Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old September 18, 2006   #1
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default What Other Veggies in Pots

Tomatoes and, to a lesser extend this year, eggpalnts and peppers, plus herbs, and a cut-and-come-again salad bar, plus maybe a cuke or two, are all I grow in summer.

Backyard space is at a premium. But I would dearly love to grow some pumpkins, squash, zucchini and more.

Have you grown any of this stuff in pots, say, 10-gal pots. I always have room for a few more pots? I think.

Any other potplant recommendations for veggies to go with the tomms, eggplants and peppers, salad and herbs.

Thanks. Grub.
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2006   #2
psa
Tomatovillian™

Default Re: What Other Veggies in Pots

This year I grew the following in 7G grow bags:

Tomatoes - many types, lots of fruit
Cantelope - 5 nice melons from one plant
Butternut squash - only developed two squash
Scarlet Runner bean - crop is just coming in for me (doesn't like my heat) so too early to say, but the plant is large
Carrots - bugs ate 'em. Will try again.
Onions - nice plants

I also container grew blueberries (10G, third year), grapes (15G, fourth year), chives (16" shallow, third year, suffers from heave), and lots of herbs.

I should probably add that I mix my own soils and all of the bags start 2/3 full (75% home-cooked unsifted compost, the remaining being peat, perlite, and dolomite lime), with an added layer of compost once the plant matures. This compost is not fully broken down and I feed fish fertilizer to the nitrogen-needy plants (read: not the tomatoes or the beans) a couple times through the season to offset the ongoing decomposition of the carbon products in the mix.
psa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2006   #3
username5
Tomatovillian™

I don't think there is anything one would grow in an edible garden that can't be grown successfully in containers.

Lots of people have failures, but that is almost always due to not understanding how container culture differs from in ground gardening rather than there being anything about the plant that makes it a poor choice for containers.

It's kind of a trial and error thing. I have lots of trials (and errors) under my belt so I am something of an expert on what not to do.

In general, more water and more fertilizer more often than the same plants in ground. Much more and much more often.

All of the vine crops you mentioned I think are best grown in containers rather than the ground and given something to climb or ramble on like a deck railing. If you place the containers near where you hang out the plants are much less likely than those 'in the back' to be done in by pests and diseases you don't notice until you just see a shriveled vine.

Whiskey barrels are terrific containers for large crops like those although you can certainly go smaller if you increase the frequency you water and feed. There are half size barrels that look like whiskey barrels, but they are just made from cedar for containers, not actual recycled from other uses. These are also a great size and take up less room and look terrific just about anywhere.
username5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2006   #4
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Thanks.

I will sort through the seed stash on the weekend. I have quite a few heirloom veggie seeds that have never seen the light of day.

The half wine barrels cost $70 here. I bought one. Might get another. But they are big. Will try some 10-gal pots. Have to do some fieldwork on the best remaining spots, as the hot afternoon western sun is a problem.

But I have a lot of stuff I could try including a wonderful collection of onion seeds I'm keen to sow. And little pumpkins and squash and zukes.

It would be nice to have a mixed harvest.
Old September 18, 2006   #5
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

I've grown these in pots & many others.

pumpkin - 'Jack-Be-Little' - Authentic Miniature Pumpkin - Trellised - Fits into the palm of your hand. Bright orange, smooth fruits are an arts-and-crafter's dream. Fits any garden! Compact vines spread 10-15 feet, 1 vine produces 10 to 20 edible fruits. Pumpkins are perfect for making pies, caving into jack-o lanterns and decorating.

Height - 24 - 36 in
Spacing - 5-8 feet between hills ( Trellised - 2 plants per 3 gallon container. )
Sow Depth - 2 in
Spread - 10-15 ft
Sun/Shade - Full Sunlight
Germination - 8-10 days
Days To Maturity - 100days
Yield - 10-20 fruits per plant
Fruit: deep orange rind with firm flesh. Flattened, deeply ribbed fruits.

squash - 'Ronde De Nice' - 1 plant per 3 gallon container. 45 days. Round zucchini, exceptional flavor, delicate skin bruises easily, vigorous fast-growing plant, serve steamed at 1 inch diamter or stuffed at 4 inches, sought after in France.

zucchini - 'Grey Zucchini' - 1 plant per 3 gallon container. 42-65 days. Medium-green skin mottled and flecked with grey, cylindrical, tapers slightly to stem end, pick at 6-8 inches, small seeds, open semi-spiny bush plant, heavy early yeilds, no concentrated fruit set so better home garden variety than the hybrids, popular in Southwest and Mexico. Introduced in 1957.

Winter Squash 'Sweet Dumpling' - Trellised - 2 plants per 3 gallon container. 83-100 days. Oriental variety, compact 5-6 ft. plant, teacup shaped ivory colored fruits striped & mottled dark green, 3-4 in. diameter, 7 to 16 oz., tender sweet orange flesh, 10 fruits per plants, suitable for stuffing, requires no curing, stores 3-4 months.
Old September 18, 2006   #6
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Nice Harvest.

I'm impressed!

This opens up a whole new range of possibilities.

Thanks Robbins.

I'm sure the chickens would like something growing around their run
Old September 18, 2006   #7
dcarch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar_Lace
I've grown these in pots & many others.

I give you the Green Thumb award!
dcarch
dcarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2006   #8
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Grub,

I'm not Robbins.

Just Robin like the little bird.

Robbins is someone else.
Old September 18, 2006   #9
Grub
Tomatovillian™

I knew that Robin.

I slipped up :wink:

Robbins has so much room that, I'm supposing by the sounds of things, she would have no use for pots.

Thanks for your help.
Old September 18, 2006   #10
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I've also grown the Ronde de Nice zucchini in a pot and it did well. Two others to consider are Golden Bush Scallop and Benning's Green Tint if you like patty pans.

You could try some smaller melons with shorter vines like Jenny Lind, Minnesota Midget and Bush Sugar Baby.

You can grow bush beans in a half whiskey barrel but I'd choose a variety that's ready pretty much all at one time. Otherwise you'll just be picking a handful every day.

Also baby carrots like Little Finger, Minicor or Thumbelina.

Have fun experimenting!
Old September 19, 2006   #11
username5
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grub
The half wine barrels cost $70 here.

I picked up 5 at the end of the season for $7 each. Walmart and Menards (like a Home Depot) both had them for under $10 each ($15-20 in season).

At $70 each it might actually be cheaper for me to buy them, upcharge you $10 and have you cover shipping (not being serious). $70 is simply insane for what is essentially an industry waste product.
username5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2006   #12
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Wow. Polar_Lace. Those winter squash are absolutely beautiful!
angelique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2006   #13
MawkHawk
Tomatovillian™

Regarding small melons in 7 gallon containers, how many plants could I plant per container? I'm talking about small, short vine melons like Eden's Gem, Schoon's Hard Shell, MN Midget, etc.

Thanks.
Old September 19, 2006   #14
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

The only other veggies I grow in
pots (so far) are peppers -
They did really well for me this year ~

Tom

Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2006   #15
daylilydude
Tomatovillian™

I use a half whiskey barrel to grow radish and carrots they are called little finger carrots and trust me that whiskey barrel holds my family in baby carrots for a while.