Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old March 18, 2008   #46
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Ray, I've certainly thought of that too and the concerns it brings. I didn't want to try anything that I couldn't correct, so my plan is to watch them and if I see trouble, then drill out at the bottom for full drainage.

I'm supposing even if I had a full 4" reservoir and filled it, that it would wick up pretty fast and there would likely not be many days that the container would have standing water in the bottom few inches. I may even try a clear container to help monitor this.

Remember, a lot of this is the old nursery bug coming out in me. I had a container nursery for a good while and have grown thousands of plants and trees in containers up to 45 gallons. The only thing I'm doing different is not having (at least in the beginning till I see how it works under actual growing conditions) drain holes in the bottom. And I realize that nursery containers have drains in the bottom for a reason. But then you see people buying containers and setting them in a water pan and by having the holes in the bottom of the container the water can get to the soil mix and truly water from the bottom up.

Another part of my plan is the automatic watering system. The old kind with a timer and the whole contraption attached to the water hydrant. The EB's originated from a need to keep more consistent moisture to the plants, and also to not have to hand water as often. Even with drain holes in the bottom, the automatic irrigation (main line with spaghetti drip lines and .5 - 1 g emitters) should handle it.

Anyway, seems good in theory. We'll see. In the meantime I have 21 raised beds, 4 X 12, and ready to plant. My plant date will probably not be until the third week in April. I'll have them in smaller containers inside until then. I've learned the hard way about that mid April blast we usually get. My plants don't mind at all having those extra few days inside at night.

Thanks Raybo! I saw your pictures in the other thread. Great looking containers! You should get a double bumper crop this year!

Don
Old March 18, 2008   #47
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Don, I take it your going to use the rubbermaid containers and rather than put holes in the bottom your going to put a couple holes in the side 2"-4" up from the bottom to create a reservoir. I do the same with my styrofoam ice chests that I use for containers. Unless you are going to water continually you won't have a problem. I have a German version of the EB with a plastic grate sitting up about 2" from the bottom. When I removed the plant the roots had grown down into the reservoir and were quite healthy. Basically the plant was growing hydroponically. By keeping an eye on the aggregate and lifting the containers you should get a feel for what is going on as far as how much water is being retained in the reservoir. Like you said you can always punch a couple holes lower if you think you have a problem. By the time your plants are 3 feet tall you should have it pretty much in control. Ami
Old March 20, 2008   #48
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Ami. I think it will work. Nursery's grow in containers all the time and as long as they keep the spil moist it works fine. It's the every day watering that the home gardener doesn't like, or forgets, and then gets poor results. With an automatic timer for the irrigation it should work well, but still I need to check it every day or so.

I have quite a few 24 gallon Rubbermaids ready to go. Will be trying some blueberries in a few also. Will keep you posted on progress.

Don
Old October 26, 2008   #49
hasshoes
Tomatovillian™

How did the trials turn out?
hasshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2008   #50
roamwhereiwant2
Tomatovillian™

Please - what did you learn? What's the end of season report?

Yvonne
roamwhereiwant2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2008   #51
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamwhereiwant2 View Post
Please - what did you learn? What's the end of season report?

Yvonne
Yvonne,

See this thread on what I learned:

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=9701

Ray
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote