Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 24, 2023   #76
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Hi Jano,
am also going to grow tomatoes from the Vesuvius region next year. I grew them already in the period 2014 to 2016, I also tried to preserve them both tied in Pienollo and twigs with fruits hanging on a string. As you write, after some time some of my tomatoes started to spoil, so I consumed the good ones. Then I got seeds of different Ramallet from Mallorca and I still grow some of those varieties to this day. The problem, as Fusion Power writes, is how to get the soil to have the necessary minerals and not be too wet. If you are interested, we would cooperate and exchange experiences. This year I experimented with a higher conductivity dressing (tomatoes absorbed less water) and it seemed to me that the tomatoes were sweeter and tastier. I think this could be the path to success. Of course I have enough seeds of different Ramallet, I also have older seeds of Principe Borghese, Pienollo del Vesuvio and its hybrids from Fusion Power. After ten years I managed to find the seeds of Re Umberto, a variety from sometime in 1877.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2023   #77
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Re Umberto aka King Humbert has been available from several places in the U.S. for many years.

I grew St. LLorenz (de Colgar type) from Ilex this year and found several desirable traits. Fruit are durable on the counter for several months, outer walls of the fruit are very thick, and flavor is very good.

Last edited by Fusion_power; October 31, 2023 at 01:51 AM.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2023   #78
rhoder551
Tomatovillian™

if you intend to eat it fresh it's ok, but there are probably better alternatives that come to my mind right away. If you keep it for winter...in my modest opinion, has no equal.

I'd like to try growing a tomato that can be kept over winter. Right now I have to either make sauce or freeze my tomatoes to have any to use in the winter and of course there is none to slice for a sandwich.
rhoder551 is offline   Reply With Quote