Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 1, 2014   #136
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

If it is some sort of cross, I may be the source. Was Glacier a "pink labeled" pack?

A tall healthy PL plant with blunt heart-shaped fruit sounds like half, or more, of the plants I've had in my garden for the past few years. I couldn't tell you what experimental one it may be a cross from, though. I've been getting PL blunt hearts from a completely unknown variety (working name for this experimental PL heart is "Kardia Karpos"), from Aunt Ginny's Purple, "Prudence" (hi Carolyn ) Purple, and Granny's Heart.

I SWN for anything that's PL and heart-shaped.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2014   #137
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

cool, thanks Gary, looking forward to seeing what it turns out to be.
Karen
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2014   #138
bower
Tomatovillian™

Holy cow, KarenO, it's the magic of Mystery Maters... somehow you ended up with yet another PL heart, the very thing you desired!!
While my 'Sasha's Altai' turned out to be a mystery piriform, in response to my craving for pear shapes this year. There is no accounting for it other than magic.... who (not even I) could have predicted which one of the dozens of 'non-pear' varieties I would actually grow this 'year of the pears'.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2014   #139
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

"heart's desire..." now Bower, that is a GREAT name for a tomato!

Karen
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2014   #140
bower
Tomatovillian™

Keep em comin', KarenO!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2014   #141
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Hmm, you both got what you unexpectedly were looking for.

I think I'd like some beans, something along the lines of a Jack, a giant, and a goose that lays a...

Gary
Old August 5, 2014   #142
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Gary,

How about a golden tomato? My Chadwick had some very pretty golden fruit. At first I thought I'd mixed it up with Jaune Flammee, but now that JF has ripened I can tell that they are different!

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2014   #143
patty_b
Tomatovillian™

Mamie Brown's Pink.... wondering who might have sent this into the swap and if there is any background for it? I love it and for it's return!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2014-08-06-16-44-20-1-1.jpg (209.2 KB, 150 views)

Last edited by patty_b; August 6, 2014 at 04:52 PM. Reason: pic
patty_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2014   #144
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
Gary,

How about a golden tomato? My Chadwick had some very pretty golden fruit. At first I thought I'd mixed it up with Jaune Flammee, but now that JF has ripened I can tell that they are different!

Linda
I've already done the golden tomato thing. Doubloon is it's name. I'm waiting on a PL plant of what is supposed to be Gajo de Melon. That's the most anticipated one in the garden, this year. I have no idea what color it's going to be, as I really don't know what color GdM is supposed to be.

Gary
Old August 6, 2014   #145
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
I've already done the golden tomato thing. Doubloon is it's name. I'm waiting on a PL plant of what is supposed to be Gajo de Melon. That's the most anticipated one in the garden, this year. I have no idea what color it's going to be, as I really don't know what color GdM is supposed to be.

Gary
Gary, I've grwm Gajo de,Melon and on Tania's page for it she says RL, and on that same page you'll see that Neil in IL got seeds from the original source and he sentseeds to me.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Gajo_De_Melon

https://www.google.com/search?q=gajo...w=1402&bih=528

Above more pictures, 2nd row far right, Reinhard's picture I think is best,

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=gajo+de+melon

Google search above but that's not what I got with seeds just one person removed from the original source/

I thought it was bland as could be , didn't taste like any melon I've ever tasted and never grew it again, never SSE listed it and never offered it in any seed offers I did either.

Perhaps a bad summer. I can't remember what other ones I was growing that season and how they did.

I can only hope that yours does better, but in all the descriptions I've not seen it described as PL,which does make me wonder. But you'll know soon enough when you see the fruits/

Carolyn
Old February 1, 2021   #146
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
Thanks for looking, Gary! I guess I'm going with plump, yellow, from the UK, and (based on an old thread at idig and a photo I found here - http://vivekagardens.com/tomato-time/) cherries.
Has anyone grown this , shared in older MMMM? Tase / production / earliness and all those other details please! I have a few seeds in the tea envelope. I don't usually grow cordon style but hate to have a rare seed go to waste.

Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2021   #147
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

2021 MMMM Seeds arrived, thank -you Gary. PM sent.
Old February 23, 2021   #148
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Default Blast from The Past

can someone remind me what the growth habit and DTM of this is. I really should keep a journal ..

The new neighbor kiddos might enjoy the color in their salad.
Maybe I can talk their papa into starting a dwarf garden for them.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
This thread will be for questions about varieties received, and any other questions. I'll start it off.

Many of you will receive...

"Blue Suede-uth Shoes" F1 (RL)

...and would likely have questions about it.

It's a small/medium red globe with dark purple to black shoulders.

This is what I believe is a natural cross of OSU Blue and Brandywine Sudduth, from my garden in 2011. I'm estimating I saved about seven tomatoes, so maybe 1 in 7 will be RL, and the rest PL (Brandywine Sudduth). That's if no other crossing took place.

I know what Brandywine tastes like. I don't know what a suede shoes tastes like. In my garden, it was a toss-up as to which it more resembled in flavor. But then, red tomatoes are usually lousy tasting, from my garden.

I also have F2 and F3 seed, not sent in the swap.

Dr. Lve Apple