Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old June 28, 2008   #1
uno
Tomatovillian™

Default Red carrots bolting

I like red carrots and I planted kyoto red...my favorite and sunrise red and samurai red this year. I would say over half of them have bolted.

I planted purple haze carrots this year for the first time and none bolted...I love this carrot.

Just wanted to see if anyone else was having this problem and if there is anything you can do about it?

Thanks

Jim
uno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2008   #2
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

I grow small block of a heirloom carrot commercially each year where bolting has become a thing of the past.If you have three different ones growing and two are bolting its the seed and not what you have done.Seed plants that grow in a warm climate sometimes don`t grow as well if the seed is then sent to in a cooler climate, and in your case it just takes a period cold weather which gives the plant enough of a brief false winter to trigger its bi-annual mechanism of reproduction.Local grown seed is better.
Richard
Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2008   #3
uno
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Richard

I just pilled out all of the ones that bolted and they rest are ok. I guess it's just part of the annoyances of gardening. I just never had that many bolt before.

Jim
uno is offline   Reply With Quote