Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 16, 2018   #1
EarlyBird
Tomatovillian™

Default Hits and Misses So Far?

Hi Folks,

I just thought I'd give an early season run down of the tomatoes so far:

Jaune Flamme - Incredibly productive, like, wow! The flavor is quite nice, but not knocking me out.*

Earl of Edgecombe - So far the best tasting of the tomatoes, and quite productive. And talk about perfect, beautiful orange orbs.

Black Prince - Disappointing yield and underwhelming taste.*

Cherokee Purple - I'm getting a LOT of tomatoes for this big heirloom, and most of them are big. I'm not terribly knocked out by the taste, however. Expected a classic beefsteak but it's rather bland.*

Celebrity - Got this non-heirloom for insurance, and it's been pretty hardy. The biggest hit it's taken so far was severe sun scald when we went through a brutal early heatwave a couple of weeks ago. But nice and productive and a class market type tomato - only much more tasy.

Mystery Cherry - I had bought a plant labeled Sun Gold, but these are very red mystery cherry tomatoes. They are just what you expect from a cherry tomato. Incredibly productive, like, help me! Too many tomatoes!

* I had been giving too much water to the plants after they started producing fruit, leading to a watery, insipidness. I have cut way back and am noticing better flavor now.

What about your early season report?
EarlyBird is offline   Reply With Quote