Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 8, 2021   #16
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

That's a beauty!
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2021   #17
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl2601 View Post
Thank you, community, for your comments!
PaulF- loved your comment to grow all hearts if I could I would,
Karen O, if I can just grow two or three of your hearts which should I choose for my Denver conditions?
Carol- thank you so much for chimling in. I actually was thinking about Vera's and I have a source, Is it that good?!! Maybe I better get in before the crowd,
Just as an FYI i maybe should have said my three favorites I always grow are Brad's Black Heart, Orange Russian 117 , Swoon( which I did not mention because I keep that separate) and Rosovyi Myod. These are go to's. If I did not have them I would be sad.
So Wes and Anna Russian , Fishlake Oxheart a nd Sheryl's Portugese Heart are definitely missing? I was thinking someone may comment on Granny's heart too...
Anyone else want to weigh in?
I thank you experienced growers so much !
I want to ask, is Swoon your favorite heart too?
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2021   #18
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I'll chime in on Granny's Heart.

I've attempted to trial it several times. The one time I perhaps had the correct variety, it produced mainly beefsteaks along with some very blunt hearts.

The other times I trialed it, it produced off-type leaves and/or fruit color and fruit shape. From there, I've been selecting variations that, to me, have better flavor than the original. And, the original has very, very, very good flavor. "Swoon" and "Bacon Lettuce and This" come from these selections. And, there are several more in the works.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2021   #19
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Tormato for all that info
Raising my hand in the corner to volunteer to trial your selections because ...yes Vladimir, Swoon is at the top of my heart Favorites. It will always be in my garden. Can't wait to see what else Gary comes up with.
Well done Tormato!
Old February 9, 2021   #20
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

I received seeds from Tormat from MMMM in 2018. In the fall, I planted two seeds along with determinants for my cold bed. It was a mistake. Last year I used two more seeds, but the whole season was a failure for me, I did not harvest any ripe tomatoes (Verticilium or Fusarium). I have one seed left, so I'll pick it up. Maybe it will work. I would probably still find a place for one plant.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2021   #21
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl2601 View Post
Thanks Tormato for all that info
Raising my hand in the corner to volunteer to trial your selections because ...yes Vladimir, Swoon is at the top of my heart Favorites. It will always be in my garden. Can't wait to see what else Gary comes up with.
Well done Tormato!
Do you remember what the flavor was like on the regular leaf variant of Swoon (the one that you came up with)?
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2021   #22
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

It was very close to the PL. I will grow both again. Swoon is that much of a winner.