Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old March 3, 2009   #1
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Default parsley root?

This week I've been thinning out the Italian (flat) parsley that has taken over my garden, some of it with half-inch-thick roots. Coincidentally, I noticed seeds for "parsley root" in one of the catalogs. Does anyone grow parsley root, and how do you use it? I was thinking of using it like parsnips, either roasted or in soups.

I've also harvested lots of mache (before it starts elongating and going to seed) and kale (flowering tops just short of flowering) this week.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2009   #2
roamwhereiwant2
Tomatovillian™

Here's what I found at Wikipedia:

Root parsley

Another type of parsley is grown as a root vegetable, as with hamburg root parsley. This type of parsley produces much thicker roots than types cultivated for their leaves. Although little known in Britain and the United States, root parsley is very common in Central and Eastern European cuisine, used in soups and stews. Parsley grows best between 72 to 86 degrees Fahrenheit (23 to 30 degrees Celsius).
Though it looks similar to parsnip it tastes quite different. Parsnips are among the closest relatives of parsley in the umbellifer family of herbs. The similarity of the names is a coincidence, parsnip meaning "forked turnip", it is not related to real turnips.
roamwhereiwant2 is offline   Reply With Quote