Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 27, 2017   #16
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonValley View Post
I had them last year, and noticed that they also really enjoy squash and tomatillo leaves. It was such a hassle when they spread all over the yard. I'm using an inoculant this year, but will resort to an organic garden dust (chrysanthemum-derived) if needed.
That's interesting, I've heard that they will feed on Tomatillo. I never grew any tomatillo until my beetle problem disappeared, so I never observed that.
There a probably some differences in feeding habits of the Striped Cucumber Beetle that we have in our area of the country vs the Western Spotted Cucumber Beetle. Some areas of the country have both. I know the spotted cucumber beetle is known to feed on many different species of plants. They all like flowers because they like pollen and nectar.
Their larva which hatch from eggs in the soil feed on roots. someone said before that they can cause Fusarium Wilt also, but that's not because they are a vectors for soil borne diseases like Fusarium, the roots injured by the beetle larva are much easier for Fusarium to infect.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote