We picked 700lbs from one GH the other day, we have 5 of 8 full of tomatoes. I am ready for a break.
Excellent! As you know everyone enjoys your pictures so feel free to post - lol.

700 lbs in one day - YOWZA

Question for you - Plants like RY that are notorious for smaller yields, do you see a difference or are they all pretty much equal in yield to others you grow?
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2019   #11
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I sent Cole Robbie some F4 seed. I have MSE at F9 and 10. It is a red mini beefsteak that weighs 6-12 ounces. It is very stable too. I grew about 800 plants of it this year, again, the fruit is very stable.

Thanks for the update. I knew there were different ones out there but wasn't sure what your final selection was looking like. Is there somewhere I can get F9 or F10 seeds?
Old August 19, 2019   #12
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
Thanks for the update. I knew there were different ones out there but wasn't sure what your final selection was looking like. Is there somewhere I can get F9 or F10 seeds?
I am going to try to save more seed. I am narrowing selections down to just a plant or two based on taste first, fruit shape and size second. Another reason my fruit may be bigger than some reported is we prune, and we cull fruit from trusses. They crank out the fruit way too fast. lol Keep in touch, I will keep you in mind.
Try crossing them to your favorite heirloom and see what happens. I did, and I did it again, and again...lol

Mark
Old August 19, 2019   #13
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

I tried my first ripe one today. Excellent taste -- slightly on the "zippy" side, but not too much so. Pretty small core, tender and juicy, and yes, definitely red w/yellow skin. My estimate on the weight was a little low. These are probably closer to ~4-10 oz. This morning I picked a slightly bigger one at 7.7 oz. This is an ideal size to me. Just right for slices or cut up in a couple of salads.
Old August 19, 2019   #14
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
I tried my first ripe one today. Excellent taste -- slightly on the "zippy" side, but not too much so. Pretty small core, tender and juicy, and yes, definitely red w/yellow skin. My estimate on the weight was a little low. These are probably closer to ~4-10 oz. This morning I picked a slightly bigger one at 7.7 oz. This is an ideal size to me. Just right for slices or cut up in a couple of salads.
Now let one totally ripen to a deep brick red.
Old August 19, 2019   #15
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I am going to try to save more seed. I am narrowing selections down to just a plant or two based on taste first, fruit shape and size second. Another reason my fruit may be bigger than some reported is we prune, and we cull fruit from trusses. They crank out the fruit way too fast. lol Keep in touch, I will keep you in mind.

Try crossing them to your favorite heirloom and see what happens. I did, and I did it again, and again...lol

Mark

Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for them down the road.