Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old December 10, 2008   #16
tuttamatta
Tomatovillian™

Default fall/winter greens

I've grown Mache` for a few years now here in Portland, Oregon and the cold in the winter does not effect it (of course the winters here are much milder that in other areas, this coming Sunday, Monday and Tuesday will be 18 F at night so, I will see then how it fares).
I really like Mache` in my salads as well as Radicchio that gives salad green all winter long.
Paola
tuttamatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2008   #17
dokutaaguriin
Tomatovillian™

I decided to cut the remaining leafy greens and Japanese long green onions even though it was 6C (42F) and will be 1C (34) tomorrow. The weekend will bring a real Arctic Front lows into the -30C (-22F) and beyond!!!!
dokutaaguriin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2008   #18
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

I'm in Zone 6A and the forecast for the Monday night low is 13 F. I took advantage of warmer weather today and harvested the remainder of my carrots (about a bushel including the tops). I also harvested three savoy cabbages.

We don't get enough snow to help with insulation. I could have covered the carrots with straw, but in the past that hasn't worked all that well to keep the ground from freezing, either. The carrots don't seem to be fazed by the frozen ground, but of course I can't harvest them then, either.

The deer will be sorely disappointed that there are no more carrot tops to munch on.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2008   #19
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

I planted mache 2 years ago, and it came up by itself last year and this year. It doesn't emerge until the rains start around November. I added 6 inches of compost to the bed where it normally appears, so it's only on the edges there, but it migrates each year anyway.

I've also had claytonia (miner's lettuce) in my garden, which is native to California. It was a favorite of one of the dobermans -- I'd pick the little round leaves for her. (The other doberman preferred to eat nasturtium leaves and stems on his own.)
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote